Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Its about time to change my diff and transfer case fluid. I do a lot of off road driving and driving through deep snow.

I have changed these fluids on older vehicles but never on a newer grand cherokee.

My question is : When filling the fluids back up. Do you simply fill until you see some fluid come out of the fill hole or is there specific amounts of fluid you have to add to these vehicles. I though a read somewhere you can over fill these diffs and that they have specific requirements but I could be wrong.

Thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys. Its about time to change my diff and transfer case fluid. I do a lot of off road driving and driving through deep snow.

I have changed these fluids on older vehicles but never on a newer grand cherokee.

My question is : When filling the fluids back up. Do you simply fill until you see some fluid come out of the fill hole or is there specific amounts of fluid you have to add to these vehicles. I though a read somewhere you can over fill these diffs and that they have specific requirements but I could be wrong.

Thank you.
Fill until it starts seeping out of the fill hole.

75w90 on diffs (can't get w85 anywhere)

Atf4 on transfer case

Rear diff needs friction modifier if not already in 75w90 fluid

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Atf4 on transfer case

Thank you. I wasn't aware the rear diff needs the modifier on Quadratrac one?

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts

Atf4 on transfer case

I believe the single speed case aka QT1 requires a different fluid.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Maintenance information and schedules

Rear only needs modifier if OP has rear limited slip which a 2011 with QT1 will not.

But 75w90 with modifier won't hurt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the single speed case aka QT1 requires a different fluid.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Maintenance information and schedules

Rear only needs modifier if OP has rear limited slip which a 2011 with QT1 will not.

But 75w90 with modifier won't hurt.
Thanks for the reply and the link. You're correct.

So to confirm.

1) Fill the case and two diffs until it seeps out.

2) quad 1 transfer case is a single speed that uses ATF approved to MB 236.10, MB 236.12, such as Shell ATF 3403/M-115, Fuchs/Shell ATF 3353, or equivalent.
Mopar® p/n 05127382AA (1 quart)

3) 75w90 with our without modifier in the FRONT and REAR diff. Same fluid in both.

Does this sound correct?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
In my 2011 O.M. it says;
We recommend you use MOPAR GL-5 Synthetic Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-85
My emphasis added....
In this discussion I haven't seen the key word "Synthetic"....

I agree 75W-90 instead of the recommended 75W-85 should be fine, its more important you use Synthetic Fluid, which is stipulated, than be a little off on the upper viscosity.

I had an XK, IIRC, it was recommended that you use the friction modifier for all axles and Synthetic Fluid and in an XK/WK forum we concluded that was too assure service people didn't skip it for the axles that needed it out of confusion, that would be the QDII with the ELSD's. The QTI & II didn't need the friction modifier since they had no friction surfaces in the differentials. I used AMSOIL Severe Gear without friction modifier in my XK without ELSD's and never had an axle problem for nearly 200k miles and wrecked the vehicle, it was still going strong right up to the accident.

But if it you wanted to use the friction modifier it shouldn't hurt anything, it just doesn't help anything. That is why, since Chrysler has had a problem in the past with Dealerships and Service Shops mixing up fluids used in their vehicles, they recommended one for all, to help eliminate any confusion.

I'm still convinced the super special only from the Dealer Hybrid Hydraulic/Power Steering Fluid that the WK/XK had to use in their power steering system for all configurations, the recommendation came from the Hydraulic Fan Motor that was powered by the PS pump, that only the HEMI had. The V6's and 4.7L V8 WK/XK probably could have used the ATF+4 like every other Chrysler product at the time, cause they had electric fans or engine driven fans. But since Chrysler knew they'd have Dealerships and Service Shops screw it up constantly, they just recommended the special PS that only the Hemi Needed for all, to avoid the mix ups they knew would happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my 2011 O.M. it says;

My emphasis added....
In this discussion I haven't seen the key word "Synthetic"....

I agree 75W-90 instead of the recommended 75W-85 should be fine, its more important you use Synthetic Fluid, which is stipulated, than be a little off on the upper viscosity.

I had an XK, IIRC, it was recommended that you use the friction modifier for all axles and Synthetic Fluid and in an XK/WK forum we concluded that was too assure service people didn't skip it for the axles that needed it out of confusion, that would be the QDII with the ELSD's. The QTI & II didn't need the friction modifier since they had no friction surfaces in the differentials. I used AMSOIL Severe Gear without friction modifier in my XK without ELSD's and never had an axle problem for nearly 200k miles and wrecked the vehicle, it was still going strong right up to the accident.

But if it you wanted to use the friction modifier it shouldn't hurt anything, it just doesn't help anything. That is why, since Chrysler has had a problem in the past with Dealerships and Service Shops mixing up fluids used in their vehicles, they recommended one for all, to help eliminate any confusion.

I'm still convinced the super special only from the Dealer Hybrid Hydraulic/Power Steering Fluid that the WK/XK had to use in their power steering system for all configurations, the recommendation came from the Hydraulic Fan Motor that was powered by the PS pump, that only the HEMI had. The V6's and 4.7L V8 WK/XK probably could have used the ATF+4 like every other Chrysler product at the time, cause they had electric fans or engine driven fans. But since Chrysler knew they'd have Dealerships and Service Shops screw it up constantly, they just recommended the special PS that only the Hemi Needed for all, to avoid the mix ups they knew would happen.
Thanks for the educated reply. Great info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts