Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've spent quite a bit of time searching for a similar issue, but I haven't found a resolution.

My 2012 GC front windshield fluid spray stopped working, I traced it back to the pump as all hoses and nozzles were clear, so I replaced the pump and the issue continued. The rear windshield spray is working fine, so I hooked the front hose onto the rear pump nozzle and when I activate the rear windshield spray, it sprays fine out of the front nozzles. I've checked the fuses, made sure the elbow and pump nozzle are not plugged, and feel out of options (unless there is a relay I don't know about?)
The issue seems to be that the front windshield wiper switch isn't activating the pump (but does activate the wipers, and the rear wiper switch activates the pump)

Any other ideas? I'm hoping it's not something as serious as replacing the whole headlight dimmer switch.

·
Registered
'12 Jeep GC LTD
81 Posts
I've spent quite a bit of time searching for a similar issue, but I haven't found a resolution.

My 2012 GC front windshield fluid spray stopped working, I traced it back to the pump as all hoses and nozzles were clear, so I replaced the pump and the issue continued. The rear windshield spray is working fine, so I hooked the front hose onto the rear pump nozzle and when I activate the rear windshield spray, it sprays fine out of the front nozzles. I've checked the fuses, made sure the elbow and pump nozzle are not plugged, and feel out of options (unless there is a relay I don't know about?)
The issue seems to be that the front windshield wiper switch isn't activating the pump (but does activate the wipers, and the rear wiper switch activates the pump)

Any other ideas? I'm hoping it's not something as serious as replacing the whole headlight dimmer switch.
I had a similar problem. I actually had a small dribble coming out of one of the hood nozzles. Rear washer worked OK, but front was not working. I too thought it was a bad pump. I could hear it running, but that was it. Until I popped the hood to get a closer ear, and had my son activate the washer, I immediately noticed that the driver side nozzle was leaking at the rubber elbow under the hood. As soon as I touched it, the base of the plastic nozzle just crumbled in my fingers, so did the other one. So, two new nozzles and bada-bing! :D we had the sprays back.

Because one of the nozzle connections was letting the volume of the washer fluid out, the nozzle never built up the back pressure to spray properly. Very easy install, as they just clip into the hood openings..The hardest part was removing the bits of broken plastic from the rubber hose elbows..:rolleyes:

OEM Part Number 68260443AA

Make sure you purchase the nozzles with the green hose barbs. They are made from a different plastic that won't become brittle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but did you find the solution to your problem? My wk2 is doing the exact same thing. I have disconnected the front jets and ruled that out, also checked all the lines etc. not sure what to do next other then send it to the auto elec.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,015 Posts
I might be thinking of earlier Jeeps/Chrysler/FCA vehicles, but the windshield washer reservoir has two motors in it, one for the front and one for the rear. The motors are cheap and separate motors and pumps is probably cheaper and more reliable than coming up with an electric operated valving system.

So its very possible for the front motor/pump to fail and the rear work fine, it happened in my '02 mini-van and it made noise when I switched the front washer on, out of desperation I changed the motor/pump and it fixed it to my surprise, so the pump part must have failed or the .....

But for my WK2, the problem is the same as described in the earlier posts, I had a good pump and motor, the front nozzles just had a bad leak under the hood.... ... My nozzles crumbled as I handled them and I got new ones and replaced them to fix the issue... ...about a year later it happened again, but this time it was the rubber fittings on the end of the tubes that we loosening and coming off in the summer heat.....

I've used tie-tie to hold them together and then tried glue.... ...the glue seemed to work but not as well as the tie-ties, but the tie-tie's look ghetto, but what the hey, its under the hood where no one would see it anyway....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this problem too, my jets were heat soaked on the bonnet and the heat disintegrated the plastic into brittle pieces, however that was not the problem, just a side effect of looking for the problem, once I checked the flow in the hoses without nozzles and made sure they were clear I still wasn’t getting water pressure, I could hear the pump running but very little water flow, so I accessed the tank from behind the left wheel arch and removed the nearest pump from the tank only to find that the hose and filter where it draws water from was covered in slime, removed it from the hose and cleaned it, flushed the entire tank with garden hose and pressurised water, reinstalled everything and tested with plain water first and all was back to normal, filled with a better washer fluid afterwards and only half full to avoid it sitting in there for long periods of time which caused the slime.

So if you hear the pump and no real water pressure out the hose with the nozzle off, it’s most likely a dirty filter.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,015 Posts
2011 WK2 front washer button seems to be disconnected. Wipers work. Rear washer works.
Have you trouble shot with the advice already given in earlier posts?
You could disconnect the connector at the pump motor and measure for voltage with a multi-meter, as someone pressed the washer buttons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts