Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 2013 with a very strange fault. I was not driving when it broke down, i was told it lost power and had a smell of electrical burning.

Now the key less door works, but the ignition dose not see the wireless key. I insert the fob into the dash hole after popping the button off and turn it , and the ignition lights come on but dose not turn over. Strange thing the dash message says push clutch in to start, even though its an automatic! Plugged a scanner in and getting U0100-00-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH PCM error. Its looking like the powertrain control module (PCM) or the Totally Integrated Power Module TIPM are faulty? I have had the battery tested and its all good.

I am about to start pulling it apart to find the source of the electrical burn, any suggestions?

Thanks
Darryl

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I have progressed with this problem. Unfortunately when the car first broke down i was not there so was unaware what was done. I am told there was a smell of electrical burning, but they could not find the battery. So they disconnected the cable on the jump start positive terminal in the engine bay, thinking it would stop any burning. I transported the car home and reconnected the cable, i did not realize there were two cables on that terminal, the one to the starter motor was not reconnected. I was poking around looking for something obvious and found the cable disconnected. This has made a big difference but not fixed the car.

Now the push button start works, and the engine tries to start, but its like the battery is flat. I have had the battery tested and told its good, also charged it over night. I even tried jump starting off another car but still its like the battery is low and the engine only turns a few times when trying to start.

These things have a pretty big battery, could it still be the battery?

Thanks for any input, Darryl

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had batteries that "acted" like they were good, even "tested" good and still would not start a vehicle. However, with that being said, it kind of sounds like something more serious in your case. These Jeeps are a pain in the ass to troubleshoot electrical issues. Long story short, my electrical system was freaking out from the dash to all the sensors. It turned out to be a malfunctioning headlight leveling part in the passenger side headlight assembly. It appears that my dealership is pretty damned good at chasing electrical issues and I could have been chasing the codes for days before giving up.

Anyhow, good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts