Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2012 automatic transmission oil change recommendations plz

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  wk2driver 
#1 ·
hi there ,

this is first time to write here, I own overland 4wd 2012 grand Cherokee and i live in Saudi Arabia where even the authorized dealer refuse to change the automatic transmission oil as they say it's fill for life.

so till now I drove my car up to 106000 mi. = 170000 km , too many guys tell me you have to change the transmission oil and don't trust the dealer.
I went to a few of workshops and they told me "it's too late to change the whole oil with the filters and I have to do it in multiple steps".
multiple steps mean withdraw 4 liter and add new 4 liter then drive for around 15000 km then change the whole oil with the filter.

so what do you think guys ?

shall I change the oil all by once ? or change in multiple steps ? or leave it without changing ?

regards.

#4 ·
If you have the V6 engine, then you have the NAG-1 5-speed transmission; the HEMI used a different transmission. The NAG-1 on the Jeep does not have a drain plug on the pan, so the pan has to be removed to drain around 4 quarts. I did it myself, and I ordered a new pan from RockAuto that has a drain plug on it. So after the first messy drop, I changed the filter and put the new pan on it. Then after driving it for about a week, I drained and replaced using the new drain plug, then did it a third time after another week. That is how the service manual says to fully replace the fluid; three changes, no flushes. In reality, after two changes the fluid looks almost fresh. I used the factory fluid, and ordered a Dorman dipstick from RockAuto, and used the temperature tables available online along with the EVIC transmission temperature reading to get the proper fluid fill.

My plan is to swap 4qts every 12-18 months or so to keep it fresh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.