Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Bottom half of windshield washer spray nozzles was cracked so I replaced them. Now I am not getting any spray at all (both front and back). I can hear the pump running. Any ideas on what I can try to fix? Reservoir is full and not leaking. Also if anyone has any links to a video or website with fluid reservoir removal instructions, would appreciate. Thanks all!

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
71 Posts
In my 2015 i had to replace the front washer hose because the plastic became brittle and broke up in the section under the hood close to the two sprayers.
I had to access the bottom part of the reservoir by partially pulling out the front part of the left wheel well ( didn’t have to take the wheel out. Just had to turn the wheels to the right )

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,799 Posts
I've had windshield washer motors make noise like they are running but not pump washer fluid, a new motor/pump fixed the problem. So don't rule out the motor/pump, but should look for other problems first......

It appears there is one pump/motor for both front and rear, the lines connect on either side of the motor. It probably runs in reverse to pump to rear line and run forward to pump to the front line.... ....another strike for the pump/motor being bad despite making noise....

Like ZX81 described you see the bottom of the reservoir where the pump and its lines connect behind the driver side front wheel well liner, pull a bolt and plastic twist stud to be able to peel it back and see..... ....You'll be able to see the plastic pipe for the front run up the side of the reservoir, looking in from the top you can see the plastic pipe running along the driver side of the engine bay, up to the hinge on the hood....

You either have a Clog, a Leak or a bad Pump.....

Run the washer pump, more than a few seconds, check reservoir fluid level and if it went down, look for leaks/drips/puddles on the ground of washer fluid....
No change in fluid level, no signs of leaks it might be a clog or bad motor/pump...
Disconnect the hose at the nozzles, run the washers, see if washer fluid comes out of the hose ends, if it does, the nozzles might be clogged....
If no washer fluid comes out of the hoses, I'd disconnect the lins at the pump/motor and get someone to activate the washer and watch if fluid shots out of the ports.

In fact, now I remember, that is how I finally figured out how I had a bad motor/pump on my windshield washer on another vehicle, finally just disconnected the hose at the motor and had someone activate it, despite making normal motor noise, barely a dribble came out of the port.....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,799 Posts
One more thing, was the temperature below freezing when the washers refused to work?

I've had this happen on more than one car, especially if you top off washer fluid a lot.... ...the antifreeze in washer fluid is methanol alcohol, it can easily evaporate out of the washer fluid and let it freeze and clog the lines for hours after temps reach above freezing again......

When its happened to me, after it thaws, I run the washers till all the washer fluid is gone and refill with new washer fluid, usually the kind rated to go to even lower temperatures.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts