·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
I get the feeling that Jeep management has something backward. Production should be telling sales when a product will be released. It seems that sales is in charge, and here we come, ready or not. On this product and the GC diesel, Jeep does not come across as a professionally run organization. Sergio should be embarrassed.

---

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. Sales numbers on their end do not concern me. I want to know when production opens. People are likely in showrooms asking about them and dealers have no info other than "third quarter" and with Chrysler saying September - November, we're really talking fourth quarter.

I would consider this the second delay since they're already on record as saying production was to open today. (via Detroit Free Press)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I get the feeling that Jeep management has something backward. Production should be telling sales when a product will be released. It seems that sales is in charge, and here we come, ready or not. On this product and the GC diesel, Jeep does not come across as a professionally run organization. Sergio should be embarrassed.

---
I don't think this is the case at all. The new Cherokee was first supposed to launch in May and then it was delayed until June and then sometime in the 3rd quarter. This is because of issues they are still working out and if its still not ready it could be delayed even more who knows. This sure isn't sales doing this if it was it would already be on the road. He was just stating when they expect it in showrooms.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's best to work things out instead of releasing an unfinished product. I look at the 2014 GC and they unnecessarily rushed it out the door. It has big time electrical architecture issues and the diesel is nowhere to be found. I'm hoping Jeep learned from the 2014 GC and is thus working hard to make the 2014 Cherokee perfect.

·
Registered
2011 Cherokee Latitu
262 Posts
It's best to work things out instead of releasing an unfinished product. I look at the 2014 GC and they unnecessarily rushed it out the door. It has big time electrical architecture issues and the diesel is nowhere to be found. I'm hoping Jeep learned from the 2014 GC and is thus working hard to make the 2014 Cherokee perfect.
I agree 100%. BUT don't even talk about release dates until you are sure it is ready. This constantly changing the dates makes them look foolish.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I agree that they should release a finalized product, Jeep has been retooling the Toledo factory since August of last year. They have had a Liberty replacement on the books for over three years. Maybe I simply don't understand the complexity of it all, but three years of development and a year for the factory should be enough time to get things right. Just my $0.02. :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Washington Post reported that Chrysler says the production delay story is not true and that they are beginning production as previously announced.
Link?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
While I agree that they should release a finalized product, Jeep has been retooling the Toledo factory since August of last year. They have had a Liberty replacement on the books for over three years. Maybe I simply don't understand the complexity of it all, but three years of development and a year for the factory should be enough time to get things right. Just my $0.02. :confused:

What do you base this on? 3 years is pretty quick for an all new vehicle in a completely revamped plant. I'm just wondering if your comments are based on some type of experience in this field or just on nothing?

·
Registered
JK
439 Posts
Chrysler Says Jeep Cherokee Launch on Track - Kicking Tires - The Washington Post

and roger... if they are now in production they have done a great job. To compete with Honda and Toyota in this segment they need the quality to be sky high. If they pump a bunch of these things out and word gets on the street that the 9 speed is having big problems, fit/finish is not good blah blah blah it will be DOA.

Now if you love you traditional JK style wrangler you better hope this Cherokee is a red hot seller or the future JK is in the CAFE rules "mud hole".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chrysler Says Jeep Cherokee Launch on Track - Kicking Tires - The Washington Post

and roger... if they are now in production they have done a great job. To compete with Honda and Toyota in this segment they need the quality to be sky high. If they pump a bunch of these things out and word gets on the street that the 9 speed is having big problems, fit/finish is not good blah blah blah it will be DOA.

Now if you love you traditional JK style wrangler you better hope this Cherokee is a red hot seller or the future JK is in the CAFE rules "mud hole".
Thank you for the link. While I do not disagree with the body of the article, they're really just forming their previous statements to fit the current mold. Vehicles are in production, but not retail units. They're building pilot cars. Ordering is not open for any dealer I'm aware of so no retail units are shipping. With an average 8 - 10 week ramp up after pilots are signed off on, we're looking at late August for retail orders and September-ish for sales. While I don't negate September 30th is still third quarter, we all know they were hoping for the Cherokee to be in customers drive ways by July.

·
Registered
JK
439 Posts
I am sure you have read between the lines very well.

I guess on a resume, to be a public relations hack, a person must demonstrate the ability to "craft the message".

I certainly want to test drive a Trailhawk. On paper it has the makings of a very nice vehicle. Some of the class leading tech offerings with a panoramic sunroof or skyslider will definitely make it unique.

Since I have an 08 JKU stick shift dirt slinger, my next Jeep can be more civilized.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I saw one of these on the road today with "manufacturer plates" on the back. It was black with a driver and passenger. Good news it wasn't broken down on the side of the road.

I'll try and get pics up in a day or two.

By the way, I live in Minnesota and I was about 45 minutes northwest of Minneapolis.

·
Registered
70 Posts

---

I get the opposite feeling. Production says it's not ready, sales has to wait. It's a shame to have to wait and delay the launch, but can you blame them? A company creates a timeline based on certain expectations, then when obstacles get in the way they have two choices. Launch before ready, or delay. If I were making the decisions for Chrysler, I would do exactly what they have done in pursuit of releasing the best possible product.

"Bigland said Chrysler's decision not to launch the Cherokee until it was ready is a sign that the company has changed."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.