Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know my jeep has the latest recall issue for wk2 models. The fuel pump relay has been acting up lately. Started last fall. I had a dealership confirm, that is what is most likely happening. I today. 1/24/20 had the infinite start issue. Which is a common problem with a bad FPR. After about too many tries. The car died down and smoke started to flow out of the bottom passenger side of the car. I don't plan on trying to start the car for a while due to said outcome. Was curious of any jeep goers have had this problem and/or maybe have some remedies for the meantime. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
So, I know my jeep has the latest recall issue for wk2 models. The fuel pump relay has been acting up lately. Started last fall. I had a dealership confirm, that is what is most likely happening. I today. 1/24/20 had the infinite start issue. Which is a common problem with a bad FPR. After about too many tries. The car died down and smoke started to flow out of the bottom passenger side of the car. I don't plan on trying to start the car for a while due to said outcome. Was curious of any jeep goers have had this problem and/or maybe have some remedies for the meantime. Thanks!
I am so sorry to hear about this! Have you spoken to your dealership about this at all? Feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2013 is at a dealership right now getting the FPR replaced. It's been acting up starting and last week it wouldn't start at all. Diagnosis is the FPR. It's on the recall, but the new design part is not available, so I have to pay $300 for the dealership to put in an old design part. According to Jeep/Chrysler, when the new design part is available, they will reimburse me for this part and put in the new part.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My 2013 is at a dealership right now getting the FPR replaced. It's been acting up starting and last week it wouldn't start at all. Diagnosis is the FPR. It's on the recall, but the new design part is not available, so I have to pay $300 for the dealership to put in an old design part. According to Jeep/Chrysler, when the new design part is available, they will reimburse me for this part and put in the new part.
This is certainly a frustrating situation, SpikeMike. As you have stated the vehicle is currently with the dealer, we recommend continuing to work with them moving forward. If you would like our team to provide additional assistance at any time, please don't hesitate to send us a private message!

Kate
JeepCares

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am so sorry to hear about this! Have you spoken to your dealership about this at all? Feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

The dealership informed me the starter needed to be replaced. Which I'm not surprised, because it would try and turn over constantly. And now that the starter is replaced, the fpr needs to be replaced as well. So they are charging me roughly 600$ for all this. Which is very displeasing. Cause one can argue that the reason for my starter to fail is because of the fpr not working correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know how long Jeep has to find a solution for this open recall. Seems very dangerous to be letting people drive in cars that could stall WHILE driving. I had my fuel pump relay replaced, just to be safe and I almost regret it because it may be worse than the one I had in there. Plus, they actually ZIP TIED the new relay to the TIPM.

·
Registered
2012 WK2
15 Posts
I have had my Jeep GC at the dealer 7 times now for the same issue before Chrysler mentioned they were working on a fix. The service department gave me several fuel pump relays to swap out when I experience an issue. Fuel pump has also been replaced. I have reached out to Chrysler but the only help they offered was to help schedule a service appointment for me. This is getting ridiculous, my GC shuts off almost every day. It’s too dangerous to have this many vehicles on the road randomly shutting off. I hope Chrysler can come up with a fix ASAP. Maybe find a way to retrofit the new GC relays into the older vehicles.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have had my Jeep GC at the dealer 7 times now for the same issue before Chrysler mentioned they were working on a fix. The service department gave me several fuel pump relays to swap out when I experience an issue. Fuel pump has also been replaced. I have reached out to Chrysler but the only help they offered was to help schedule a service appointment for me. This is getting ridiculous, my GC shuts off almost every day. It’s too dangerous to have this many vehicles on the road randomly shutting off. I hope Chrysler can come up with a fix ASAP. Maybe find a way to retrofit the new GC relays into the older vehicles.
Hey, JPSch. Our team does recommend that if you are continuing to experiencing concerns, you visit your dealership as soon as you can. If you would like a layer of support during that process, let us know.

Kate
JeepCares

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The dealership informed me the starter needed to be replaced. Which I'm not surprised, because it would try and turn over constantly. And now that the starter is replaced, the fpr needs to be replaced as well. So they are charging me roughly 600$ for all this. Which is very displeasing. Cause one can argue that the reason for my starter to fail is because of the fpr not working correctly.
We know out of pocket costs are not ideal, SCAREcrow0367. To clarify, will you be proceeding with the recommended repairs?

Kate
JeepCares

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
55 Posts
I have a 2011 GC Laredo 4x4 with 100K miles and I have the same issues. Won't start most of the time until I cycle the ignition several times, it stalls unexpectedly, and the fuel pump won't turn off sometimes. I had the original recall done a long time ago (few years). I have been to a dealer and a private repair facility and they confirm it is a fuel pump relay problem but they don't have parts or know what the recall fix actually is at the moment, so they recommended waiting until parts are available from Chrysler. I called the support number on the recall notice and talked to someone that said my best option for now is to get a rental car to use until the recall is done which she said looks like the end of May when parts may be available. However, she said even though I should be reimbursed, she did not say it was guaranteed. This is very frustrating and dangerous with the unexpected stalling issue. I dodged a bullet when it happened the first time. I pulled out into rush hour traffic and was almost broadsided when it stalled. It took me at least 45 seconds to get it restarted and people were pissed at me for pulling out and blocking traffic! If they don't come out with the parts soon, I am considering trading it. I own two Jeeps (a Patriot and a GC) and if this is not resolved soon, I will never buy another Jeep. That would be too bad since I really like my GC and it fits my needs ... but it needs to be reliable!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have a 2011 GC Laredo 4x4 with 100K miles and I have the same issues. Won't start most of the time until I cycle the ignition several times, it stalls unexpectedly, and the fuel pump won't turn off sometimes. I had the original recall done a long time ago (few years). I have been to a dealer and a private repair facility and they confirm it is a fuel pump relay problem but they don't have parts or know what the recall fix actually is at the moment, so they recommended waiting until parts are available from Chrysler. I called the support number on the recall notice and talked to someone that said my best option for now is to get a rental car to use until the recall is done which she said looks like the end of May when parts may be available. However, she said even though I should be reimbursed, she did not say it was guaranteed. This is very frustrating and dangerous with the unexpected stalling issue. I dodged a bullet when it happened the first time. I pulled out into rush hour traffic and was almost broadsided when it stalled. It took me at least 45 seconds to get it restarted and people were pissed at me for pulling out and blocking traffic! If they don't come out with the parts soon, I am considering trading it. I own two Jeeps (a Patriot and a GC) and if this is not resolved soon, I will never buy another Jeep. That would be too bad since I really like my GC and it fits my needs ... but it needs to be reliable!
I am very sorry to hear of these concerns with your Grand Cherokee, acehiggy. Although I cannot guarantee any certain outcome, I would like to discuss this further. Please send a private message when you have a moment.

Kate
JeepCares

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
55 Posts
I am pleased to say that my fuel pump relay problem was fixed by the dealer and with the help of the people at FCA recall assistance at no charge. I will still have to get the new fuel pump relay recall done when the parts are available, but for now, they resolved my crisis of not having a safe vehicle to drive with this repair. It ended up being broken pins in a connector related to the first fuel pump relay recall that was done and not the relay itself.

I want to say a big thank you to FCA Recall assistance and the Jeep Cares program! They worked with the dealer to cover the costs of this repair. I am really pleased with the outcome.

Sincerely,
Jim Higginbotham
Granville, OH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Sorry for the slow update. Towed the car to the dealer I was in contact with. The starter Failed out. They charged me for the replacement starter and also for a new FPR temp setup. It's been working fine for several months. Had repairs done on the 11th of feb. I just put a reimbursement request in. For all FPR related charges. See what I get in response soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what was shared with me. You can get reimbursed at any moment with correct paperwork and processing time. Contact Us - Reimbursement Form

·
Registered
2010 WH Grand Cherok
46 Posts
Considering that in November 2019 another world wide fuel pump safety recall V62 was instigated to rectify the previous external fuel pump relay failures from previous safety recalls. I think FCA are dragging the chain on a fix..!! My GC Overland Diesel has cut out in very awkward traffic situations, and quite often will start and then stop suddenly.
Perhaps if Jeep Cares reads this, an update when this recall will be instigated would be in order.I have notified the ACCC ,a government agency ,here in Australia re this and they are very surprised no action has been forth coming as yet, and are going to investigate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update 6/28/20

Chrysler has awarded me a refund..... But only 500 of 700+ dollars spent fixing this issue. Not only that, it has been what now. About four months. I'm already starting to have the same issues as before. My remote start Thursday of last week, did an infinite turn over. Then on Friday night, my girlfriend was driving to pick me up and the car shut off as she was stopping at a light. Luckily we don't live in a busy town at the moment. But she had no clue how to get the car started again. Because it can fail to register when throwing back into park. So you have to start it in neutral. I find the lack of speed on fixing this recall just ridiculous, the fact that they arent paying a full refund, and that I'm already having the same issues. I'm about fed up.

·
Registered
2010 WH Grand Cherok
46 Posts
Update 6/28/20

Chrysler has awarded me a refund..... But only 500 of 700+ dollars spent fixing this issue. Not only that, it has been what now. About four months. I'm already starting to have the same issues as before. My remote start Thursday of last week, did an infinite turn over. Then on Friday night, my girlfriend was driving to pick me up and the car shut off as she was stopping at a light. Luckily we don't live in a busy town at the moment. But she had no clue how to get the car started again. Because it can fail to register when throwing back into park. So you have to start it in neutral. I find the lack of speed on fixing this recall just ridiculous, the fact that they arent paying a full refund, and that I'm already having the same issues. I'm about fed up.
Did you see an invoice etc of what Chrysler did.? what was put in for the $700.00 dollars just the new fuel pump.? I presume in the end FCA will have to supply new TIPMs. Joke they are not reimbursing in full considering its related to a mandatory safety recall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts