Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Cherokee started stalling while at idle and it is a problem when you are in an intersection awaiting your chance to turn left. Took it to the dealer last November and they said it was the Fuel pump relay. A couple of weeks later I got this letter. IT HAS BEEN 8 MONTHS and parts are still NOT available. Please tell me the parts will be available soon. The colder the temp outside, the worse the stalling becomes.

What is my best option here??

- Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem .. I have a 13 Jeep overland summit 5.7 needed a fuel pump relay it was Constantly running and my fuel pump died and they replaced it no charge because they don’t have a fix for the recall I’ve been waiting over a year.. believe it on not the truck runs so much better now with the new pump and it doesn’t run all the time like it did before

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Have you had the prior recall done, which added the external fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No they came up with the recall it kept getting delayed for the fix , the dealership just said keep driving on it and when if doesn’t work anymore they will fix it ... sure enough the fuel pump shit the bed and they replaced it ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TomK ... I have taken it in for every recall ( 5 in all ) In fact, my last recall for the alternator diode overheating arrived AFTER my alternator caught on fire.
My biggest problem is sitting at idle while awaiting the traffic light to turn green. The engine sputters, then dies in gear. It takes a few seconds to get it restarted. I guess there aren't enough of 8 year old cherokee's left on the road or they would have 'found' a fix already. Thank you everyone for your replies

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You would think the dealer thought or tried this but they may very well be inept.
Try replacing the external relay they installed when they did the initial fuel pump relay recall cut and hack "fix"
The cheap relays they used are prone to failure and a new one may be all you need.
If your fuel pimp is fried from running continuously after the "recall fix" your going to need a new fuel pump regardless.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would try to push for a new fuel pump because it’s sounds to me that the pump could constantly be running even with the truck off and that’s putting wear an tear on the pump, the problems you are talking about stalling out could be from a fuel pump going bad.. Especially The Sputtering and hard to start are indicating the trucks having problems with the pump delivering fuel to the motor if you stress this enough they have to do something if not try another shop? Or if you have a warranty try calling them and stress the issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would try to push for a new fuel pump because it’s sounds to me that the pump could constantly be running even with the truck off and that’s putting wear an tear on the pump, the problems you are talking about stalling out could be from a fuel pump going bad.. Especially The Sputtering and hard to start are indicating the trucks having problems with the pump delivering fuel to the motor if you stress this enough they have to do something if not try another shop? Or if you have a warranty try calling them and stress the issue
The service rep at the dealer says the pump is fine. He stated the relay intermitantly shuts the pump off causing it to shutter and stall. I will start pushing back with the dealer to get it repaired. My 1st stop was here to see if there were other remedies that i was unaware of. I don't want to let my wife or other family members to drive it while this continues to happen. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely push the issue and tell them it’s a safety matter and if you have a warranty give them a call and see what they could do for you..but keep me posted on what they can do for you

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
If the recall that added the external relay has been done, just pop a new relay in for now.

The apparent problem is silicone contamination of the contacts (at least that's the last I heard). So the new relay probably won't last forever, but it will last a while.. many of the folks over on dodgedurango just keep a spare in the glovebox.

I think this is the part (or any equivalent): Amazon.com: OMRON Electronic Components G8JN-1C6T-DC12 Automotive Relay, SPDT, 12VDC, 35A: Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My 2012 Cherokee started stalling while at idle and it is a problem when you are in an intersection awaiting your chance to turn left. Took it to the dealer last November and they said it was the Fuel pump relay. A couple of weeks later I got this letter. IT HAS BEEN 8 MONTHS and parts are still NOT available. Please tell me the parts will be available soon. The colder the temp outside, the worse the stalling becomes.

What is my best option here??

- Jim
There is a service part available until the recall parts are available. Have you asked your dealer about that?
Feel free to send us a message if we can help at all.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a service part available until the recall parts are available. Have you asked your dealer about that?

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Can vehicle owners expect a solution sometime this year? While I understand the circumstances that have happened this year, this is a serious safety issue and people are still waiting for a solution and we have not even been updated on this at all. The band-aid fix of replacing the problem with another problematic part is not a solution. Hope we have some resolve soon.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Can vehicle owners expect a solution sometime this year? While I understand the circumstances that have happened this year, this is a serious safety issue and people are still waiting for a solution and we have not even been updated on this at all. The band-aid fix of replacing the problem with another problematic part is not a solution. Hope we have some resolve soon.
Currently I do not have an ETA to share but once more information comes along I will post an update.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had one occurrence of the start-and-then-die-in-about-5-seconds, followed by a very-hard-restart issue with my 2016 GC Pentastar with the fuel pump relay done. My Jeep tech told me to buy a relay and replace it myself. I bought this one at Napa. No issues since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's the exact part I ordered. Now I Keep a spare one in the glove box.

If the recall that added the external relay has been done, just pop a new relay in for now.

The apparent problem is silicone contamination of the contacts (at least that's the last I heard). So the new relay probably won't last forever, but it will last a while.. many of the folks over on dodgedurango just keep a spare in the glovebox.

I think this is the part (or any equivalent): Amazon.com: OMRON Electronic Components G8JN-1C6T-DC12 Automotive Relay, SPDT, 12VDC, 35A: Industrial & Scientific

View attachment 226043
[/QUOT

·
Registered
My Jeep
19 Posts
Hi Guys
I put my 2011 GC Ltd 3Ltr Diesel in for the 150,000 service and when I picked it up was told that there was a recall for a relay to be fitted to the fuel pump electrics. You will recall that they had a recall on the fuel pump some time ago and fitted and external pump. They advised that the part was not available at time of service so they fitted an aftermarket relay which 24 hours later failed. A second one has now been fitted, but still waiting for the Mopar relay to arrive and be fitted.
It has been fitted externally of the electronics box under the bonnet RHS. Only problem being is if there are problems it will not bring up any fault codes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m glad I found this thread, I am confused and would like some enlightenment if possible.

I have a 2012 GC Laredo, 5.7l and the picture of the relay area is different than the one tomk shows.

I only have 1 relay, not 2...not sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
It looks like you have not had the recall done.

I’m glad I found this thread, I am confused and would like some enlightenment if possible.

I have a 2012 GC Laredo, 5.7l and the picture of the relay area is different than the one tomk shows.
View attachment 226193

View attachment 226194

I only have 1 relay, not 2...not sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 GC Limited, now how do I register it to be notified when the recall parts are available? The previous owner did not tell me about the recall. Also need to replace cup holder bezel and get a second key - where to start? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it would stall while making a turn. Finally our Jeep dealer got in the recall part (fuel pump relay). Put it in and a few weeks later, the car stalled again while making a turn. Went to the dealer and they said there is nothing they can do. Thinking of contacting an attorney. This car is basically worthless not to mention dangerous. Any thoughts on what else it might be ??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts