Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all this being my first post, I’m really looking for some advice. The GC I’m writing about was purchased for my wife @ around 40k miles as a cpo was maintained by the dealer for around 90k miles while we owned it. We sold it just a month or so back never having any major issues. The new owners are very nice people but the GC has become a nightmare for them. Within a few weeks of selling it to them they had what seemed to be a head gasket blow. A milky white sludge in the radiator. Never ran hot according to them never really ran bad. Had the head gaskets replaced and heads checked by a machine shop. 1500 miles after the repair they are having the same issue of a lot of oil in the coolant and around 2qrts oil lose over 1500 miles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my wife and I feel terrible that this is going on. Thanks

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
Who did the head gasket replacement? Cause if the head gasket is leaking again after 1500 miles, someone screwed up, either the shop that did the replacement or the machine shop that checked it for flatness and surface.

Perhaps having the head bolts retorqued might do it, but if its torque to yield, which a lot of Chrysler Aluminum head bolts are, I don't think you can really retorque those. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Finally, people have been raving about the Blue Devil Headgasket Sealant. But its one of those additives that claim to fix problems. Its seems to work, while many additives are pure snake oil, or just ineffective. Its a temporary fix at best, but it may work for a long while.

Before you go mucking around with the Blue Devil, you really need to go back to the shop that did the headgasket replacement.

There is only two ways a headgasket starts leaking only 1500 miles after being replaced. Either the head is warped (so the machine shop that checked it screwed up) or the mechanic doing the replacement screwed up the job, either missed something or was so sloppy and didn't follow the directions and just slapped the gasket between two surfaces in need of cleaning and smoothing (blowing that off) and just torqued the head down.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,848 Posts
for oil in coolant, but not coolant in oil how is that a head gasket to begin with? doesn't that have to be a high pressure oil to coolant leak? either a cracked block in a high pressure oil area or oil to coolant cooler like on the 3.6 and 6.4? Can't recall if the '12 5.7l has an oil to coolant oil cooler, it doesn't have the oil/coolant cooler at oil filter base, right?

I may have my thinking scrambled but it's the best I can do at the moment ;) please straighten out any bent thinking, thx.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
Oil Pressure on a good engine is 28PSI to 55PSI.
Coolant Pressure on a good cooling system is 18PSI.

If there is a leak in a gasket with oil and coolant on either side of the gasket, the oil being under higher pressure will flow into the coolant.

The head is one such spot that both oil and coolant flow through the gasket back and forth between the block and the head.

Another one that hadn't occurred to me. If the only symptom they have is oil in the coolant. It is possible the oil is left over after the last headgasket leak and the shop didn't do a good job flushing the cooling system. The oil consumption could be a bad/dirty PCV valve.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,848 Posts
yeah just had my pressure gradient backwards in my head...so why no coolant in oil as well? small leak vs totally blown out head gasket where both sides mix? could also be an intake man gasket small leak where oil gets vacuumed in during cool down but seals when hot so no coolant in oil....

I like your thought about old/residual oil too...

Oil Pressure on a good engine is 28PSI to 55PSI.
Coolant Pressure on a good cooling system is 18PSI.

If there is a leak in a gasket with oil and coolant on either side of the gasket, the oil being under higher pressure will flow into the coolant.

The head is one such spot that both oil and coolant flow through the gasket back and forth between the block and the head.

Another one that hadn't occurred to me. If the only symptom they have is oil in the coolant. It is possible the oil is left over after the last headgasket leak and the shop didn't do a good job flushing the cooling system. The oil consumption could be a bad/dirty PCV valve.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
yeah just had my pressure gradient backwards in my head...so why no coolant in oil as well? small leak vs totally blown out head gasket where both sides mix? could also be an intake man gasket small leak where oil gets vacuumed in during cool down but seals when hot so no coolant in oil....

I like your thought about old/residual oil too...
No two head gasket leaks are the same. So there are plenty of leaks where fluids swap both ways, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, etc; only one way, intermittent, constant, slight or great, it goes on and on.

My last vehicle, I had a head gasket leak that only occurred when the engine was cold soaked overnight, and there was a change in seasons to expose the engine to significantly different ambient temperatures for a few days. Then it only allowed one cylinder to suck in coolant for a few seconds on first start, which I figure it heated the block and head enough to expand close the leak. A bottle of Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant solved the problem immediately, and for a leak that slight, I'd think it would a legitimate to at least attempt it and see what happens. Good thing I didn't jump to changing the headgasket right away, I wrecked the car a month later. lol

BTW, the PCV is designed to evacuate all fumes and moisture out of the crankcase. So it is possible some coolant is getting in the oil and oil temps and pcv system is evaporating it and sucking it out. If this was true, I bet an oil sample analysis would say something like chemicals consistent with anti-freeze is contaminating the oil.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
Any idea what was the brand of the head gaskets?
The head gasket is only as good as the care and thoroughness of the installer doing the head gasket change.

I've yet to hear of a brand of head gasket that was so poor in quality, it only lasted 1500 miles.

While I've heard of many of sloppy, cutting corners or incompetent head gasket jobs only lasting 1500 miles.

Perhaps if it was an Airtex brand head gasket, but I don't think Airtex has been marketing head gaskets. Airtex is the worst, avoid that brand like the plague, it mostly rebuilt and new parts like water pumps, alternator, ps pumps, electronic modules. I had a brand new water pump fail in 20k miles. Seen numerous complaints online that their parts were bad out of the box brand new. They clearly have no quality control at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2014 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. Got oil in the radiator, no over hearing issues, just oil and loss of antifreeze. Does the 5.7 have an oil cooler where oil can enter into the radiator?
First post to this forum. Did you figure this out? I just purchased a 2012 ram. Found foam in the antifreeze. Naturally the previous owner claims to not know anything. Drained antifreeze and found about 4 qts black oil. I think it's motor oil. Did a compression test and all were within 5% and had good compression. I scoped the cylinders and none looked like they were getting coolant in them. Next I rented a radiator pressure tester and so far it has held 16 lbs for the last 4 hours. I am at a loss and would love any ideas any of you have as to what to look at next. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 GC Overland
284 Posts
There's probably an automatic transmission cooler that runs the tranny fluid through separate metal tubes within the radiator. If it happens to leak inside the radiator you could get an tranny fluid in the coolant. Any sign of antifreeze in the motor oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No. None at all. No residue under the fill cap either. It was a significant amount of oil.

I am trying to decide if a chemical test would tell me anything different. My confusion is to how is passes the coolant pressure test. I would think with that much oil that it would have failed. I left the pressure gauge on for 12 hours and it dropped maybe 2 lbs. That could just be in my fittings. Could it be that it has to be running? Heated up? The pressure gradient would have to be higher on the oil side otherwise there would be coolant in my oil. Is there high pressure oil in the heads?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought the truck with "a bad fuel pump" the fuse had been pulled out so the relay had no power. Suspicious. I bought it out of the parking lot of the shop that has always serviced it and had given it a clean bill of health otherwise. Seems to be someone pulled the fuse so that I wouldn't see it foam up while running. The antifreeze in the overflow was clean. (probably replaced) and I was dumb and didn't open the radiator cap. Now I'm just trying to determine what kind of mess I've gotten into. My thoughts were head gasket or head, but with a passing compression test, cylinders all looking the same in the bore scope, and it holding pressure in the coolant system, I'm at a loss. I don't think it has a transmission cooler anywhere that would short circuit coolant. 2012 ram 5.7 hemi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out where the oil in the coolant is coming from? I have the same issue with a 2012 ram 5.7. Lots of oil in the coolant but no sign of coolant in the oil. I haven't found much information out there about this issue. I have learned that the lifters get their oil supply through the push rods so that would mean that pressurized oil has to pass through the head gasket to get to the rocker shaft. Also the transmission cooler on my truck is external and is not in the radiator. I don't have an oil cooler either so that is ruled out. May be time to pull the heads and have a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still have not. Truck runs great. I flushed the coolant and am going to run it for a while and see what happens. If you pull the head I would love to hear what you find. I don't have money or time to worry about it right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi to all this being my first post, I’m really looking for some advice. The GC I’m writing about was purchased for my wife @ around 40k miles as a cpo was maintained by the dealer for around 90k miles while we owned it. We sold it just a month or so back never having any major issues. The new owners are very nice people but the GC has become a nightmare for them. Within a few weeks of selling it to them they had what seemed to be a head gasket blow. A milky white sludge in the radiator. Never ran hot according to them never really ran bad. Had the head gaskets replaced and heads checked by a machine shop. 1500 miles after the repair they are having the same issue of a lot of oil in the coolant and around 2qrts oil lose over 1500 miles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my wife and I feel terrible that this is going on. Thanks
Did you solve the oil in coolant issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out where the oil in the coolant is coming from? I have the same issue with a 2012 ram 5.7. Lots of oil in the coolant but no sign of coolant in the oil. I haven't found much information out there about this issue. I have learned that the lifters get their oil supply through the push rods so that would mean that pressurized oil has to pass through the head gasket to get to the rocker shaft. Also the transmission cooler on my truck is external and is not in the radiator. I don't have an oil cooler either so that is ruled out. May be time to pull the heads and have a look.
Did you find out what was causing this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought the truck with "a bad fuel pump" the fuse had been pulled out so the relay had no power. Suspicious. I bought it out of the parking lot of the shop that has always serviced it and had given it a clean bill of health otherwise. Seems to be someone pulled the fuse so that I wouldn't see it foam up while running. The antifreeze in the overflow was clean. (probably replaced) and I was dumb and didn't open the radiator cap. Now I'm just trying to determine what kind of mess I've gotten into. My thoughts were head gasket or head, but with a passing compression test, cylinders all looking the same in the bore scope, and it holding pressure in the coolant system, I'm at a loss. I don't think it has a transmission cooler anywhere that would short circuit coolant. 2012 ram 5.7 hemi.
Did you find out what the problem was?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you find out what was causing the problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you figure out what the problem was?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts