Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys

I have a 2013 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee that have a Long Crank Before Engine Start.

So after looking over the internet I found that there was a recall for 2012/2013. There was a tiny fuel power relay inside the TIPM (Relay Box) that’s was the problem. So the cure was installing an external relay as you can read here:

This repair was done by the Jeep Dealer before they deliver the car to me when it was new.

My car has been working perfectly until a few weeks ago when it start to develop the same Long Crank Before Engine Start.

So checking this recall, I decide to check that relay. I found the external relay with an independent fuse holder. Open the fuse holder and to my surprise, the plastic part of the fuse was melted.

Checking further found that the wire going from the fuse holder to the relay socket was like rotten (wire was corroded (turns from shinny copper to black)

So I decided to change everything. New Fuse Holder, Relay Socket, even that they use a Bosh relay I install a new Bosh 30/40 amp Relay. Installed everything and the engine start immediately!

So I went out with car and like every 10 minutes I stop the car in some parking spot, shut off the engine, wait 20 seconds and press the start button and this thing start immediately. I do this like 10 times and every time this thing start immediately.

So I drive to a store to buy something, was there like 20 or 30 minutes and going back to my car. When press the Start Button it was with the same Long Crank before Engine Start problem.

So I drive back to my home stopping in some places to check again if the engine starts OK and guess what. This thing was starting immediately.

So at my house I do the same test and everything was ok………. But decide to wait 30 minutes and then try to start the engine and there was the same Long Crank before Engine Start problem.

Its look like there has to be a problem with the fuel that goes back to the tank after some time the engine is sitting off and there is no fuel on the fuel injector rail and that`s why I have this problem.

Have any of you has experienced this problem? How you solved? What part you advise me to check or replace.

Thx for your time and help

Isaac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I have the same problem. Changed the relay and still it will long crank every so often. Hopefully the new recall out soon will fix this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have the same problem. Changed the relay and still it will long crank every so often. Hopefully the new recall out soon will fix this problem.
Hey Jlow28

The Fuel Pump Relay Recall was in December 2014. I am pretty sure my problem is no related to this relay since I have replaced everything regarding that Fuel Pump Relay.

If I shut off the engine, wait 20 seconds and press the start button, this thing start immediately....... Also if Ido this like 10 times....... every time this thing start immediately.

My long crank before start problem "only" happens when the car is sitting for more than 20 minutes......

Rgs,

Isaac

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like a check valve is not working properly. I recommend running a good fuel system cleaner (Chevron Techron?) thru 2 full tanks of gas. Couldn't hurt and might help.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
+1 long crank only on cold start is probably a bad check valve.

Unlikely to cause a recall; there is no hazard unless you're a bank robber or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Tomk

Do you know where is located this check valve?

Thx

Rgs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like a check valve is not working properly. I recommend running a good fuel system cleaner (Chevron Techron?) thru 2 full tanks of gas. Couldn't hurt and might help.

Tom
Since I have the same issue I picked up some Chevron fuel cleaner and a fuel pump relay. Can’t hurt anything. Should idle better too.
Funny thing is my remote start doesn’t do the extended crank.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The problem I had on my 2018 happens when it is above 90 degrees outside. After I drive in the heat for a while then park it for at least a couple hours then try to start, it will have a long crank and sometimes time itself out and shut down the starter. The second crank will always fire right up. Last summer I did some experimenting and under the same conditions if I hit the start button with my foot off the brake and cycle it to run, then step on the brake and hit start, it will fire right up. This has occurred since new during high temperatures. I never took it in to the dealer because I know it will be a wasted effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts