Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Grand Cherokee
18 Posts
Hey sorry for the late response. I'm guilty of this also, but it is very frustrating how responses are minimal or none at all in this forum.

Probably a moot issue now for you, but I think they're great vehicles as I own one. Just be aware of the relatively small quirks and fixes that you can find here and other forums. Most items can be managed by anyone with even the most basic mechanical skills. Otherwise these Jeeps run strong smooth and for a long time when properly taken care of, and by that I mean just basic maintenance.

One item in particular to be aware of, the infamous intake swirl motor. It fails setting a code and sometimes limp mode. It's a useless appendage that's supposed to improve low rpm combustion by swirling the the air entering the cylinders by controlling swirl flaps just ahead of the intake valves. Most including me see little or no difference in performance or fuel economy with it working or disabled (honestly I think I'm getting about .5 mpg less overall since disabling it). They commonly fail because oil drips onto the servo motor from a faulty pcv hose connection seal. Replacing the failed swirl motor is expensive so many have either paid for the Green Diesel tune that electronically disables it and its fault codes, or defeat it with a 4.7 ohm resistor in its connector for pennies (what I did a couple months ago after replacing the swirl motor only 2 years ago). Also a good idea to replace the faulty pcv seal whether deleting the swirl motor or not. It's just nasty oil constantly dripping on the engine making a mess of an otherwise beautiful machine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts