Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2001 WJ Limited 10-Disc CD Changer Help

22K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  00jeepwj9 
#1 · (Edited)
So ever since I've had the Jeep, It's had the 10 disc changer in the back. I've never been able to use it nor do I see any controls on the dash that would indicate using it.

1) How are you supposed to switch between CD's? I think it's weird that I have the Infinity system with a 10-CD changer and no way to control it up front lol

2) I think it could be broken, How much would it cost to have it fixed? or should I just get an in-dash CD deck mounted?

#2 ·
Have you loaded the magazine with discs?
Can you attach a pic of your headunit?
Do you have buttons behind the steering wheel for volume and stations?

#3 ·
If you have the factory infinity gold system you should be able to hit the 'CD' button again to switch from front disc to the rear cassette. To go back and forth between discs you can push the radio preset 1 and 6 buttons (they should have little arrows on them, and that CD button should say cd-c on it as well for the cd 'cassette'). It needs to have at least one disc in it to be selected.

#6 ·
Well, I can't be certain being that mine is an 04, but I have to imagine if you have the Infinity system, you've got steering wheel controls. But who knows. That's easy enough for you to check next time you're going somewhere.

If it won't eject, then there either isn't a magazine in it, or it's shot, or there is an issue with the wiring. If you want the capability, you could probably find one on ebay pretty cheap. Or you could focus your efforts on getting an Ipod kit that would use the input from the CD changer to play music off your Ipod.

#7 ·
I certainly will check, It's not that big of a deal to me but it is a shame I can't use something that came with it from the factory. I always contemplated getting just a new CD Deck/Header from like Best Buy with an Aux port for an iPod or MP3 player, So I'll probably go that route.

#8 ·
Strange, my 01 has a 1 cd slot up front along with the 10 disc in back. That looks very little like the head unit in my Jeep. Even the laredo had a cd player up front. For an 01 I would have to say that is not the original unit.

#9 ·
Well if you want to keep it as inexpensive as possible, I have a headunit that should work for ya

#11 ·
Yes I do! I just pulled it out of my 04 about a month or so ago to install one with NAV. If you're interested, let me know via PM...I'm sure we can work something out.

#14 · (Edited)
I have an 01 limited as well, the stock head unit looks exactly like the pic sent by tjxjwj. Your cd changer won't work without the stock head unit, because it has a specific plug not a wire that goes from the changer to the head unit. I discovered this because my changer didn't work when i bought my jeep either, after some investigating i found that it just wasn't plugged in.

#15 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, That's odd that yours wasn't plugged in lol. I don't know what fool rigged that up lol. Also, you said your 01' came with the same head unit TJXJWJ posted? I'm hoping with the new one, I'll finally be able to make use of it lol. I'm really curious as to if the previous owner changed mine or if it came like that from the factory.

#16 ·
You can email Chrysler and request a build sheet...it's free, it just takes some time for them to process your request. Once you get it, it should list everything your particular Jeep came with. It's all based on your VIN. Makes for some interesting reading :)
I'm sure someone here will chime in with where you can go to request a build sheet...I forget.

#20 ·
Hi guys i got a 2000 jeep grand cherokee limited with the 10 disc cd changer and u also havent been able to figure out how to use it...next to the radio it looks like somebody installed something to make it work at first i thought it was factory and suppose to be like that since i only have the truck a few days now...so if i turn it on im guessing there was suppose to be a light to see the tracks better but regurdless the light doesnt work but it does turn on and seems to be working the changer in the back and playing the disc but i cant get it to come out the speakers its weird ill post a pic of my headunit and a pic of that as well and maybe u guys can help me figure this out thanks and much appreciated brandon...hmm actually how do u post pics on here from ur phone ? Lol...the thing next to the headunit is a little screen with a wire that looks like it runs into the dashboard and im guessing into the headunit...it has disc selection with arrows and track selection as well and rnd and shfle button..and a off button its held on with double sided sticky tape...if anybody has any idea about this please lmk...fyi the 1 slot cd in the dash works fine just so u know that but would be cool to be able to have the other 10 work in the back haha k thanks a mil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.