Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've readen many post on shaking GC but can't find a similar issue so here I am.

First of all, sorry for my english, this isn't my native tongue so it may have many mistakes or nonsense (I hope not lol)

I have 2012 GC limited with OEM rims and 265-60-18 tires.

When I drive it I have no problems except after 5 to 10min where there is a weird shaking very similar to death wobble I guess.
It often take place when I'm cruising on the highway.
What's weird is that the problem last for only 1 min whatever I accelerate or brake and then it goes off and doesn't happen anymore for the rest of the trip, no matter how far I'm going!
But the fastest I go the strongest is the shaking!

I'm very confident with my mechanical skills (I did a lot of mods on my previous cars that I will present in another post) and I'd like to fix it by myself but this problem is driving me crazy as I don't have a garage anymore to check everything!

Do you guys have an idea of what can be the problem?

Thank you very much for your help

·
Registered
2015 Overland
62 Posts
How many miles do you have? Sounds like early warning signs for spark plugs, or coils, ignition related. I guess anything over 30k it's possible, but would hopefully be towards 50-60k. Can't rule out fuel system/intake or electrical. Wheels/tires seems unlikely as it is not persistent, and only when "cold." At 5+ years I can't guess what may not have been maintained, and of course anything is possible to be failing at any age or mileage. Best I can say is that is definitely a warning sign, get it checked out by a reliable mechanic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank for your help!

I don't think it is engine related cause the vibration is felt everywhere in the car and the engine behave normally during the problem (no rev variation, no speed variation, I can accelerate, etc.).
And the fastest I drive, the "biggest" is the shaking. The problem, when it occures is exactly the same as the tire balance issue but very stronger (like death wobble for example) and it last only 30sec. (i don't know how to express the feeling exactly in english).

I know there was a front wheel hub issue on the WK2 but I don't really have the peculiar sound of dead wheel hub! I will try to check some parts this weekend on the parking!

Meanwhile don't hesitate for any idea you would have :D

PS : The car has around 75000Km (which is around 47000miles).

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,556 Posts
Thank for your help!

I don't think it is engine related cause the vibration is felt everywhere in the car and the engine behave normally during the problem (no rev variation, no speed variation, I can accelerate, etc.).
And the fastest I drive, the "biggest" is the shaking. The problem, when it occures is exactly the same as the tire balance issue but very stronger (like death wobble for example) and it last only 30sec. (i don't know how to express the feeling exactly in english).

I know there was a front wheel hub issue on the WK2 but I don't really have the peculiar sound of dead wheel hub! I will try to check some parts this weekend on the parking!

Meanwhile don't hesitate for any idea you would have :D

PS : The car has around 75000Km (which is around 47000miles).
I'd be surprised if this was your problem but..... When my 92 explorer had the OEM firestones it would go into a death wobble consistently when I hit a bump on a particular on ramp. Full check of the front end showed nothing. I replaced the tires with Michelins and never had the wobble again.

So what you might try that's pretty easy to do is to just rotate your tires from front to back and see if that changes your wobble problem. It is possible it's tire related and not just from out of balance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find it hard to believe that the problem is tires related but I have another set of Michelin so maybe it's time for my winter tires to get replaced.

Thanks for your advice ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be a worn out steering stabilizer shock
If that was the case, the problem would occur each time I go through a big pothole, etc. but it doesn't!
It happens only once each time I take my car!

I'll try to rotate the tire and see if there is a difference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts