Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have drove my SRT8 for a while and I'm not in love with the run flat tires because the stock ones are becoming ****ing noisy and I don't like the way the car making all of that noise at high speed.

Now, the dealer is pushing me to install run-flat nothing else, because the car will start having problems if I don't!

Is this true?

Do I really have to run the car with Run Flats tires this is my question?

·
Premium Member
07 grand cherokee
2,903 Posts
ECO = economy mode

·
Registered
2012 WK2 SRT8
126 Posts
I am currently researching tires. There are a few non-runflat options, but 295/45 zr20s are not common. I'm about sold on Yokohamas at $180 per tire. The OEM Runflats run around $480 ($515 at dealer) per tire, which is a bit much for me.

Anyone have any suggestions or tire comments?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think so!

I know when Eco kicks in how the noise is coming out of tye engine! The noise am hearing is a tired noise and it increases at high speed and low speed at less than 60mph.

I also can see the Eco poping up on tge dash screen! So i dont think eco will come up at speed 160mph!

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
You'll probably be even more unhappy if you switch to a tire other than the Pirelli in that size. That tire was pretty much designed for the Jeep with performance in mind.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
427 Posts
If you have a spare, you don't need run flats. I have the Hankook Ventus ST 295/45/20 on my wk2 hemi and they look and ride amazing. $700 shipped from discounttiredirect.com, You can't go wrong with a price like that!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
i have the stock tyres and changed them once since i got the car, since they wore out

SRT recommends them, if there is some kind of noice comming, you should check it out
it maybe that the tyres are not alligned properly.

can we have pix?

assuming this is the right size?
295/45/20

·
Registered
577 Posts
It could be stone get caught between the tire groove, and when the window is down you hear a rapid click sound as the tire rotate,that happened quite a bit with these wide tires,it happened in my sport car sometimes when I drive it,especially with the top down you hear the sound,and then I stop and plug some stone out of the tire,and I think those are 235/40 R 18, 255/35 R 18 on my MB cabriolet.

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
Vredestein has 275/40/20's

BLACK OPS Auto Works

Also 315/35/20's
BLACK OPS Auto Works

Great tires at a great price I'm sure someone who has these will chime in.
One of the best mods I personally have ever done was get rid of the Run Flats the noise and ride quality dramatically improve!! RUN FLATS ARE JUST LOUD you will see the difference when you change.
Those are too small for a WK2 by about 1.5" in diameter. Vreds do ride smooth though.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,014 Posts
295-45-20 was a sucky size for SRT to put on these beasts......

I dont have runflats on my 13' SRT.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am currently researching tires. There are a few non-runflat options, but 295/45 zr20s are not common. I'm about sold on Yokohamas at $180 per tire. The OEM Runflats run around $480 ($515 at dealer) per tire, which is a bit much for me.

Anyone have any suggestions or tire comments?
I have the Yokohama Paradas and they work great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, Thanks guys for all your comments and feed back.

@Balck Ops Auto Works: I'm living in the middle east and I think it is a bit hard to buy these tires. I also thank you very much for providing other tire size ^_^ I'm thinking to buy one of these sizes.

I'll update you all what I have installed in few days ^_^

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,014 Posts
black ops will ship to you-FYI

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,014 Posts
I found my Nitto 420s to be better handling IMHO than the stock runflats. The seemed to "wallow" in curves if that makes sense. The nittos also seem to be stickier.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found these and am searching for them here around UAE Middle East. I think these are perfect for the SRT8 Jeep since they fit the wheels.

1. Dunlop SP Sport MAXX DSST ROF 275/45ZR20 "Speed Rating W"

2. GoodYear Eagle GT 275/45ZR20 "Speed Rating W"

3. Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS 275/45ZR20 "Speed Rating W"

4. Yokohama Parada Spec - X 295/45/20

I'll see if I can find them around. They seem to be all good tires to me.

The stock tires are good, but to be honest they don't last long. I don't want to keep spending money paying big amounts on tires and change my tires 3 times or 4 times a year. That is basically sick!When I lowered the car. The dealer kept saying not recommended, you will lose 4wheel drive warranty, You car will start shaking, don't change the tires to other than stock.. I was like oh really? It like telling a kid don't do this! I have been in cars world for long time and It's not my first time to go out of stock and be in the after market. It feels more free and comfortable than dealing with those crazy stock people.

I came here to ask and It was nice welcome from all and to be answered with the least help and I do appreciate that ^_^ It is just my first SUV which makes me a bit lost cause I have been a coupe driver for long time :p and I'm still having a coupe.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,014 Posts
yeah...you will not lose ANY warranty not using the stock tires.....thats just lies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.