Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my Power Steering fluid is low and I want to put the right type.
The manual for the 2014 JGC Limited 4x4 says, "Mopar Hydraulic Fluid".

Now WThey is that? Pretty dang general term.
And where can I buy it, or can I just use some equivalent from Autozone?

I searched the interweb and found all sorts of junk talking about part numbers, changed part numbers, electric pumps, non electric pumps, use AT+4, don't use AT+4, use generic, don't use generic, buy only from Chrysler, buy whatever you want. I am 100% lost and figure you guys know best, so please shoot me straight. Thank you...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There are threads on here about low PS fluid level on 2014's ... Do a little searching and you will have your answer.. It is NOT any kind of ATF. And you cannot just "buy" it at any auto parts store... It is fairly specific stuff....

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are threads on here about low PS fluid level on 2014's ... Do a little searching and you will have your answer.. It is NOT any kind of ATF. And you cannot just "buy" it at any auto parts store... It is fairly specific stuff....
Yes, this is my point, I have searched and I get a lot of what you just said but no one specifically comes out and says:

Buy XYZ brand, P/N 12345 from ABC Shop.

I get a lot of my brother's friend said he knew a fella that heard from a girl that AT+4 was good to use.
or
My mother in law told me her ex husband used Mopar only, but now they don't make it so she heard he uses the same thing he puts in his Corvette.

The problem...I hear, just like you stated, "you cannot just "buy" it at any auto parts store... It is fairly specific stuff". If so, then what is it? And why is it so dang hard to figure out? Why does my manual only state:
Mopar Hydraulic Fluid

Because that term alone to describe something that is specific is crap.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So does anyone know what Chrysler is talking about on page 623 of the 2014 Grand Cherokee Owners manual for Maintaining Your Vehicle - POWER STEERING - 3.6L ENGINE?

- We recommend you use MOPAR Hydraulic Fluid

What is this?
Where can it be bought?
And why is it so hard to do anything with a Jeep?
I dang love this vehicle but it is like owning an Apple computer in the early 80s.
No one knows what the hell is going on, Apple keeps everything proprietary, all my friends are trading IBM games like crazy, and I get to own an Apple IIC piece of junk that runs only software "I" buy, "I" know how to use, and "I" spend every waking hour learning what the engineers spend all of their waking hours trying to hide from me.
Dang it.

Oh, I searched this forum for:
- Power Steering Fluid
- Power Steering Fluid Type
- 2014 Grand Cherokee Power Steering Fluid
- MOPAR Hydraulic Fluid

and I get nothing helpful. So where is all the knowledge of the type of fluid to put in this thing. Meantime...back at the Hall of Justice, I am driving around with low POWER STEERING FLUID.
Unless I drive to a Jeep dealership and pay someone to pour gold flaked fluid into my car.

About to buy some dang hydraulic fluid at autozone and fill er up.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because it seems to be a pain in the ace to source the MOPAR magical blend of hydraulic fluid without buying it from the magical fairy people at the dealership...

I AM BUYING THE BELOW AND USING AS POWER STEERING FLUID FOR MY
2014 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 4X4

- PENTOSIN CHF 11S
It says in the product specifications this is a crossover for the exact same junk MOPAR sells and keeps behind the liquor cabinet locked away and only the store manager has a key. Oh, and the cabinet is only opened on Saturday nights during the day-night shift.

You can buy this at any local Auto store. I intend to buy some and pour what I do not use down the drain since this seems to be organic love juice from California. Gone are the days of real hydraulic fluid that gets on your hands and burns the dead skin away.

I apologize to anyone who lives in California unless of course you are one of the engineers responsible for introducing this new blend of organic money sauce.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
Most of the Chrysler Vehicles switched to ATF+4 for PS fluid in the 90's. That is "ATF+4", not any old ATF. ATF+4 is superior to just every ATF, so if you use any old ATF in your PS that is not ATF+4, you're likely to have PS damage.

Now some Chrysler vehicles, have stipulated even more specific fluid. The WK/XK with HEMI's had hydraulic powered cooling fans, because of this, Chrysler recommended Mopar Hybrid Power Steering and Hydraulic fluid. The Owner's Manual gave a part number and MS- Spec for the fluid.

Do you have a conventional PS pump? Or do you have an electric driven Power Steering Pump?
If you have the electric driven power steering pump, perhaps this is what you need:
https://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-power-steering-pump-reservoir-68088485ab-m.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_tTXBRBsEiwArqXyMmpKZkE7kBKlzNHKHuATyVJRYMrrK7quWL6dN-LMDnrWLyMlMWAo-xoCDCsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
2012 JGC
211 Posts
The problem...I hear, just like you stated, "you cannot just "buy" it at any auto parts store... It is fairly specific stuff". If so, then what is it? And why is it so dang hard to figure out? Why does my manual only state:
Mopar Hydraulic Fluid

Because that term alone to describe something that is specific is crap.
(edit) If your JGC calls for hydraulic fluid, O'Reilly Auto should have this in stock.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Just to keep things straight:

2014 uses two different fluids, depending on whether you have EHPS (Electro Hydraulic Power Steering) (V6) or not (V8). (not sure about Diesels)

V8 uses ATF+4 (or PS+4), V6 does not. V6 uses "MS-10838" .. Not complicated at all, once you get past all the "my brother-in-law says all Chryslers use ATF+4 in the power steering" baloney..

some on the web claim MS-10838 is CHF11S, but I haven't found anything definitive about it. MS-10838 is the same stuff 5.7L WKs use.

And, of course, there are the "universal" power steering fluids which claim to be perfect for everything from a '51 Imperial on up.. :(

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Check out this link; I think your 2014 WK2 With V6 Electric pump needs the fluid outlined in blue below

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Maintenance information and schedules

Belt pump (mechanical)

Mopar® MOPAR® Power Steering Fluid +4
p/n 05166226AA (red in color when new)
(Note: If MOPAR® Power Steering Fluid +4 is not available, then MOPAR® ATF +4 Automatic Transmission Fluid (05013457AA) is acceptable)
3.6L (early build 2011 models*)
5.7L (2011-2015 model years)
6.4L (2012-2015 model years)

Electric pump

Mopar® MOPAR® Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid meeting MS-11655
p/n 68088485AB
3.6L (2011.5 - 2015 model years*)
3.0L diesel (2014-2015 model years)
*CAUTION: There is an Electric Power Steering (EPS) pump available on later build 2011 3.6L vehicles which require a different fluid (early build 2011 3.6L vehicles have a mechanical pump). Do not mix power steering fluid types. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system if any other fluid is used. The mechanical power steering pump systems on this vehicle require the use of Power Steering Fluid +4, which meets material specification MS-9602 or equivalent. The EPS pump system uses fluid which meets material specification MS-11655 or equivalent. Do not overfill.

Electric power steering 2016-up model years, all engines - Electric power steering, uses no fluids

1 - 10 of 10 Posts