Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither of my 2 key fobs work after changing batteries. Looking for suggestions. Contacts in the soft rubber piece appear to be ok. Anyone know where the receiver is located in the vehicle or how to diagnose the issue? 2013 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Car alarm Toy Peripheral Input device Gesture

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same thing here. Put a new battery in the fob, and now the car says it can't find the key! So while sitting in the car, I press lock and unlock car, then the fob works. Beats me !

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
783 Posts
Okay.. this morning, I replaced the battery in the key fob... and guess what.. when I got in the jeep, it did not find the key. I saw this thread yesterday and my first thought was, "What the heck, did all the key fobs decide to stop working on the same day?". lol

I was in a rush to get to work, so I removed the "start/stop" button, put the key in, started the jeep and went on my way. Once I reached work, I looked at the key and noticed it was NOT fully closed. Took the key out, pressed it shut and guess what, everything works now.

So, my only suggestion is to make sure the battery is put correctly (+/-) and the key fob is closed properly. HTH!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Played with the new battery while sitting in the jeep, no luck. I don't think it's a coincidence that both of my fobs quit working so trying to find out where in the vehicle the receiver is located. Jeep dealer didn't even know - told me to make an appointment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks guys. Played with the new battery while sitting in the jeep, no luck. I don't think it's a coincidence that both of my fobs quit working so trying to find out where in the vehicle the receiver is located. Jeep dealer didn't even know - told me to make an appointment.
Did you try the "lock/unlock" function while in the car ? Does that part of the fob still work ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I approach the door handle, it unlocks. The push buttons/remote start don't work from the key fobs.
Did you try the "lock/unlock" function while in the car ? Does that part of the fob still work ?
Lock/Unlock function did not work. Went to O'Reilly - they have a FOB tester... FOB working fine. Leads me to believe the problem is in the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Open the fob, remove the circuit board and clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol and q-tip. Make sure the cup contacts are still centered and attached to underside of rubber buttons. If they're separated, clean contact and rubber nub with alcohol and carefully superglue back in place.

·
Registered
'23 GC WL74 Limited (Jim)
170 Posts
Open the fob, remove the circuit board and clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol and q-tip. Make sure the cup contacts are still centered and attached to underside of rubber buttons. If they're separated, clean contact and rubber nub with alcohol and carefully superglue back in place.
Just an add to this. If the batteries are smooth sided on one side try scuffing it a little, and then pull up a bit on the "contact pronges" to get better contact. This worked for me on an '06 Mustang I owned. It's a mystery to me that both FOBs quit working at the same time leading me to think it's all in the batteries. Good Luck.

Also, (and I don't mean to disparage you here) are you sure the batteries are good? There's no telling how long they set before you purchased them. I'm a simple man (the wife calls it simple minded), and with the only varaible here being the batteries, that's where I would think the problem is. But I have been wrong before, just ask my wife. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried that too. On both FOBs. Neither work which leads me to believe the problem is inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, sounds right, the problem should be in vehicle. The GC I just bought had fob issues with starting as well but I don't remember if the lock/unlock worked. Turned out there was wiring directly under the power brake booster that was chewed by rodents. Was repaired by dealer by previous owner. I'm somewhat new to FCA products and am still trying to get my head around their troubleshooting procedures without a scanner for code readings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - I'll trace the wiring if I could find where the receiver unit was located. No one (including technician at the dealership) can tell me where it's located.

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
783 Posts
I did a bit of Google search. I found two parts and unsure which one you will need. Hoping this helps you.

#1. Located in the dash (front), Wireless Ignition Node Receiver - Mopar (68105739AC)
#2. Seems like this one is located near rear passenger door side (C - pillar?), Passive Entry Receiver - Mopar (68271198AC)

Search those part numbers on Original Mopar Parts & Accessories | Mopar Estores for more info.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a bit of Google search. I found two parts and unsure which one you will need. Hoping this helps you.

#1. Located in the dash (front), Wireless Ignition Node Receiver - Mopar (68105739AC)
#2. Seems like this one is located near rear passenger door side (C - pillar?), Passive Entry Receiver - Mopar (68271198AC)

Search those part numbers on Original Mopar Parts & Accessories | Mopar Estores for more info.

Cheers!
Thank you - that gives me something to go on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts