Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I wish to upgrade my stereo head unit with something that has Apple car play since I road trip a lot. I currently have the 2nd from the top head unit stereo system (can’t remember mode name), is there a head unit system that has Apple car play and will also work with the factory navigation system?

I don’t use the factory navigation a huge amount, if any but if there is an option to keep it working with an aftermarket system for when I would use it then is it even possible? It’s not a deal breaker for me. Would just be nice to Keep it working with a new unit.
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
You can replace the head unit with one that supports CarPlay/Android Auto. Crutchfield is a good resuourse because they have both the units and the necessary interfaces to integrate a third party head unit with Jeep JGC controls, such as those on the steering wheel, backup cam, etc. There is no way to retain the old "factory" navigation and there have been no firmware updates for those systems for many years now. Navigation using CarPlay is pretty much superior, anyway....always up to date. Even if you can purchase "current" maps for your head unit, they are not actually "current"...usually at least a year or more out of dat. And $150.

Reactions: 57WK2Jeep

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,109 Posts
Literally most double din offerings from Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine and others offer Android Carplay and Android Auto. Your infotainment unit isn't as tightly integrated with the other creature comforts or the BCM as on the 2014+ vehicles, wth the added benefit of being free of the weird form factors (8.4 in) used by Stellantis. Sadly the automotive world is going back to custom sizes for the increasingly screen heavy car interiors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
53 Posts
2nd the Crutchfield suggestion. I used them when I upgraded the head unit in my 2011. They sell the Maestro unit which integrates things like your GPS, steering wheel controls, and rearview camera. It almost doubles the cost of the head unit, but it's well worth it.

Also most of the double din install kits for the early WK2s look a little weird at first, but after you use them for a bit they look fine: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61SNLknDCZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you can find hu from cruthcfield you save alot money when they kit you out, but to save more money I used pac ch11 rather than maestro,with there discount it was only 50 bucks compared to 150. But dont get obd readings and bs radar scanner,but that's what bluetooth dongle amd alphaobd are for. Also didnt need usb adpater as my 13' didnt have usb ports. Also to get built in gps is extra but not necessary as mentioned above. But wireless apple have to spend double money on hu. Most are usb...hope this helps

·
Registered
2020 WK2 Limited X
356 Posts
Try Crutchfield, but beware, headunits are on a major shortage, and selling way over MAP

·
Registered
30 Posts
True, I actually went best buy open box and amazon ,ended up same price as crutch but got hu i wanted. Side note, if need I have one of two adapters left from pac ch11 kit ill send ya free if it's one that fits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve been looking at the head unit systems on crutchfield, do I really have to buy the installation kit that allows things like steering wheel controls, rear dvd entertainment, etc? Or is it just buy the base head unit and plug it in?

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I’ve been looking at the head unit systems on crutchfield, do I really have to buy the installation kit that allows things like steering wheel controls, rear dvd entertainment, etc? Or is it just buy the base head unit and plug it in?
I doubt you've be happy with not having access to essential access features that were built into the vehicle, such as steering wheel controls (safety factor there), so getting the interfaces makes for a cleaner and more complete installation. It will be better for a future owner, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I doubt you've be happy with not having access to essential access features that were built into the vehicle, such as steering wheel controls (safety factor there), so getting the interfaces makes for a cleaner and more complete installation. It will be better for a future owner, too.
Thanks Jim, had no idea that I had to buy all the extra stuff just to make the controls work! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Thanks Jim, had no idea that I had to buy all the extra stuff just to make the controls work! Thanks!
It's an even greater challenge with current model years because the OEM head unit isn't just for entertainment. A lot of vehicle functions are accessed through the same interface/device. MY11-13 (first three years of the "WK2") is "easy"; not so much for what followed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts