Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't disagree that the DPF is not faulty but the question is, does the extended warranty which the Jeep website says: "The Extended Warranty covers all parts and systems affected by the Approved Emissions Modification, and the warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first The Extended Warranty covers all parts and systems affected by the Approved Emissions Modification, and the warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first" cover the regen process they charged $230 me for? The FCA people just read whatever document they can find and the last one said, (after I directed her to the right spot on the website) the DPF was covered but nothing says anything about the regen process being covered. I'm back to doing battle with the dealer now.

The other thing that concerns me is that from comments pictures I'm getting like the one above that these engines are only good for 100k miles before the intake manifold soot buildup from the DEF fluid gums up the engine to the point it hardly runs and no longer is cleaned by the auto regen or manual process and needs major repairs for big bucks. I paid a lot of money for this vehicle and this engine because diesels are supposed to run forever. None of the current info was revealed at the time. And my understanding is that it's true of any of the newer diesels with the EPA mandated emissions control system. Delete would be wonderful if you can get away with it.

So I guess I have to go back to gasoline and live the joys of ethanol. I get it. Go electric or we'll leave you on foot.

·
Registered
2015 4X4 diesel JGC Limited
39 Posts
Don't disagree that the DPF is not faulty but the question is, does the extended warranty which the Jeep website says: "The Extended Warranty covers all parts and systems affected by the Approved Emissions Modification, and the warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first The Extended Warranty covers all parts and systems affected by the Approved Emissions Modification, and the warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first" cover the regen process they charged $230 me for? The FCA people just read whatever document they can find and the last one said, (after I directed her to the right spot on the website) the DPF was covered but nothing says anything about the regen process being covered. I'm back to doing battle with the dealer now.

The other thing that concerns me is that from comments pictures I'm getting like the one above that these engines are only good for 100k miles before the intake manifold soot buildup from the DEF fluid gums up the engine to the point it hardly runs and no longer is cleaned by the auto regen or manual process and needs major repairs for big bucks. I paid a lot of money for this vehicle and this engine because diesels are supposed to run forever. None of the current info was revealed at the time. And my understanding is that it's true of any of the newer diesels with the EPA mandated emissions control system. Delete would be wonderful if you can get away with it.

So I guess I have to go back to gasoline and live the joys of ethanol. I get it. Go electric or we'll leave you on foot.
[/
I’m intend to get the equipment and app to do the regeneration myself. I’ve ordered an Android device and will get the rest. I hope the app comes with clear instructions or I’ll be back on this board begging for help 😟

·
Registered
39 Posts
You also need a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. ELM 327.
I’ve purchased the equipment and app you suggested. Now what? No instructions came with any of it and I hate to start experimenting and screw up my GC.
Do you know where I can get instructions on how to clear the exhaust soot problem rather than taking it to the dealership?
As you seem to have the knowledge, I would appreciate your help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’ve purchased the equipment and app you suggested. Now what? No instructions came with any of it and I hate to start experimenting and screw up my GC.
Do you know where I can get instructions on how to clear the exhaust soot problem rather than taking it to the dealership?
As you seem to have the knowledge, I would appreciate your help.
Sure thing.

open the app, and connect it to your bluetooth device. Key on, engine running for regen. Select from the drop downs, Grand cherokee (WK2) MY2011>
From the second drop down select Engine- this is for the module you want
Select from the 3rd drop down that says "Select Control Unit" Diesel Bosch EDC17C49. (Unless yours is a 2013, then select the appropriate tab

Once the app confirms that you are connected to the bluetooth dongle, Select the little tab of the Fiat 500 with the hood open (3rd tab over)
open the drop down that says "select procedure to start"
scroll down to "Particulate filter regeneration" the press start.

Vehicle must be warmed up (over 140 degrees F)
Vehicle must be in park
Vehicle must have parking brake set
Do not touch the gas pedal

Once the procedure starts, the engine will raise RPM to 2000, then to 2500. Once the procedure is complete, you will hear the engine speed return to idle. Let the engine idle for a couple minutes before you shut it off, so that the oil and coolant entering the turbo can cool down a bit.

You can also look at your particulate filter soot content.

Select the wavelength tab (next to the Fiat 500 tab) The select the "gauges to scan" drop down
Scroll down to "Percentage of Soot Mass,%
check the box then press ok,
Press the large red arrow for live data (engine running)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sure thing.

open the app, and connect it to your bluetooth device. Key on, engine running for regen. Select from the drop downs, Grand cherokee (WK2) MY2011>
Select from the 3rd drop down that says "Select Control Unit" Diesel Bosch EDC17C49. (Unless yours is a 2013, then select the appropriate tab

Once the app confirms that you are connected to the bluetooth dongle, Select the little tab of the Fiat 500 with the hood open (3rd tab over)

Vehicle must be in park

Once the procedure starts, the engine will raise RPM to 2000, then to 2500. Once the procedure is complete, you will hear the engine speed return to idle. Let the engine idle for a couple minutes before you shut it off, so that the oil and coolant entering the turbo can cool down a bit.

Select the wavelength tab (next to the Fiat 500 tab) The select the "gauges to scan" drop down
Thanks a bunch. I check the soot tomorrow. I assume i need to plug it in before i start the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just leave mine plugged in all the time.
Thanks a bunch
your guidance and instructions were perfect.
I ran a desoot today. Soot Mass went from 79.6% to 9.8% in about 15 minutes. My out of pocket cost $96.33. About 1/3 the cost of one dealership regen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sure thing.

Vehicle must be in park

So to be clear, the dongle that comes with the vehicle won't work with the ap and you have to get a different one?
Thanks a bunch
I ran a desoot today. Soot Mass went from 79.6% to 9.8% in about 15 minutes. My out of pocket cost $96.33. About 1/3 the cost of one dealership regen
Did you run the desoot because you had a warning message or just because you wanted to?

·
Registered
39 Posts
So to be clear, the dongle that comes with the vehicle won't work with the ap and you have to get a different one?

Did you run the desoot because you had a warning message or just because you wanted to?
No warning message. I wanted to be sure I could when I needed to So I checked the %full and decided to run it.
i don’t understand your question about the dongle. I assume you’re talking about the interface that connects Bluetooth with my Android device, I purchased the connector you recommended from Amazon

·
Registered
39 Posts

My mistake: the equipment that DY78 recommended

·
Registered
21 Posts
No warning message. I wanted to be sure I could when I needed to So I checked the %full and decided to run it.
i don’t understand your question about the dongle. I assume you’re talking about the interface that connects Bluetooth with my Android device, I purchased the connector you recommended from Amazon
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't the one who recommended the DYI technique. Someone else did and I was just trying to get clarification on what was required. Glad this worked out. I'm going to look into it too. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't the one who recommended the DYI technique. Someone else did and I was just trying to get clarification on what was required. Glad this worked out. I'm going to look into it too. Thanks
To be more specific, the Bluetooth OBDII Dongle. This is a Bluetooth device that plugs directly in to the OBDII port that allows a direct interface with the Modules in the vehicle such as PCM (Engine), Body Control Module, HVAC control Module, Lighting control Module and so on.

Something like this:

Amazon.com: obdator Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner ELM327 Automotive OBD OBDII Code Reader Car Check Engine Light Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android PC: Automotive

I have always used the cheap one like this and never hand any issues, but Alpha OBD recommends you use the "Better" version such as :

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks a bunch
Glad it worked for you. Alpha OBD can do all sorts of cool things beside the DPF regen, but that feature alone makes it worth the money. Any time you can avoid the suck festival that is the dealership, is a win in my book.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad it worked for you. Alpha OBD can do all sorts of cool things beside the DPF regen, but that feature alone makes it worth the money. Any time you can avoid the suck festival that is the dealership, is a win in my book.
Did I miss a step? Check engine light is on this morning after my de-soot yesterday. I am going to try to download all the various functions and normal parameters of the selection that the Alpha OBD offers

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did I miss a step? Check engine light is on this morning after my de-soot yesterday. I am going to try to download all the various functions and normal parameters of the selection that the Alpha OBD offers
What is the Code?

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is the Code?
Thanks for your quick resp.
I have been reading online at the ALFA OBD site to try to figure out what to do to check the error code...not much help.
I connected to my Jeep and selected the engine symbol. I read confirmed faults:
U029D
U029E
The check engine light is no longer on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Both are communication errors for the NOx sensor. It may be that the PCM shuts down the NOx sensor during the regen process

·
Registered
39 Posts
Both are communication errors for the NOx sensor. It may be that the PCM shuts down the NOx sensor during the regen process
I guess that’s why the engine light went off.
how could I get a listing of definitions of these error codes?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts