Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm in the correct thread for this question. I purchased and installed the roof rack cross bars and they are secure to the factory roof side rails. I bought the following Universal Roof Rack for Truck (Cargo Car Top Luggage Carrier Basket Traveling SUV Holder) to be able to put items in the roof basket for extra storage. I was able to install it with no issues.

Amazon: MPH Production Universal Roof Rack for Truck (Cargo Car Top Luggage Carrier Basket Traveling SUV Holder) (RB-001-JJ)

My concern is if I'm driving the family to our vacation destination I want to make sure the basket will stay secure at 80MPH on the highways without ripping off the basket/cross bars or my roof. Most manufacturers have loops built into the factory roof side rails. With Jeep, there are no loops which concerns me. I have come out with two options.

1 - I can run a ratchet strap over the basket/contents and through the doors (not the window ;) ) to secure everything.

- The issue obviously would be having the strap going through the front seats and back seats of the truck which would be annoying.

- The bigger issue would be potentially blocking an airbag which I obviously do not want to do.

2 - I found the following Rooftop Cargo Tie Down Hooks on Amazon.

Amazon: RoofPax - 6 Rooftop Cargo Tie Down Hooks for Strapping Down Any Car Top Cargo. NO More Straps Inside Your CAR, Sturdy, 100% Waterproof. Attaches to Car Door Frame. Patent Pending.!

These hooks are metal and the straps are heavy duty D600 PVC straps, per the description, and they hook to the metal door frame under the rubber. Once I have a set in the front and back doors I can run a ratchet strap through the front door loops and a second one through the back door loops.

- I one con I can see from the reviews is that it could scratch the clear coat , but I was thinking of wrapping it with a soft cloth.

I'm just curious what other people use or if maybe option two above would be my best solution.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts