Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
GSX-R 1K / GCherokee
412 Posts
I'm getting diesel odors in the cabin, so I will push to get the charcoal replacement from FCA on the their TSB...But I still don't think this will solve my issue...maybe it will limit the smell, but, why is there a smell to start with!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks. I already unsnapped the string. Alarmed me because it recoiled back into the darkness. Should it be retrieveable if I ever get the box loose?

I thought of trying channellocks or a small crow bar but haven't tried them yet.
I replaced one myself and found it was really difficult to remove storage compartment - I was afraid I would break it. Next time I will just ask dealer to do this.

·
Registered
Latitude X
928 Posts
Did they change the design of the glove box for 2014?

On my 2012, I just open the glove box, pull the owner's manual package off the little 'shelf' and then give a good yank outwards on the shelf.

It pops out and exposes the door for the cabin filter.

Pop open the door (latch on one side, hinge on the other) and take out the old and put in the new.

Then use a flashlight to align the shelf with the holes for the tabs on the rear and give it a good shove to push the tabs back in.

Takes about 5 minutes (taking my time).
I just change them out every July (after pollen season).

My wife's RAV takes a few minutes longer because I have to disconnect the rod on the right side that slows the 'drop' of the glove box door so that the glove box will drop all the way down to expose the filter door.

I've been using generic filters (TYC 800161P) from Amazon, but these charcoal units by ATP (TA-10) look promising. There's a tannery off the highway when we head east to Woodbury and wow does it stink! I usually try to remember to hit the recirc before we get to that area, maybe the charcoal filter would help without having to remember recirc.

·
Registered
2014 Wk2 Limited
75 Posts
Nope 2014 is the same, just pull out the manual tray above the glove box.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
535 Posts
I replaced mine today using Todd's method and it was very easy. If I'd done it that way earlier, I wouldn't have 'lost' the recoil string.

I did use the ATP filter from Amazon. Email ordered it Friday the 6th and it was on my doorstep before noon today, thanks to Amazon Prime and the USPS.

Dan

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Are you guys disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery or is this not required when pulling the tray in the glove box?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not required Pete. No electrical items involved.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
Wix Charcoal Filter for $10,38 at RockAuto.com.
I have it in my WK2 now.....

WIX 24017XP New design with PUR-AIR technology

21 - 31 of 31 Posts