Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....my Grand Cherokee when I apply the break it feels clunky when downshifting to lower gears. Has anybody experience this?

I took it to mechanic and the said the engine mounts were worn out, however; I am not sure that may be it....it feel more like a transmission issue.

Any thoughts would help.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,563 Posts
Hello All....my Grand Cherokee when I apply the break it feels clunky when downshifting to lower gears. Has anybody experience this?

I took it to mechanic and the said the engine mounts were worn out, however; I am not sure that may be it....it feel more like a transmission issue.

Any thoughts would help.
If you have a 2014 V8 with normal mileage the odds are high your motor mounts need replacing. I'm not sure that would make it feel clunking downshifting though. When mine were leaking it didn't change how it shifted up or down, it just allowed some vibration to come thru at idle and it let me just barely feel the MDS when it was on. I would think same as you that the problem is something more to do with the transmission. What? No help there.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
Bad engine mounts will let the drivetrain rotate too much with torque changes, downshifting is one of those things that would be much rougher with worn out mounts.

You can test the engine mounts by watching the engine while someone holds the brakes and gives it gas while in gear, and do it in reverse to watch it rotate the opposite direction.
Siting in driver's seat, with the hood open, you can peek under the hood and see the top of the engine.
Good motor mounts the engine will only rotate a 1/2" at most. If the engine is rotating more than an inch, your mounts are bad.

·
Registered
JGC
443 Posts
Start with your mounts if you have the Hemi. Both mine were shot and swapped out at 99K ... probably should have done it sooner. If you find they're bad using Mongo's test, start with replacing them and see if the that doesn't fix the issue. If not, then on to the next step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start with your mounts if you have the Hemi. Both mine were shot and swapped out at 99K ... probably should have done it sooner. If you find they're bad using Mongo's test, start with replacing them and see if the that doesn't fix the issue. If not, then on to the next step.
Thanks!! It was the motor mounts. The car does have 100K miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was Motor Mounts. Thanks! It's at 100K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea it was the motor mounts. Thanks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts