Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
They way these things are running now, they shouldn't even be selling them. Let alone charging thousands more for them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi. Is there some reason you can't fit a catch can?
A catch can only intercepts the oil blow by from the crank case at the CCV hose. The issue with the Ecodiesel is the Soot that is pumped into the intake manifold by the EGR valve on the passenger side.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So the next time I go to Canada I could get it done. I have an extended warranty, 8 years or 120,000 mi. Do you know if that would void that warranty?
Absolutely. It states that in your owners manual. Also, the dealer can see if you have flashed the computer, even if you have flashed the OEM calibration before you went to the dealer. Some dealers are more lenient than other on aftermarket modifications and voiding you warranty. They are not however lenient even 1% when it comet to emissions related modifications. If you want your warranty, leave it 100% stock

·
Registered
33 Posts
Absolutely. It states that in your owners manual. Also, the dealer can see if you have flashed the computer, even if you have flashed the OEM calibration before you went to the dealer. Some dealers are more lenient than other on aftermarket modifications and voiding you warranty. They are not however lenient even 1% when it comet to emissions related modifications. If you want your warranty, leave it 100% stock
Thanks. As others have mentioned I love my GC except for the emissions problem. I looked into trading it in for the same with the six cylinder engine but can’t get anything for trade-in. Everyone knows the problem we’re having.
i understand that the 2020 has a redesigned engine that is supposed to fix the problem. I also have a vehicle with a Cummins engine, no problem with it. It also has a setting that you can easily regin yourself although I’ve never had to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks. As others have mentioned I love my GC except for the emissions problem. I looked into trading it in for the same with the six cylinder engine but can’t get anything for trade-in. Everyone knows the problem we’re having.
i understand that the 2020 has a redesigned engine that is supposed to fix the problem. I also have a vehicle with a Cummins engine, no problem with it. It also has a setting that you can easily regin yourself although I’ve never had to.
Get the AlphOBD app and you can do a regen yourself also. and a lot of other functions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get the AlphOBD app and you can do a regen yourself also. and a lot of other functions.
Thanks. Looks like I’ll have to get a Windows or Android device, I have Apple products.
is there a particular interface you would recommend. I have no interest in doing any more than the regen to my GC. I’m tired of paying $300 to get that done at the dealership.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks. Looks like I’ll have to get a Windows or Android device, I have Apple products.
is there a particular interface you would recommend. I have no interest in doing any more than the regen to my GC. I’m tired of paying $300 to get that done at the dealership.
Any Android tablet with Bluetooth will work. Or you can get a cheap Android Phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My bought new GC had an exhaust burn off issue from the get go.....take it into dealer and they 'burn off' the buildup in the DPF .....now that its off warranty they want insane money to do that. My independant mechanic has shown me the carbon buildup from the EGR tube and into the intake manifold.....its unbelievable....diesel intakes were not designed to burn off secondary exhaust and all the extra plumbing they put on this engine simply does not work. So people do diesel delete and in fact the chrysler dealer told me, on the qt, to do just that. Chrysler needs its feet held to the fire over these engines and i see a recall over coolant backing up into the engine which is related to this carbon buildup problem. Would appreciate any comments if you have had similar experiences.
these 2014-2017 jeep diesels are all covered by the FCA recall and it features an extended warranty for all the diesel emission components and more, with no deductible. i really don't understand any of the threads here. these diesels are ALL warranted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
these 2014-2017 jeep diesels are all covered by the FCA recall and it features an extended warranty for all the diesel emission components and more, with no deductible. i really don't understand any of the threads here. these diesels are ALL warranted.
You mean except for all the ones that are modified right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
you apparently do not own an ECO diesel. My issue is often having to make an appointment then bring it to a dealership to get a regeneration. I’ve had this happen within 2 days of returning from a 200 mile highway trip. And no, warranty does not cover this, neither my extended warranty or the recall warranty

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you're having to take your vehicle in for a regeneration repeatedly, something is wrong. Why isn't your dealership doing a proper diagnosis to figure out what isn't working properly? Anything emissions related is covered provided you've had the AEM recall performed.

Are you getting a CEL or other dash lights? Any stored codes?

Reactions: bigmaho

·
Registered
21 Posts
My bought new GC had an exhaust burn off issue from the get go.....take it into dealer and they 'burn off' the buildup in the DPF .....now that its off warranty they want insane money to do that. My independant mechanic has shown me the carbon buildup from the EGR tube and into the intake manifold.....its unbelievable....diesel intakes were not designed to burn off secondary exhaust and all the extra plumbing they put on this engine simply does not work. So people do diesel delete and in fact the chrysler dealer told me, on the qt, to do just that. Chrysler needs its feet held to the fire over these engines and i see a recall over coolant backing up into the engine which is related to this carbon buildup problem. Would appreciate any comments if you have had similar experiences.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you apparently do not own an ECO diesel. My issue is often having to make an appointment then bring it to a dealership to get a regeneration. I’ve had this happen within 2 days of returning from a 200 mile highway trip. And no, warranty does not cover this, neither my extended warranty or the recall warranty

Warranty on the ECO AEM or V08 recall doesn't cover the DEF filter. Trust me. Just did battle with FCA over it. I'd like to hear from a certified ECO diesel mechanic if the cleaning process at $230 is really necessary when the dash message said "filter nearing full keep driving to regenerate, etc..". It happened to come up just as I was taking the Jeep to the dealer for an 80k service. What a coincidence. And right after I'd had two trips at highway speed for 60+ miles each way. They told me that I could do what I have done in the past when this happened and drive it at speed until the message cleared but it would only partially empty the filter. It's always worked in the past and I've never gotten a notice that the filter was 100% full or lost power except when we first got the Jeep and they had to replace the converter, etc. under warranty. I've never let it run out of fluid. How much of this is BS on the need for the cleaning and if this is going to be the norm in the future

·
Registered
63 Posts
The below came straight from my AEM Extended Warranty.

Catalysts
o Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly

·
Registered
57 Posts
DPF Filter is the first item listed as being covered as part of the extended warranty. It doesn't seem like yours is faulty though as the "filter nearing full, keep driving to regenerate" is a normal message. It takes roughly 10 mins to go through the regeneration process. It happens at least once per tank full of fuel.

Your dealer is clueless if they are telling you that they need to clean it when you get that "nearing full" message. I'd actually like to see how they would even clean it themselves other than forcing a manual regen.

Now if you get the 100% full message, that's a dealer visit for sure or delete time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First post, welcome to the forum.

All these engines have excessive carbon deposits in the intake manifold due to a very dirty stock combustion cycle. Many will throw a code for the swirl valves between 100k and 150k because the valves no longer move due to carbon buildup. This requires the intake manifold be replaced.

There are two answers. Stage 1 tune early in the engines life to prevent the buildup, or a stage 2 tune later to remove the DPF and tune out the swirl valves.

If I were you, I'd delete the DPF and enjoy the Jeep for a long time to come.
Love to do a diesel delete but those of us fortunate enough to live in the totalitarian state of California would not be able to get it reregistered when due. The smog test wouldn't pass on equipment inspection.
DPF Filter is the first item listed as being covered as part of the extended warranty. It doesn't seem like yours is faulty though as the "filter nearing full, keep driving to regenerate" is a normal message. It takes roughly 10 mins to go through the regeneration process. It happens at least once per tank full of fuel.

Your dealer is clueless if they are telling you that they need to clean it when you get that "nearing full" message. I'd actually like to see how they would even clean it themselves other than forcing a manual regen.

Now if you get the 100% full message, that's a dealer visit for sure or delete time. View attachment 225165
Can't do a delete in California and the dealer claims they use a chemical in the "cleaning process". I'm going back to the FCA as I have the same document you show here but I have a hunch there is some issue related to the original mileage warranty and this extension which has expired on my Jeep 2014 Grand Cherokee. Stay tuned.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts