Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
ned antifreeze and found about 4 qts black oil. I think it's motor oil. Did a compression test and all were within 5% and had good compression. I scoped the cylinders and none looked like they were getting coolant in them. Next I rented a radiator pressure tester and so far it has held 16 lbs for the last 4 hours. I am at a loss and would love any ideas any of you have as to what to look at next. Thanks!
You have the 5.7L HEMI correct?

The WK2 5.7L doesn't have an oil cooler, I think the RAM trucks may have one, so a leak in an oil cooler could be the problem.

With the state of the Antifreeze OEM and aftermarket, basically no one tells you what it is they are selling you and makes all sorts of bogus and false claims about it. Its always possible incompatible anti-freeze got mixed into the coolant and caused a reaction, although I'll grant you, the photos really looks like used motor oil.

I had a headgasket leak that was so intermittent I eliminated in all troubleshooting, but when it happened I lost a gallon of coolant down one cylinder causing all sorts of codes as a result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with a 2012 ram 1500 5.7. I replaced every part of the engine including block (each one at a time). It made seven or eight visits to the shop. I finally decided to use the pre Eagle head gaskets and the problem was solved. I believe the factory Chrysler 5.7 Eagle style head gaskets allow oil to pass from the oil supply holes for the heads to enter the water jacket below. I also believe the slight mist of copper coat that I always use successfully on every other head gasket contributed to flattening the gasket when torqued. I will not use Chrysler 5.7 Eagle style head gasket again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. Head gaskets were replaced and heads pressure tested and resurfaced by a mechanic while they were off and this did not solve the issue. We came across another truck so the problem child got pushed to the back of the yard for a while. Ended up replacing the block and that took care of the problem. Truck has been back on the road now for three weeks or and all seems well so far. Definitely threw us for a loop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with a 2012 ram 1500 5.7. I replaced every part of the engine including block (each one at a time). It made seven or eight visits to the shop. I finally decided to use the pre Eagle head gaskets and the problem was solved. I believe the factory Chrysler 5.7 Eagle style head gaskets allow oil to pass from the oil supply holes for the heads to enter the water jacket below. I also believe the slight mist of copper coat that I always use successfully on every other head gasket contributed to flattening the gasket when torqued. I will not use Chrysler 5.7 Eagle style head gasket again.

do you have a part # for the gaskets you used? I have the same problem and don’t wanna play around with multiple tear downs

21 - 27 of 27 Posts