Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 96,000 miles , I want to do the oil change on it but idk what oil to use and if I’m still suppose to use 5w20 oil or different ? Can someone please help me out .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 96,000 miles , I want to do the oil change on it but idk what oil to use and if I’m still suppose to use 5w20 oil or different ? Can someone please help me out .
Welcome. IMHO your warranty is over, and I would move up to a 5-30 synthetic. If you want and you live where it's hot most of the year go to a 10-30. Also I would use a high mileage oil. I have an older SUV and this is what I did, with no change in oil pressure, temp or mileage. Just use a good product such as M1, Pennzoil, Valvoline or what I am using which is Shell Rotella for gas truck and SUV. It is 5-30 and I got it on Amazon. Also at Walmart.

·
Registered
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. IMHO your warranty is over, and I would move up to a 5-30 synthetic. If you want and you live where it's hot most of the year go to a 10-30. Also I would use a high mileage oil. I have an older SUV and this is what I did, with no change in oil pressure, temp or mileage. Just use a good product such as M1, Pennzoil, Valvoline or what I am using which is Shell Rotella for gas truck and SUV. It is 5-30 and I got it on Amazon. Also at Walmart.
thanks a lot for the advise !! I actually was thinking of getting mobile1 10w30 , I live in California so most of the year it’s always hit. So I believe I should go with 10w30.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,307 Posts
Jeep specifically warns against the use of anything other than the 5W20 in these vehicles because any other weight messes up the MDS system calibration. I'd suggest listening to the people who designed it. If you want to maximize oil quality use your favorite synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2014 Limited, 3.6L
48 Posts
Not clear why you'd stray from the manufacturer recommended oil weights. The manual doesn't say anything about changing specs as the vehicle ages.

The manual for my 2014 3.6L says use 5W20, or if that's not available, use 5W30. The manual also mentions for the Hemi, use only 5W20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts