Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 jgc overland v8. I drive my wife's car all weekend. I park my jeep on Friday night and Monday when I go to start it it won't start. I have to stand outside the truck and remote start it to get it started for the rest of the week it starts every time.

Anyone else having this trouble? Weird!?!?! This has happened two weekends in a row. I am anticipating tomorrow morning to see if I can make it happen three weeks in a row. Ironically I do take it to the car wash as my last act of duty on Friday night before I park it. Not sure if there is any correlation.

·
Registered
'10 Nissan Maxima SV
353 Posts
I have a 2014 jgc overland v8. I drive my wife's car all weekend. I park my jeep on Friday night and Monday when I go to start it it won't start. I have to stand outside the truck and remote start it to get it started for the rest of the week it starts every time.

Anyone else having this trouble? Weird!?!?! This has happened two weekends in a row. I am anticipating tomorrow morning to see if I can make it happen three weeks in a row. Ironically I do take it to the car wash as my last act of duty on Friday night before I park it. Not sure if there is any correlation.
Have you contacted the dealer? Check the battery and connection? There is another where someone reported their MY14 dying as we'll-I suggest searching for it as I don't remember. But it being a new vehicle and under warranty, I would contact the dealer.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
Check the grounding wire...I believe Milous or Scott has stated where it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But if its grounding wire wouldn't it happen every time? And why is it only after sitting for 2 or 3 days? And my remote starter works? Dealer looked at me and laughed. No loaner car so this is goons be a real PIA to figure out.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
But if its grounding wire wouldn't it happen every time? And why is it only after sitting for 2 or 3 days? And my remote starter works? Dealer looked at me and laughed. No loaner car so this is goons be a real PIA to figure out.
You're right. It doesn't sound like a ground or battery connection.

What exactly happens when you push the dash mounted start button? Does the starter crank the engine or nothing happens at all?

Is it possible the brake pedal is firm after sitting for a couple days and you are not pressing hard enough on it while pressing the start button?

·
Registered
'10 Nissan Maxima SV
353 Posts
Check the grounding wire...I believe Milous or Scott has stated where it is.
I think Milous said there was a TSB for it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dash turns on, but the engine won't make a sound.

How do I look up tsb's?

Thanks for the info, this could save me a lot of time and rental dollars. It's amazing, the dealers know squat compared to what I know from being on this message board.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
I wonder if it is the electric brake switch that is bad? I know Hyundai cars have had the problem and my wife's had the issue. Sometimes it would works and stops not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also something to note the garage that I park in is heated and kept at 65 degrees.... I'll push hard on the break tomorrow if it happens.

I'm soooo ready for this to happen tomorrow. You Watch. It will start right up. Ha.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Have a smartphone in the same pocket as your key fob by chance?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you try sending the UConnect signal to start the engine from a smartphone? That should bypass any problem with the pedal.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,883 Posts
Did you try sending the UConnect signal to start the engine from a smartphone? That should bypass any problem with the pedal.
Original post states remote start works. I think he means with the fob. If so, that works faster than smart phone.

I wonder, doubt, I would have even thought about trying the remote start. I'll remember it now, so Thanks Nat

--

·
Registered
181 Posts
Whoops, totally missed the part where the fob works.. lol. Gotta start reading the whole thread before I post.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
A lot depends on what the display is saying when he pushes the button. Have you tried removing the button and using te fobik as a key ?

Still could be a loose (resistive) connection somewhere that needs a full 13v to work. Sits a few days, battery drops to 12v, that circuit doesnot work.

If here I'd connect a battery load tester (about 100A sounds good, any dealer should have one) and see what happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. So here is the result of my Monday morning start

It did NOT start BUT the brake pedal was very very firm. I pressed it, and hit the ignition button to start, and nothing BUT then someone mentioned something about a brake pedal issue. I pressed it HARD and the brake pedal finally released to the floor and WHAMO. IT STARTED.

I never thought about the pedal. When it didnt start I ALWAYS had my foot on it enough to know that my foot was on it and it moved probably 3/4" so I always figured good enough. This morning I pressed hard enough to feel like I actually broke the pedal, Iike someone actually hot glued the pedal in place and I had to press hard enough to break the glue. Once that "glue" was broken the pedal went down like normal and it started right up. I Do not have that problem during the week when I use it every day.

After sitting for a few days its like the pedal freezes. Now I know, And not for nothing my dealer would have been no help on this one,

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A lot depends on what the display is saying when he pushes the button. Have you tried removing the button and using te fobik as a key ?

Still could be a loose (resistive) connection somewhere that needs a full 13v to work. Sits a few days, battery drops to 12v, that circuit doesnot work.

If here I'd connect a battery load tester (about 100A sounds good, any dealer should have one) and see what happens.
Seems to me that when I would check the battery voltage at the terminals under the hood on my previous 2012 Overland and now on my 2014 Summit, I get a reading of 12.8 volts

The only way I think the reading would be 13 volts is at engine shutdown or shortly thereafter.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,883 Posts

Removing the button on a '14 is very bad advice. It's not removable.

---

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
How do you start a '14 when the fobik battery is ded then ? This does not say much "Use the Fob with Integrated Key to briefly turn the ignition switch to the START position"

BTW I see that you still cannot turn the engine off if stopped and the car does not recognise being in PARK: "This vehicle is equipped with a Key Ignition Park Interlock which requires the transmission to be in PARK before the engine can be turned off. This helps the driver avoid inadvertently leaving the vehicle without placing the transmission in PARK."

This is a bad thing ? The V6 is quiet and smooth enough at idle that many people would not realize it is still running particularly where the shifter position does not change. Bet someone is going to move the shifter insufficiently, press the button, & step out. At least with my '12 I can see it is in PARK by looking at the shifter.​

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,883 Posts
You press the button using one end of the fob. I forget which end, but it activates the button.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts