Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 8648 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
This certification issue directly contradicts what Milous and chevy_boy have been saying about the hold up.
Not really.

Milous said several CRD's were built, but for EPA testing as well as rapid response field testing.

Chevy was speculating it was Marketing being a bunch of dicks.

Everyone has been saying they were building them for export like gangbusters, and nothing was stopping them from building in the US (which means supply wasn't an issue) except the green light to go. Which means, it was authorization to do so (so either marketing being dicks, or some legal reason they couldn't.... enter the EPA).

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
^
OK, we then can conclude that someone is being a real dick. Maybe it's all of the above- except Milous and Chevy. They're something different.
Let's start a class action lawsuit against the EPA and the marketing department on the grounds that we don't want them to be dicks and that our CRDs will have depreciated too much by Q4.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I know I keep hearing that JNAP is "ready to build" the CRD

I don't get it...? They can build the CRD for export in the 2014 but not for here. Is there some other difference other than the SCR that makes it so hard to build for here. The RAM has SCR on on the new Diesels and DEF has been around for a few years now so I wouldn't think there would be a lack of know how.

Is there something that was discovered during the Export build that is affecting the decision to produce for here?
the delay is happening with the ram and dart as well

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
1,983 Posts
The fact that the diesel engine is being made for export has no bearing over the approval for sale as new vehicle OEM motor in US. If anything, you should be encouraged by the fact that the hold-up is not the assembly plant. US emission requirements are very strict, stricter than anywhere else including Europe. In the list that I hot-linked, there was also information about CARB (California Air Resources Board) and vehicles CARB-approved. CARB regulations are stricter than Federal EPA...so it's not like Jeep is delaying because they could not get a 50-state certification and tweaking the California spec vehicle.

We do not know why there is no EPA certification at this time. I do not have the time to research but if the manufacturer has already submitted the diesel for testing, there should be a public record of that. It may exist already, including a reason for a denial if that is the case. But if the car has not yet been submitted to EPA for certification, that adds more diesel fuel to the conspiracies...regarding the power plant itself.

·
Registered
A Real Jeep
2,771 Posts
For whatever reason, the Cherokee has experienced a few delays itself... already!

·
Registered
187 Posts
^
OK, we then can conclude that someone is being a real dick. Maybe it's all of the above- except Milous and Chevy. They're something different.
Let's start a class action lawsuit against the EPA and the marketing department on the grounds that we don't want them to be dicks and that our CRDs will have depreciated too much by Q4.
Here here. I'm in!

·
Registered
Overland & BMW R11GS
52 Posts
If EPA is the hold up :banghead:
Even if the EPA is the holdup, I still think it comes back to Chrysler/Jeep execs not having their ducks in a row, which other SUV companies seem to be able to do without all the drama from Jeep.

The VW Touareg TDI, the Porsche Cayenne Diesel and the Mercedes ML350 BlueTec all have similar diesel engines, 8-speed transmissions and emissions control technology to the Jeep GC CRD. Those other SUV's have EPA certification---the current VW Treg model since 2011. It shouldn't be an excuse from Jeep to not be able to get it right for EPA certification, IF that is part of the holdup.

Just saying...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looking at the bright side, now I have an extra few months to make deposits into the new Jeep fund and increase our down payment.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
More likely full production is being used for 3.6s and there is little remaining capacity for 3.2s that go into lower profit margin cars.

Also if introed now, it could take sales from WK2s.

That said if I were in the market for a replacement for my '12, I'd probably consider the Cherokee. Wonder why it is not flex-fuel.

·
Registered
Overland & BMW R11GS
52 Posts
Looking at the bright side, now I have an extra few months to make deposits into the new Jeep fund and increase our down payment.
At this rate, your fund may end up becoming a retirement fund. :rolleyes:

Seriously: glad you can see a glass half full!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
More likely full production is being used for 3.6s and there is little remaining capacity for 3.2s that go into lower profit margin cars.

Also if introed now, it could take sales from WK2s.

That said if I were in the market for a replacement for my '12, I'd probably consider the Cherokee. Wonder why it is not flex-fuel.

What? The delay for the Cherokee is because of some issues that are still being resolved. If its going to take sales from the WK2 a month delay isn't going to make a difference with that. The 3.2s are made on a separate line from the 3.6 and Chrysler made a heavy investment in the Trenton engine plant for this engine line. They also made a very large investment in Toledo north where the new Cherokee will be built and time is money. They are not going to just let this plant sit idle because they don't want to take sales from the WK2. This vehicle will be launched as soon as they can. That's why they spent all this money developing it.

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,808 Posts
They also made a very large investment in Toledo north where the new Cherokee will be built and time is money. They are not going to just let this plant sit idle because they don't want to take sales from the WK2. This vehicle will be launched as soon as they can. That's why they spent all this money developing it.
They should have spent some of that money on a re-done front and rear for the Cherokee... Good golly miss molly that thing is ugly!! In any case I agree with everyone on this board Chryfi needs to get their shit together with the diesel.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
386 Posts
Even if the EPA is the holdup, I still think it comes back to Chrysler/Jeep execs not having their ducks in a row, which other SUV companies seem to be able to do without all the drama from Jeep.

The VW Touareg TDI, the Porsche Cayenne Diesel and the Mercedes ML350 BlueTec all have similar diesel engines, 8-speed transmissions and emissions control technology to the Jeep GC CRD. Those other SUV's have EPA certification---the current VW Treg model since 2011. It shouldn't be an excuse from Jeep to not be able to get it right for EPA certification, IF that is part of the holdup.

Just saying...
Agree Jeep definitely needed to manage the red tape if that is the hold up.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Thanks for the info particularly that the 3.2 has its own line. Do wonder why not flex-fuel, maybe because where E85 is available it is more expensive than 87 PON.

Personally I do not find it particularly U-gley, more "form follows function" & if those headlights provide as much light as my Silverstars it is more aerodynamic.

Looking over the brochure there are a number of things that look good. In '12 I tested all models before buying my WK2 it was because it felt better than any of the smaller cars (AFAIR the '12 Liberty felt "tinny" particularly when closing doors). Also when I take trips have been known to put 1,000 miles into a day even when towing.

Biggest compaint about my '12 is that it is about 2" too high even with side steps & is hard for height impaired LF to climb in.

So when the '14 Cherokee comes out, I'll probably take a close look particularly at the specs, 4500 lbs towing capacity is enough for me & 3800 lbs is appealing.

Unfortunately the specs I found do not include ground clearance other than the Trailhawk has an inch more.

If the diesel had been available on the Laredo in '12, I would have bought one. Today the whole package required does not make sense to me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What worries me about the EPA certification is what Jeep is going to have to do to the tune in order to pass.

The engineers designed the motor with performance, fuel economy, and low emissions in mind. If they need to dink with it so much that they're delaying release, then it's possible the tune will sacrifice performance or fuel economy in the name of emissions.

Hopefully we'll be able to get a nice ECU tune that won't clog up the DPF too badly in short order once they actually release the damned thing. I would have jumped ship by now, but I can't find anything else I want to buy.

41 - 60 of 8648 Posts