Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with all time all wheel drive. I’ve been hearing Some clicking noises upon acceleration from the stop. I took it to the shop we had the CV axle replaced. That was not it still made the same noise. Took it to the dealership they said the front driveshaft need to be replaced. I suggested the transfer case at that time and they said no. Returned it back to me still making the exact same noise. I called and inquired why it still made the same noise and he said he wasn’t sure! I said you guys have the diagram on the boat on the vehiclSome clicking noises upon acceleration from the stop. I took it to the shop we had the CV axle replaced. That was not it still made the same noise. Took it to the dealership they said the front driveshaft need to be replaced. I suggested the transfer case at that time and they said no. Returned it back to me still making the exact same noise. I called and inquired why it still made the same noise and he said he wasn’t sure! I said you guys have the diagram on the Vehicle so I kind of expect you to get it correct. I still have the clicking it is intensive fine but it doesn’t seem to change anything upon acceleration just a constant clicking. So I’m not sure if it’s a transfer case or not. I have 225,000 miles on the vehicle and I’ve owned it since it had 12,000 on it. Love our jeep but just trying to find out what’s wrong with it so any help from here would be greatly greatly appreciate it thank you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Someone will move this to the correct forum. I just wanted to say good luck, I also have a beloved 2007 WK at 160k+ owned since almost new.

I'm sure you will figure it out!

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's like deja vu all over again deja vu all over again.

·
Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Quadra-Drive II
44 Posts
RMB,

You could try a couple of things to locate your "clicking" noise. But you need to be careful and cautious with the first suggestion below.

1. Put the vehicle up on 4 jack stands with the tires not touching the ground (but high enough for you to get under it without getting burned or into any of the moving parts), and get under the vehicle and listen to where the noise is coming from. NOTE: The front jack-stands need to be under the front lower control arms so the weight of the engine and body is resting more normally and your driveshafts and CV axles are at the correct angle and not just hanging down. This is important! Also, Make sure your front tires are not touching any part of the jack stands. The rear jack-stands can be under the rear differential tube spread apart. Make sure the vehicle is level so all your fluids are also at the normal position. This is also important. Start the vehicle let the idle settle down then step on the brake pedal, shift it into Drive, and gently release the brakes BUT DO NOT ACCELERATE at any time!!! If you do You Could permanently damage your drive train. Just let it idle and let all the wheels turn at Idle (a slow pass). Get under the vehicle and try to locate the clicking noise. PS. Do not do run the vehicle this way for extended periods of time either. Carefully get under and survey, (do not put you hands near any moving parts), and get out from under as soon as you are done and turn off the engine right away. If it does not work you can get back under after you shut down the engine and look and feel around.

I know you said the clicking noise is happening when you accelerate from a stop. But there is a good chance it is happening while running and it is just not as pronounced or as loud as during initial acceleration.

I did this very recently with my 2005 GC to identify a mysterious "squeaking" noise. Like you, I only heard it while initially accelerating from a stop as well, (forward and reverse). Doing this I found a slight faint squeak at one of the rear U-Joints this way. Could barely hear it until I was right there below it at the rear differential.

Had to replace the rear propeller shaft to fix it as the U-Joints in those shafts are not serviceable.

2. A second method is to place an old baby monitor at different points under the vehicle until you pinpoint the area of the noise. This method typically takes a bit more time and is less precise, but it can help you rule out a few items where the noise is not coming from. You also need to be a bit creative at mounting the thing so it does not fall out while you drive. Duct Tape, wire ties, homemade brackets, Ect... Just do not tape over or cover the mic in any way. You will need to keep moving it until you get close to your clicking sound.

Good luck, keep the forum informed on what you find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts