Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The saga with this wreck continues. Off the top of my head since it was purchased new:

TIPM bypass (had to buy the parts/do it myself since Chrysler Canada didn't even acknowledge this as an issue when mine would no longer start).

rear air springs replaced x4

broken blend door

Service 4WD now constant in EVIC (was intermittent until a few weeks ago)

New A/C condenser

Loss of radio presets to the point I don't even bother setting them anymore

Leaking sunroof

countless replacements of DRL bulbs

there's more - this is just off the top of my head.

Today, the annoying tick under the hood that I've had for the past several weeks finally threw a code - misfire on cyl #8. Swapped the # 6 & #8 coils, but the problem didn't move. Pulled the valve cover and it is obvious that the #8 lifter is toast, which means the cam will be as well.

My options, as I see them are (in Canada) a dealer service, which will be somewhere around $8K P&L, reman engine for about $5k (plus R&R), or a 100K engine from a wrecker for $3K (plus R&R).

Some Googling earlier suggests that this is a common failure on the 5.7. I could perhaps get the dealer service # down a bit if I just had them replace the #8 lifter and install a new cam, but I'm sure once the cam is out there will be evidence of other cya's being a concern.

So, as I see it I'm staring down the barrel of a 5-8K repair on a vehicle that I bought new less than 7 years ago, and that is probably only worth ~$20K if everything was in good order. Am I missing any options? What would you do?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to myself - the other option is me tearing it down and rebuilding myself, which is what's going to happen starting this Friday.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dang, I'd agree that doing all the lifters makes sense if you're going that far into the engine. How many miles on it?

Please take some pictures of the process. Are you pulling the engine out to do it or just the heads with it in the Jeep?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor stays in. I'll have to pull the condenser and rad, most likely the front bumper cover/grill as well. Exhaust manifolds hopefully can stay on the head when I lift them out (don't see why not). I'm expecting a few broken studs on them, so that will get dealt with as well.

If there's interest, I'll do a separate post to document the R&R.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I'm about 1 week into this now, sneaking in a coupe hours here and there. Heads have been off for a couple of days, but I left the old lifters/cam in until I was done with the gasket surface prep. Pretty much buttoned that up today, so it was time to pull the lifters/cam and confirm what I knew would be the issue.

Biggest headache by far has been separating the manifolds from the cats. It probably would have been a bit easier if I'd thrown it up on the lift, but it would have been a bitch regardless. Removing the inner fender liners accomplishes nothing on a GC. On a Ram truck, you would have a pretty clean shot at all the exhaust components.

First stop to get this going was at my buddies auto body shop. He pulled/stored my bumper cover then recovered the refrigerant. So day one looked like this to start:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two of the studs were snapped off inside the head, the other had about 1/2" of stud to grab and I was able to spin it out by hand. For the remaining two, I placed a 3/8" nut over the hole and filled it with the MIG. Shown are one of the studs coming out after welding, and the heads after first bit of surface prep:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And finally, lifters removed and cam out. As suspected, #8 cyl had a failed lifter and took out the cam.

I put the new cam in about 10 minutes after this pic was taken. Lifters will go in tomorrow, then I'll build up the heads (exhaust stuff) and get them dropped on. Depending on how much the manifold to cat bolts fight me, it might be running tomorrow night. I took more pics (just for my own reference in re-assembly), but if anyone wants a pic of something specific now would be the time to ask, before everything is closed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for all the pictures, that is a lot of work.

Amazing how shoe-horned the hemi is into the engine bay. Was it just limited space to get at the hardware that was the pain about the header to cat connection? Or something else?

Just putting stock cam and lifters back in?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the pictures, that is a lot of work.

Amazing how shoe-horned the hemi is into the engine bay. Was it just limited space to get at the hardware that was the pain about the header to cat connection? Or something else?

Just putting stock cam and lifters back in?
There are 4 bolts (2 per side) that hold the manifold to the cats. They have to be undone from below (nuts are captured on the manifold with a retainer). The converter is about 6-7" in diameter, and you have to get a socket around it somehow to to reach the bolts. Passenger side is bad, driver's is worse. You can get a socket on some of them from the engine bay, but the whole process is generally a PIA.

Stock cam, and the 'new' Melling lifters (JBK-7522/23).

Back at it later this afternoon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks lakercr for documenting all your troubles and solutions. Mine has a the same lifter condition on cyl #5. I cut open the oil filter on an old cookie sheet and it looked like custom chocolate metal flake paint.

I was nervous about the flakes embedding in to the bearings. If it were my pick up truck, I would rebuild it myself over several weeks, complete removal and tear down. But the Jeep, I need back quick, so I'm having a reman motor installed. I should have it out of the shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that sucks. I'd be curious to see what your lobe(s) looked like. Did you run the engine much after the ticking first started?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the heads back on yesterday and the exhaust hooked up. The manifold/cats didn't fight me nearly as much as when they came off.

Rocker assemblies are in and to final torque, valve covers and coils installed. Next up is putting a new front seal & gasket on the timing cover and then it can go on. Heading out of town for a few days but it should go pretty quick once I'm back.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put the last few hours into it last night. Left 8 plugs out and injectors disconnected, cranked the motor over a bit to build oil pressure. Installed plugs, connected injectors and it fired right up. Was a little bit noisy for the first ~minute until the lifters filled, but otherwise start was uneventful. No leaks, and the engine is quieter now than any time in recent memory. Put about 120 KM's on yesterday and everything seems good. Oil pressure about 55psi at startup, 47-51 cruising.

Hopefully can get the a/c refrigerant put back in today and the bumper cover on. Once that's done, this project is complete.

I haven't totaled my bills yet, but a good guesstimate would be about $1,500 CDN for cam, all new lifters, head/intake/pump/timing gaskets, exhaust gaskets, as well as new head bolts/cam/balancer bolts. Add another $200 or so for oil/filter/trans fluid and various shop supplies.

Including the work done to fix broken manifold studs I'd say the job was about 25-30hrs in total, with 5-6 of that being in surface prep alone. Having done one now, I'm pretty sure it could be a weekend job if all the parts were in hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1000km report - all good; jeep runs like a champ. No drips or coolant loss, oils pressure is good and engine is nice and quiet. PIA job to do, but savings were worth it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Put the last few hours into it last night. Left 8 plugs out and injectors disconnected, cranked the motor over a bit to build oil pressure. Installed plugs, connected injectors and it fired right up. Was a little bit noisy for the first ~minute until the lifters filled, but otherwise start was uneventful. No leaks, and the engine is quieter now than any time in recent memory. Put about 120 KM's on yesterday and everything seems good. Oil pressure about 55psi at startup, 47-51 cruising.

Hopefully can get the a/c refrigerant put back in today and the bumper cover on. Once that's done, this project is complete.

I haven't totaled my bills yet, but a good guesstimate would be about $1,500 CDN for cam, all new lifters, head/intake/pump/timing gaskets, exhaust gaskets, as well as new head bolts/cam/balancer bolts. Add another $200 or so for oil/filter/trans fluid and various shop supplies.

Including the work done to fix broken manifold studs I'd say the job was about 25-30hrs in total, with 5-6 of that being in surface prep alone. Having done one now, I'm pretty sure it could be a weekend job if all the parts were in hand.
Laker, that was one hell of a job!! great work and even took the time to take pics..............seeeesh you go me scared now, I have a 2011 5.7 with 107k
on it. hope this doesn't happen to me.
Im contemplating upgrading to performance cam and headers. especially since these are know issues from what I have read so far, might as well replace with performance parts.

Whats your thoughts on that

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Laker, that was one hell of a job!! great work and even took the time to take pics..............seeeesh you go me scared now, I have a 2011 5.7 with 107k
on it. hope this doesn't happen to me.
Im contemplating upgrading to performance cam and headers. especially since these are know issues from what I have read so far, might as well replace with performance parts.

Whats your thoughts on that
I spent a bit of time looking for performance upgrades, but really didn't find much that was specific to the GC. As I mentioned in another thread, there is a decent selection of cams for the 5.7 as installed in a Ram 1500, but the truck has a different (better flowing) exhaust manifold. I didn't find any performance cams that were spec'd for the 5.7 when installed in a GC. Granted, I didn't do an exhaustive search, but Comp Cams, TSP, Summit listed nothing for our application.

Never looked for headers. Dunno if the fuel system is close-looped (I assume it is) but would expect a cam and/or headers to require a programmer to work properly. I wasn't interested in putting any more money into this thing than necessary to get it on the road again/sell with a clear conscience.

Don't take this as conclusive. There may be option(s) that I didn't find; didn't put that much time/effort into it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts