Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
165K miles traveled, bumper to bumper on I-90 just outside of Chicago and I get 6K on the tach and 0 mph on the speedo.

The trans service was completed @110K, or so, by the dealership after the cooler started leaking and was replaced. I have 32" tires, on a eibach lift and wheel spacers...so, there's plenty of complicating factors. I've experienced occasional clunked downshifts and at times over the past 20K I felt it wasn't holding 5th gear uphill at highway speeds when it could have. But it had never slipped at low speeds prior to failing suddenly.

Anyone have to replace a W5A580 on their own dime?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first quote from the dealer for trans replacement is $6,785.38....

i gotta go change my pants.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update #2. the jeep left me stranded ~90 minutes from home. my roadside assistance includes a free 10 mile tow and this was the only jeep dealership in that range. so, I'm going to rent a trailer and tow it home (with my brother's cummins ram 2500) and take it to a local (to me) and reputable transmission shop for a second opinion and estimate. i hope to troubleshoot any number of things for myself that I wasn't able to do on the shoulder of I-90 in chicago prior to paying 14% of the original purchase price for a repair. attached is the dealer estimate. Their only statement is, "There is an internal failure on the transmission, active codes for incorrect gear ratio." after the original estimate of $6.8K, I asked for a second estimate that include a full drive train service and this is what they sent...$7.2K.

I posted on several jeep and/or WK2 facebook groups. I heard from one other 2012 WK2 3.6 owner that had to rebuild at 166K...he only paid $3,800.

more to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A local, and highly regarded, transmission shop gave a sight unseen quote of $2500 for a trans rebuild and they made an appointment for the next business day to have a full diagnosis. I wish I had started here. I had to wait 10 business days for the dealership to even look at the Jeep.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
new year update:

The trans shop drove ~50 miles without issue. They handed me the keys and didn't me charge me anything. Their best guess was an electrical gremlin, but that they didn't think I have a transmission issue. I made it about 1500 ft out of their parking lot before I lost all gears, again. Another tow and more waiting.

The failure was a bit different than last time. The first episode occured after ~15 miles of stop and go, bumper to bumper highway driving through Chicago. In drive, the engine would rev to redline without any bad noise or vibration but the car wouldn't move. This time, everything was cold. The car wouldn't rev past 3k but there was a bad driveline type vibration, but still no forward progress. There was also a high pitched whine prior to failure this time that correlated to vehicle speed, not engine revs.

So, who knows. I'm out only $363 dollars so far between tow costs and the $150 "diagnosis" fee at the dealership...on the other hand I have no answers and haven't had a car since 12/8/19.

I'll post a video of this last episode.
should be up shortly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A used transmission with 24-50k miles are around $1300-1500.. Id pay someone to swap it out before trusting them to tinker inside..

Check car-parts.com and find one in your area..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also check transmission fluid level... It might have leaked out.. A common failure on these trucks is transmission oil cooler leaking (part of ac condenser)

There is no dipstick but there is a place to check level, so you can buy an aftermarker dipstick on rockauto.com or amazon..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks coupe.

I had a leak and replaced the trans cooler @125K miles and had the trans service (fluid and filter change?) done a week later. It's totally possible that the fluid was low for a few weeks prior to noticing the leak. Might have been part of the cause of the (early?) failure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked her up tonight. $4,500 for the rebuild, including diff and transfer case fluid service. List of parts replaced in the rebuild was pretty extensive, including torque converter and controller plate. Labor costs were $1200. 3 yr 100K mile warranty. She drives great. I might have overpaid, but there's a lot of life left in this WK2. I probably have JT in my future....but this will hold me over for a few years.

Picture from last summer's BWCA trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts