Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 8648 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
it has nothing to do with sales and more with engineering and production.

·
Registered
747 Posts
One would think delaying CRD availability until fall is not going to do good things for their supposed "demand exceeding expectations" comment from a couple months ago.

Not only do you have several of us that gave up on waiting, but once the summer driving season is over, gas prices drop and diesel goes up...

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I know I keep hearing that JNAP is "ready to build" the CRD

I don't get it...? They can build the CRD for export in the 2014 but not for here. Is there some other difference other than the SCR that makes it so hard to build for here. The RAM has SCR on on the new Diesels and DEF has been around for a few years now so I wouldn't think there would be a lack of know how.

Is there something that was discovered during the Export build that is affecting the decision to produce for here?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I know I keep hearing that JNAP is "ready to build" the CRD
I wonder if, while JNAP is ready to build the NA versions, the Italians don't have enough engines to supply the ramp in production for both overseas and NA production. So, while JNAP maybe ready, they just don't have enough parts to support both lines?

It's *really* discouraging at any rate to see this much chaos and slippage on a launch.

I'd totally be up for a Hemi, if the MPG wasn't so horrid. As it stands now on my 09, I make .6 MPG above the City estimate on my normal driving. If I assume I'd do the same in the Hemi, my wallet would go into sticker shock (as I'd be filling up twice a week at the pump).

It's either the CRD or the V6 for me. The pisser of course on the V6 is no EDiff and towing anything will kill the MPG.

If I ignore those, it leads me to look at other models like the Durango, Explorer and such. I took a Durango for an overnight test drive and really rather liked it. The only thing I have against it is the AWD system, which, I suspect, is QT1, as it didn't have a low gear box.

Bugger.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
If I ignore those, it leads me to look at other models like the Durango, Explorer and such. I took a Durango for an overnight test drive and really rather liked it. The only thing I have against it is the AWD system, which, I suspect, is QT1, as it didn't have a low gear box.

Bugger.
Driving the Durango with the Hemi and it has LOW but I drove the V6 and it didn't. It is really nice but I WANT a CRD for towing :p

They discovered the CRD burns oil???

:D

:lol:

Wait it does what :eek:

BUGGER!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Driving the Durango with the Hemi and it has LOW but I drove the V6 and it didn't. It is really nice but I WANT a CRD for towing :p
ARG.

Figured as much. On the website you can't tell (it doesn't say anything on the V8 giving you low range in the 2013 and I couldn't find anything in either post by Milous or Scott on the 2014 that said one way or the other).

I'm also right there with you, I want the CRD for towing. The V6 would be fine for day to day stuff, but the moment ya start towing, you'd really wish you had that CRD with ya.

Sooo.... Hemi in a Durango to get 4x4, a V6 in the GJC, or wait... and wait... and wait.. on a CRD.

#$%@

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
1,983 Posts
The EPA has not yet issued a certification for the VM Motori diesel engine.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/hwy.htm

ANNUAL CERTIFICATION TEST RESULTS & DATA

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm

Go to the link above, select Model Year 2014 XLS (Excel) document in the section
Light Duty Vehicle Data <ins datetime="2013-3-15"> </ins>
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/documents/cert-tst/14actrr.xls

open it up and scroll down to Chrysler LLC and then scroll to the right to view the Grand Cherokee model. You will see that the only Grand Cherokee's currently certified are those with Tier 2 - Gasoline engines. The column of interest is AI so keep scrolling to the right.

Now, by comparison, scroll up to AUDI, on the same column. You will see engines certified for Diesel 7-15 ppm Sulfur.

The engine has not yet been approved for sale in US and a requirement for that is having its engine certified by the EPA. It is possible that it has not been submitted to EPA for approval yet. Or maybe it was submitted and it did not pass. Maybe some tweaking was needed, it was done, the engine is ready but EPA only accepts engines for certification only a few times per year. I don't know that. But as of March 2013, the only approved engines are the gasoline ones.

·
Registered
Overland & BMW R11GS
52 Posts
ARG.

I'm also right there with you, I want the CRD for towing. The V6 would be fine for day to day stuff, but the moment ya start towing, you'd really wish you had that CRD with ya.

#$%@
Yep. Looks like I am going to bail on the CRD and go with the JGC V6 for the next few years. JGC V6 torque means I can tow my 19 foot Airstream Bambi just fine....but everything gets much, much less satisfactory when I look at upgrading the 19 foot travel trailer to a heavier 23 foot or 25 foot trailer.

·
Registered
A Real Jeep
2,771 Posts
The EPA has not yet issued a certification for the VM Motori diesel engine.

On-road Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

ANNUAL CERTIFICATION TEST RESULTS & DATA

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm

Go to the link above, select Model Year 2014 XLS (Excel) document in the section
Light Duty Vehicle Data <ins datetime="2013-3-15"> </ins>
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/documents/cert-tst/14actrr.xls

open it up and scroll down to Chrysler LLC and then scroll to the right to view the Grand Cherokee model. You will see that the only Grand Cherokee's currently certified are those with Tier 2 - Gasoline engines. The column of interest is AI so keep scrolling to the right.

Now, by comparison, scroll up to AUDI, on the same column. You will see engines certified for Diesel 7-15 ppm Sulfur.

The engine has not yet been approved for sale in US and a requirement for that is having its engine certified by the EPA. It is possible that it has not been submitted to EPA for approval yet. Or maybe it was submitted and it did not pass. Maybe some tweaking was needed, it was done, the engine is ready but EPA only accepts engines for certification only a few times per year. I don't know that. But as of March 2013, the only approved engines are the gasoline ones.
Ding Ding Ding!!!!!

We *are* ready to build it!

CTC hasn't given us acceptable parts and programming!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Wow! Somebody really screwed the pooch on that one. It's not like they didn't know EPA certification was a requirement and how long that would take....

·
Registered
A Real Jeep
2,771 Posts
Wow! Somebody really screwed the pooch on that one. It's not like they didn't know EPA certification was a requirement and how long that would take....
But remember, we don't know why it has not yet been certified.

So lets not jump to conclusions about that.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Let me rephrase. Huge company with a large engineering staff. This is not the first time to the rodeo as far as certifying a new engine.

Someone somewhere in the organization was confident enough that whatever hiccup that came up would be worked out to the point that marketing has been all over getting the word out for months. Whether the cause is a supplier issue, bean counters, etc.., anything like that, still a little embarrassing that the EPA acceptance is the holdup.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

Check for Banana's in the tailpipe?

In all seriousness... this suuuuuuuuuucks.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Check for Banana's in the tailpipe?

In all seriousness... this suuuuuuuuuucks.
That's funny.:lol:

If the EPA is anything like the FDA, you ju$t have to make it worth their trouble to approve $omething

21 - 40 of 8648 Posts