Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there,

My issues started maybe 2 years ago, and it doesn't happen ALL the time, but enough to be concerning. Occasionally while driving, the vehicle will simply lose all electrical power and shut down. Unfortunately, this has only happened when my wife was driving (it's her daily driver), so I don't have any other info about what was happening just before, but we have also had a couple of instances where in the driveway, it won't start at all, and seems the be completely dead (no console power etc.) but the power locks still work to lock/unlock, and the headlights still come on when you unlock. Come back an hour later (no boost, not on a charger, just come back to the vehicle as before) and it starts no problem.

I had read somewhere that this is likely an issue with the sensor that reads whether there is a valid key in the ignition, but looking through this forum a little, it seems like it could be a few different things. Any tips on troubleshooting? I fondly remember the days when fuel injection was as exotic as it got for automotive electronics....馃槣

Thanks in advance

Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
I have worked on a JK that had electrical issues before. There is a ground above the passenger headlight that corroded and the grounds one by one started to lose contact. Owner complained of no horn. You could hear the TIPM click but nothing would happen.

I also wouldn't discount a TIPM issue as they have been extremely troublesome in other DCJR vehicles.

Typically a SKIM issue (chip key) would illuminate the dash light and the vehicle wouldn't run for more than 30 seconds before the ECU kills the fuel pump/spark.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have worked on a JK that had electrical issues before. There is a ground above the passenger headlight that corroded and the grounds one by one started to lose contact. Owner complained of no horn. You could hear the TIPM click but nothing would happen.

I also wouldn't discount a TIPM issue as they have been extremely troublesome in other DCJR vehicles.

Typically a SKIM issue (chip key) would illuminate the dash light and the vehicle wouldn't run for more than 30 seconds before the ECU kills the fuel pump/spark.
Thanks for the tips, about the SKIM, how often does the system "check" for the key? Is it only when the key is cranked (starting) or does it ping it on some frequency that could result in problems if the sensor is flaky? My wife describes it as sometimes starting to "flicker" but then recovers and goes back to running fine.

Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
I believe once the key is authenticated it is good for the key cycle. It would not cause the electrical system to flicker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts