Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 JGC Overland and was at the dealer checking out the 2014's the other day. I noticed that the brake light housing appears to be the same size at rear of the vehicle (obvisouly not the tailgate portion). I am referring to the body half of the rear lamp assembly. I want to know if I could buy the 2014 LED brake body half lamp assembly and swap it into my 2011 JGC. I know I would have to keep the tailgate section the same due to the redesign of the tailgate.

Thoughts?? I'm assuming it would be a simple swap out plug and play... but I dont know if the connectors are the same or if the voltage would be the same...

Thanks in advance for your input...

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts
the 14'+ uses a completey different electrical system...Powernet. I seriously doubt its even possible

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I know the 2014's have a new type of electrical system, whatever that means. And I bet the connectors for the lights are different.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts
but ya NEVER know...so give it a shot. maybe you could meet up with another local member and give it a shot?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea... I know a few people at my local dealer. I'll take it over there soon and do a quick swap to see if it works.

I'll let everyone know.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I have a 2011 JGC Overland and was at the dealer checking out the 2014's the other day. I noticed that the brake light housing appears to be the same size at rear of the vehicle (obvisouly not the tailgate portion). I am referring to the body half of the rear lamp assembly. I want to know if I could buy the 2014 LED brake body half lamp assembly and swap it into my 2011 JGC. I know I would have to keep the tailgate section the same due to the redesign of the tailgate.

Thoughts?? I'm assuming it would be a simple swap out plug and play... but I dont know if the connectors are the same or if the voltage would be the same...

Thanks in advance for your input...
If you go and they cooperate please take pics.

If the. Overall shape of the tail gate hasn't changed then I have a theory on how it would be possible to retro fit the 2014 taillights to the 2011 - 2013.

But I will say this I don't think just doing the outside taillight would look good. Since the style is so different.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts
I have a 14' SRt and 13' taillamps left from my 13' SRT. Ill put this topic to rest real quick.....

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts
sorry....the new 14' lamps only have one plug for the entire lamp(hatch lamp anyway) The 11-13' had a plug/bulb for each function. Its not a straight swap whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If I had a 11-13 WK2, I really wouldn't bother to try and retrofit the 2014 taillights since Jeep took the cheap route and only made the running lights LED. I mean really, how much more would it have cost them to also have the turn signal and brake lights be LED? They both use the same circuit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I had a 11-13 WK2, I really wouldn't bother to try and retrofit the 2014 taillights since Jeep took the cheap route and only made the running lights LED. I mean really, how much more would it have cost them to also have the turn signal and brake lights be LED? They both use the same circuit.
They always leave little things like this to differentiate the next model year......It's all about the $$$

·
Registered
551 Posts
Really, the turn signal and brake lights are incandescent bulbs on the 2014? That is lame. Gonna have to spec out my own LED bulbs I guess.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Really, the turn signal and brake lights are incandescent bulbs on the 2014? That is lame. Gonna have to spec out my own LED bulbs I guess.
Either that or wait for the redesigned Grand Cherokee for the 2017 model year and maybe they will have all LED lights by then. But if Sergio is still at the head of the table at that time(probably not), then they will cut corners again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
doesn't look like it. i was planning on doing the headlight conversion on my 11 overland and considered what it would take to do the same on the rear. i've not yet figured out the lift gate trim and how the 14+ trim would mount to the older one. we know the wiring is different and i'm sure that can be figured out, but i think removing the chrome piece and trying to replace it with the larger 14 version is the biggest obstacle. that is, unless anybody else knows otherwise?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4×4
1 Posts
This forum has actually helped me to decide not to get SRT tail lights for my 2015 Grand Cherokee because it sounds like the SRT lights only have one plug.

Just like the previous '11-'13 Grand Cherokee build, my '15 Grand Cherokee stock tail lights have one plug for each funtion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts