Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I apologise if this has already been addressed but I’ve had no luck finding it. Ive done a dpf and erg delete tune and car runs beautiful. But I need to remove the erg diffuser and install block plates. I’ve found many sites and information that show this yet my erg diffuser seems to look slightly different and the plates that I’ve come across won’t work on mine. Its a 2012 grand Cherokee Laredo crd.
Any help much appreciated.
See attached photos

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe the 2012 diesel might not be a VM Motari 3.0, but a Daimler 3.0. Someone on this site may be able to confirm

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,939 Posts
Yes. That is the M-B motor NOT the VM.

Reactions: YANKEE

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For years I’ve always researched the VM. You guys are legends. Thanks heaps 👍. Anyone know why they changed to the VM. Is the MB a good engine or the VM better lol

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,939 Posts
VM was originally slated to build GM diesel engines for the Escalade, as GM bought 50 percent of VM back in the mid 2000's.

Here's a Wiki on them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_Motori

·
Registered
235 Posts
For years I’ve always researched the VM. You guys are legends. Thanks heaps 👍. Anyone know why they changed to the VM. Is the MB a good engine or the VM better lol
Not easy to say... I've got one of each at the moment (2008 JGC + 2015 JGC) and I'd say the MB is winning, but mostly due to emission related recent trouble with our 2015 with the VM. I also have a 2000 JGC with the 4.7 V8 gasoline and it's been the least troubling of them all, but the diesels are more fun to drive and have great mpg. Good luck with your endeavor.. DPF deleting my 2015 VM is sounding better and better every day.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not easy to say... I've got one of each at the moment (2008 JGC + 2015 JGC) and I'd say the MB is winning, but mostly due to emission related recent trouble with our 2015 with the VM. I also have a 2000 JGC with the 4.7 V8 gasoline and it's been the least troubling of them all, but the diesels are more fun to drive and have great mpg. Good luck with your endeavor.. DPF deleting my 2015 VM is sounding better and better every day.
You definitely won’t regret the dpf and egr delete.
I ended up getting a mate to custom make me block off caps as it was the lastthing I needed to do for my tuned delete.
car runs so much better. More throaty, only down side is the smell can be overwhelming in standstill traffic. But nothing too major.
Also I believe I may have to give the manifold a good clean. The soot build up I has all over my egr diffuser was massive. I can only imagine how much is in my manifold.

let me know how you go if you end up doing the delete.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did anyone of you ever see a MB diesel engine (OM 642), even if you did not, by looking at the OP pictures and your engines, you can tell this is VM engine. MB engine has it's turbo in the "V", between the engine banks and it is notorious for leaking oil there and making a big mess, this is what it looks like.

Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Do a little research before posting and look were the OP is from, in this case, Australia, so they have VM engine since mid 2011:

"A 3.0 L turbocharged diesel V6 developed and built by Fiat Powertrain Technologies and VM Motori (with Multijet II injection[12]) rated at 177 kW (241 PS; 237 hp) and 550 N⋅m (406 lbf⋅ft) of torque is offered in export markets by mid-2011 (2014–2019, US only) [needs update][13] The new 3.0 L CRD turbodiesel engine is offered in European markets in a 140 kW (190 PS; 188 hp) low-power version.[14] " - Wikipedia.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Fiat invested in VM. Gotta use the family parts.
Similarly, Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz and much of the development for the diesel Grand Cherokees that were sold in the US for the 2007 and 2008 model years was under that corporate structure. I remember paying lots of money for the Mercedes oil filters for our 2008 CRD. Those years didn't have the DEF system so they couldn't be sold in California and northeastern states that followed California's emission rules.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts