Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee. I recently let a friend borrow it for a couple of weeks while their car was being repaired. Now mine needs repair and I can't figure it out. The security system keeps going off every time you turn the key. The only way to stop it is to unhook the battery. There is no working remote. I only had one, and it just stopped working about two years ago. I've been using the key to unlock the doors ever since. I tried buying a complete (used) set consisting of the computer, the SKIM module, key switch and key. Did not help problem at all. The engine will turn over but will not crank. The battery is good. I'm at a loss. Any ideas how to correct this? Its been sitting for about 4 months now, and if I don't get it cranked soon, I"m afraid the fuel system will be ruined. PLEASE HELP! And advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can order a pcm for 100-125 with IMMOBILIZER removed or deactivated all you do is give them your vin they will write it to pcm send to you and you unplug IMMOBILIZER from ignition then plug com in and good to go ive done it on all 3 of my jeeps and have not had a problem since just dont plug IMMOBILIZER in once new pcm is installed. All computer resources is a good company or there are a few others as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can order a pcm for 100-125 with IMMOBILIZER removed or deactivated all you do is give them your vin they will write it to pcm send to you and you unplug IMMOBILIZER from ignition then plug com in and good to go ive done it on all 3 of my jeeps and have not had a problem since just dont plug IMMOBILIZER in once new pcm is installed. All computer resources is a good company or there are a few others as well.
Thanks for the information. I was going to go that same route, but wanted to be sure it would work properly. Like I said in my post, I bought a cop\mplete used set (PCM, SKIM module, igntion switch and key) from a place on ebay and it still did the exact same thing. Wasted $100 bucks, but I'm over that. Just didn't want to "waste" any more. How sure are you this will fix my problem? No worries, I won't blame you, HAHA! I just like having second opinions. Thanks!

·
The beast from Brazil
8,300 Posts
To understand your problem well, what do you mean with that the security system goes off every time you want to start and you have to reset with a battery disconnect? The car alarm?
It doesn't start at all, or just for a moment and then shuts off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To understand your problem well, what do you mean with that the security system goes off every time you want to start and you have to reset with a battery disconnect? The car alarm?
It doesn't start at all, or just for a moment and then shuts off?
Yes, the alarm goes off (flashing lights, honking horn). And the engine turns over but it will not run at all, not even a second. And the only way to stop the alarm is to unhook the battery.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,300 Posts
Did you check all the fuses?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, not all of them. I did manage to find the one for the security system, but the fuse was fine.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,300 Posts
Yes, it could be as simple as that. But that the alarm doesn't disarm is probably a problem with the arm/disarm switch in the drivers door lock mechanism. The alarm doesn't sound if you open the door? Only when trying to start?
The alarm system itself should't cause the no start problem though. The immobilizer system also shouldn't prevent it from starting, but the engine would shut down after a few seconds of operation.
Since it doesn't even start, i would check the fuses first: In the PDC under the hood the fuses F6 (30A), F16 (15A), F19 (10A) and F24 (20A) and on the junction block under the dash fuse F12 (10A).
If you put the ignition switch to RUN, but don't start, does the alarm already sounds? If not, do you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds and then shut off? The noise level is quite low, so maybe a helper can listen at the fuel fill opening while you switch the ignition in RUN.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it could be as simple as that. But that the alarm doesn't disarm is probably a problem with the arm/disarm switch in the drivers door lock mechanism. The alarm doesn't sound if you open the door? Only when trying to start?
The alarm system itself should't cause the no start problem though. The immobilizer system also shouldn't prevent it from starting, but the engine would shut down after a few seconds of operation.
Since it doesn't even start, i would check the fuses first: In the PDC under the hood the fuses F6 (30A), F16 (15A), F19 (10A) and F24 (20A) and on the junction block under the dash fuse F12 (10A).
If you put the ignition switch to RUN, but don't start, does the alarm already sounds? If not, do you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds and then shut off? The noise level is quite low, so maybe a helper can listen at the fuel fill opening while you switch the ignition in RUN.
Ok. I've dug into this a little more. First, I had a key fob that wasn't working. I fixed it by bending a little metal tab inside it. After I did that, I was able to get the alarm to stop going off. But it still will not start. The little symbol with the key comes up on the instrument panel. I took the driver's door panel off, and looked at the litttle white sensor around the lock cylinder. The wires had broken off of it and were just hanging there. Is that going to be my issue? I did try just twisting the two wires together - didn't work. Then tried putting a simple rocker switch on the two wire - didn't work in either position of the switch. Should I replace this item? I have one original key and one working remote. I think a new door key sensor is about $50 bucks. What is your opinion? Also, I have checked ALL fuses and they are all good. Thank you.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,300 Posts
Yes, when the SKIM is not electrically connected, the key symbol will stay lit and the engine should start, but shut off after a few seconds. The PCM needs the key OK signal from the SKIM for the engine to continue running. You can get a used SKIM with antenna ring, but it them must be programmed. Or let your PCM be programmed with a SKIM delete or get a remanufactured PCM with the SKIM delete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts