Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
GC Diesel
195 Posts
That's a beautiful drive, nice pictures, too. How did the GC like the altitude?

· Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
800 Posts
SMax,

I saw your Jeep driving up Mt. Evans on Sunday as well. You were coming down as we were going up. We were driving the Cayenne S.

That color looked stunning!! :)

Cheers,
-A

· Registered
Overland & BMW R11GS
53 Posts

· Premium Member
156 Posts
Any recommended easy trail for an offroad newbie close to Durango CO? Going through in late August.
Take a look at the Engineer Pass 4X4 road from just north of Silverton, which is north of Durango. Drive over the San Juan Mountains to Lake City and back. It is spectacular!!!

I believe it is listed as a "moderate" drive in the Colorado Backroads book mentioned above by ironroot. There are a few places where the road is narrow with big drop-offs, but nothing difficult. Only problem is if you are beak-to-beak with another vehicle. Remember, the vehicle going uphill has the right-of-way, but sometimes it makes sense for the vehicle going uphill to give way, back up a bit, etc.

Consider that thunderstorms are typical every afternoon that time of year in Colorado. I'd recommend starting early regardless of where you decide to drive. You might also consider dropping your tire psi, at least to the high 20s. Makes a big difference!

· Registered
7 Posts
Try Ophir Pass, It's rated as one of the easier trails. I did it off of the Million Dollar highway north of Silverton. It takes you into Telluride. It's a nice easy trail to get your feet wet. Engineer Pass can be challenging with some tough spots. Do a search for Ouray Jeep Trails.

· Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
800 Posts
Imogene Pass is great. Start from Telluride side early in the morning. We did that and Engineer Pass and Mineral Creek last year and it was a blast!

· Registered
97 Posts
Any recommended easy trail for an offroad newbie close to Durango CO? Going through in late August.
About 7 miles north of Silverton on highway 550 you can head west over Ophir Pass and check out Telluride. From Telluride, go over Last Dollar Road to rigeway and back down 550 to Durango. You can access Bolen Pass behind Durango Mountin Resort (ski area) and come out north of Rico on Highway 145. Just north of Durango is Missionary Ridge Road off of County Road 250...18 miles to the top. Another spectacular run is up La Plata Canyon just west of town on County Road 120. PM me and perhaps we can take some runs together.

· Registered
32 Posts
driving the paved road to MtEvans is a bit different than driving a TRAIL.

99 of 100 WK2 drivers will NEVER drive on more than a gravel road/
You have a problem with people enjoying their Jeep where they choose to drive?

Maybe you want more people to buy an AWD vehicle and Jeep to go bankrupt?

Check the side impact collision ratings of a wrangler or the consumer reports review of the wrangler. GC makes a heck of a lot of sense for a daily ride imo. Wrangler not so much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.