Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

A few weeks ago, my low-beam/driver-side headlight started flashing when I started my Jeep. The flashes were maybe 2 per second and were equally timed, as though they were on some sort of timed relay, then they stopped flashing.

It happened again when I was driving at low-speed through my neighborhood, and the issue went away again.

Now, the headlight does not work at all. I tried replacing the HID ballast/bulb module...with two different brand new units...and can get it to work at all, so it appears to be something other than the bulb. BTW...the passenger low-beam is fine...no issues there.

I have checked the fusebox, and I can't see a fuse specifically marked for headlights. Found one for running lights and some other abbreviations on it...and they are fine.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland
No Mods (That I am aware of...bought it used)
HID D1 ballast/bulbs 5000K tint (D1S replacement bulbs used)
Hemi engine
105k miles

Thanks for your help!

krono

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
- Are you using a Relay Harness or Resistor Packs?

- If you can find the fuse, see if it is an 10 or 15 ampere fuse. Could put a 20 ampere fuse in there.

- Make sure you have a good ground too.

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Relay harness or resistor packs? I have to plead ignorant on that one. What I can tell you is that the setup is factory...no mods.

I also don't see any fuses for the headlights in the fuse box. So, I searched a little deeper on this site, and another member said there are no fuses for headlights on the 2011 Grand Cherokee. He also said that headlights are controlled via module.

Therefore, could it be a bad module (TIPM or FCM...I think I have the acronyms correct...lol) or internal module component?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Ah thought you meant aftermarket HIDs. Good luck! and No Worries!

Yeah I would check module for sure if no fuses for HL's.

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Can someone tell me what module and where it is at and how to troubleshoot it?

Maybe fix it while you are at it...lol

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already spent a small fortune on a headlamp bulb/ballast I apparently do not need.

Any help out there before I have to spend more money and take this vehicle to a shop?

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mistakenly assumed that the square box on the bulb assembly was a ballast. Therefore, the ballast has not been replaced and might be the culprit. Apparently the ballast is a separate module mounted somewhere else?

The bulb wire/connection leads back inside the light enclosure...which leads me to believe that the ballast is inside/on of the light enclosure itself. Is that the case? If so...I guess I need to remove the light enclosure to access/replace the ballast module...or maybe there is access through the wheel well?

Can anyone confirm this before I attempt to remove the light enclosure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. That is the exact video that lead me to believe that the ballast was mounted elsewhere! This video is of a different vehicle, but ballast mount/placement is probably somewhat universal.

I just found it odd that there were so many video on how to replace the bulb for the Jeep GC, but I couldn't find a single video on ballast replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. That is the exact video that lead me to believe that the ballast was mounted elsewhere! This video is of a different vehicle, but ballast mount/placement is probably somewhat universal.

I just found it odd that there were so many video on how to replace the bulb for the Jeep GC, but I couldn't find a single video on ballast replacement.
Did you ever figure this out? I’ve got the same issue. 2011 GC Overland

·
Registered
4 Posts

Did you find the problem?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts