Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find it as difficult as I have when trying to get the fuel nozzle into the capless fuel filler cap? I went to fill up for the first time tonight and literally had to force the nozzle into the cap.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Apparently so. There are quite a few comments in another thread regarding this.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just filled up last night and it went right in. No trouble trying to get the nozzle in the capless fuel hole.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Let's see a photo of that capless filler please.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maybe the capless cap needs some lube.....

Maybe I will take a video next time. People will be looking at me wondering what the hell I am doing. Oh heck, I will just go to the gas station at wal-mart, nobody gives a crap about anything there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear ya PMD. I was unable to add fuel at my Shell station. The Shell pump nozzles have some sort of coil/spring thing that wraps around the nozzle about half way up. Combine that with length and angle of the filler assembly prevents the nozzle from going in enough. Quite frustrating. Filled up at Sunoco with no problems. The Sunoco pumps do NOT have this spring thing on the nozzles. I like the idea of a capless filler but this is a little disappointing. Still absolutely freaking love this GC Overland though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is this just a "learning curve" or a "mechanical issue" ?

In New Jersey we can't pump our own gas so that means there will always be somebody new pumping and trying to figure it out - so just wondering if it's just a metal piece that will lossen up over time etc. ?

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Is this just a "learning curve" or a "mechanical issue" ?

In New Jersey we can't pump our own gas so that means there will always be somebody new pumping and trying to figure it out - so just wondering if it's just a metal piece that will lossen up over time etc. ?
You do have to put the nozzle straight in. If you go at an angle it can get hung up on whatever they have internally. I can see some kid trying to force it, so hopefully these things are strong.

The capless filler seems to be a solution without a problem. Has anyone read anything directly from Jeep that explains the decision to go with this?

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,195 Posts
The capless filler seems to be a solution without a problem. Has anyone read anything directly from Jeep that explains the decision to go with this?

To you and I may not be a problem but the actual problem is fuel smell on your hands.

That being said, proper fuel tank pressurization is needed to ensure the engine does not throw anonymous (until read) CELs. I wonder how the system will hold up after a few years worth of use, with salt, corrosion, dirt and grime factored in. Another concern is with air quality/emissions testing facilities that perform filler cap pressure testing (against factory spec).

·
Registered
783 Posts
Our previous car always made the check engine light turn on after refueling even after following the steps and turning the cap to 3 clicks. I ended up replacing the cap which solve the issue for a year before returning and causing the same issue. I'm happy with the capless system since I no longer have to worry about not having the cap on correctly.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
I hope that light doesn't come on now. It will mean a trip to the dealer.

I haven't had a problem with mine. I just never saw the need. From what you are saying, there might have been a need I just wasn't aware of.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Thanks for the photo. Fuel on hands? Lame. Only answer I have is that it is cheaper than a cap and cord.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have problems with filling up at some stations her in Atlanta. Some nozzles won't fit all the way in. Two different times I had to stand there and manually hold the lever because it would not fit in all the way and it kept cutting off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Seems the capless thing must have needed a break in becuase I just filled up at the same station but at a different pump and it went right in.

·
Registered
Ram 1500
854 Posts
I just filled my wife's for the first time. What a pita... My fusion has a capless filler and it has worked perfect from day 1. This thing I had to force it in at a angle, it would go straight in and had to hold the handle of the pump down otherwise it kept kicking off the pump, great job jeep!

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Summit
174 Posts
Interesting - I find it nice , filled up 4x now (Sunoco and Mobile) and haven't had any problems, stick it in and let it fill.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts