Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with the "thunderbolt" warning light and a loss of power and acceleration with 2008 Diesel from Mercedes .

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes. Twice. Well actually 2 episodes, multiple instances in each episode. I think,irc, it was the swirl motor both times. The last time I did the resistor bypass mod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you get to pull any codes? My wk went into limp mode a month ago with the thunderbolt. I had a mechanic say it was the turbo but it spools up and has power then drops off to limp mode.
I had codes:
- [ ] U1132 generator communication
- [ ] P2454 diesel particulate filter
- [ ] P0046 boost control solenoid
- [ ] P0299 turbo underboost.

with a replacement cost of $7000 Im intrigued to hear how others did with the super easy mods above. My jeep is sitting 200miles from my place because of the break down so I can't just roll past and check it out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had something that triggered my lightning bolt symbol last year. I lost SOME power and acceleration and it sounded like the transmission downshifted. I immediately pulled over, shut the car off and restarted, and the problem went away.

It happened again a week later and after pulling over again and restarting, the symbol did not go away, but everything sounded okay and it drove normally.

I drove it to the shop (500 miles away) and here's what my dealerships write-up states:

"PERFORMED SCAN TEST FOR CODES IN SEVERAL MODULES, FOUND SEVERAL COMMUNICATION CODES STORED IN SEVERAL MODULES, MODULES CAN’T COMMUNICATE WITH THE TCM. ALSO HAD ONE CODE PRESENT IN THE TCM (P0605) (INTERNAL CONTROL MODULE ROM) THIS CODE INDICATES THAT THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE HAS AN INTERNAL PROBLEM. REPLACED THE TCM, PROGRAMMED TCM AND CONFIGURED."

This cost $373.12 for the part plus $210.00 labor and everything has been fine for 10 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I got the thunderbolt to go away with what so far has worked in the swirl motor mod.
But have this sound going on. Any ideas? https://youtu.be/sBjuajzyKDo it appears to be coming from the fuel filter but it started the same time as limp mode when the thunderbolt came on.
It’s a much more harsh sound but similar to the start (glow plug key) and shut down sequence a few seconds after you shut down the Jeep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is an odd sound..Sounds close to the filter?
Is the turbo actuator arm moving during/when it makes the sound?
Which, or how, did you do the swirl motor mod?
CEL lit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes seems closer or under the filter, I will look and see if I can see the turbo actuator arm, but it really seems closer to possibly the fuel rail or in the filter. It’s due for a fuel filter so I will change that this week and see if anything changes. I did the resistor into the plug under the inlet pipe mod.
The first shop I took this to when it happened and I was 200miles from home said that the noise was my turbo and quoted the dodge dealership price to replace which is well into $8000. I called bs and pulled it from their money grubbing hands and had it towed home. There it sat for 6 weeks before I went to do the swirl mod and it started and drove just fine.

If its the turbo actuator I know I can get that individually for very cheap so I will do that as needed. The turbo veins have zero side to side play and spins freely, as I was told to get at them from the air inlet to see if the turbo itself was toast. Since doing the mod, the thunderbolt light doesn’t come on anymore and limp mode went away leaving only this sound and no other issues. The noise was there since the first ti,e it went into limp mode. The turbo spools just fine and the Jeep has plenty of power so I’m thinking the turbo is fine.

Thanks for any other insite

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just went through this. My 2007 shut down on limp mode but had the mass airflow & underboost errors. Turned out to be a boost leak. I had just replaced the turbo at Christmas as I had another one. Turns out nothing wrong with the turbo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same happened to mine. Found out it was the wiring harness rubbing through on the pass side of engine and shorting and throwing code. Had a good technician find it and fixed for about $400. Never had it come back again.

·
Registered
2008 Grand Cherokee
18 Posts
Hey guys, the dreaded lightning bolt and associated codes... ugh! I really recommend to anyone experiencing this to first try the swirl motor resistor mod at least to eliminate that possibility. It's pennies to do and physically very easy. That thing will cause multiple seemingly unrelated codes when it fails. So just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts