Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
$166 for an oil change (at 2800 miles) and the tech at the dealer didn't reset my indicator...

AND had no idea how to... Had to look it up for them. I think I will be doing my own oil changes go forward.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Hope they at least used synthetic! The reset procedure is also on p.295 of the owner's manual.
I made them repeat to me three times they would use the ultra low ash full synthetic... My faith however is weak. :(

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Just had my first oil change, and the indicator was not reset. After attempting the procedure multiple times, I'm beginning to think that it was not an accident - this puppy just will not reset! I am:

1) switching to RUN (2 button pushes) without brake pedal
2) Pressing Accelerator pedal ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR 3 times (I have waited until the car has "booted" before doing this, as well as doing this right away. I have done it 3 times in 2 seconds, as well as once every 2 seconds.)
3) pushing the button again to shut down.

No luck - still at 0% life. I even tried the export diesel reset option found over on wk2jeeps - 30 seconds of Accelerator and then add 6 brake pedal taps. Nada.

Any ideas? Am I just missing something completely simple?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Perhaps you're pressing the accelerator too fast, the manual says:

Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times​
within 10 seconds.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Still no luck - push pedal fast, or REALLLLLLY slow (but still within 10 second window), no reset.

Didn't want to take back to dealer, but may not have a choice. It's not that the oil life countdown is so critically important, its the reminder every time I power on that will drive me nuts...

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Edited because you're right Jacko. It didn't sound right to me at the time but in too much of a rush to get further explanation and it did cross my mind immediately about the folk that change their oil themselves.

Upsidedown vehicle - not a problem. Upsidedown dealership - perhaps :D Although they are usually pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Your dealer's blowing smoke. The owner's manual has the procedure spelled out for those that change their own oil. You don't need to have a dealer do anything. They can reset it with their "console", or manually as described in the owner's manual. If done exactly as the owner's manual prescribes, it works every time.

edit: Looked at your location, and maybe it doesn't work that way if your vehicle is upside down, with the steering wheel is on the wrong side. :eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got back from dealer and my oil life was not reset. The call to them gave me the same instructions as above. Tried many times with no luck.

Dealer called back again and said that they tried it on a vehicle they had there. He said it took him about 8 tries before it worked.

Will try again tomorrow.

Mine is a diesel but that shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
GC Overland
134 Posts
I just did an oil change, the 3-pump method worked for me on the 2nd try.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got back from dealer and my oil life was not reset. The call to them gave me the same instructions as above. Tried many times with no luck.

Dealer called back again and said that they tried it on a vehicle they had there. He said it took him about 8 tries before it worked.

Will try again tomorrow.

Mine is a diesel but that shouldn't matter.
Tried again the next day and it worked first time.

As far as I can tell, I did the same thing but somehow it took this time.

For those of you where it doesn't work, keep trying.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Even the owner's manual says you may need to repeat the procedure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.