Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have had it over 3 weeks now and am glad so far I have not had any major electrical issues like some on here. I have had a few minor things so far that I will list.

1. I have at least 2 minor rattles one is somewere around the map lights and the other is in the back near or in the tailgate it sounds like but it comes and goes. I though it was the spare tire which I found loose or the jack but it still seems to come and go at times.

2. The automatic headlights seem very sensitive cloud cover is enough to make them come on.

3. Every once in a while I open the drivers door and the interior lights which normally fade on don't and just come on at full brightness after 5 seconds.

4 The headlight condensation that some have mentioned I noticed once after pulling in my garage out of the cold I saw it but a couple hours later when I checked it had cleared up. I am thinking this must be normal.

5. This is not a problem just my thoughs on the transmission. Its very smooth going up through the gears but I really don't like feeling the downshifts when slowing down and at lower speed I get some engine braking through the trans that kind of annoys me. But Overall its pretty good.

I think that sums up my thoughs on it for now, I have not registered the uconnect should I wait or register now?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm hearing a rattle close to the tailgate as well, it's only there when driving over rough concrete or areas with paving stone. I called my dealership and they just told me to bring it in, haven't had the time yet though.

I registered my uconnect the day I got it, though there are no available apps yet from what I've seen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I have had it over 3 weeks now and am glad so far I have not had any major electrical issues like some on here. I have had a few minor things so far that I will list.

1. I have at least 2 minor rattles one is somewere around the map lights and the other is in the back near or in the tailgate it sounds like but it comes and goes. I though it was the spare tire which I found loose or the jack but it still seems to come and go at times.

2. The automatic headlights seem very sensitive cloud cover is enough to make them come on.

3. Every once in a while I open the drivers door and the interior lights which normally fade on don't and just come on at full brightness after 5 seconds.

4 The headlight condensation that some have mentioned I noticed once after pulling in my garage out of the cold I saw it but a couple hours later when I checked it had cleared up. I am thinking this must be normal.

5. This is not a problem just my thoughs on the transmission. Its very smooth going up through the gears but I really don't like feeling the downshifts when slowing down and at lower speed I get some engine braking through the trans that kind of annoys me. But Overall its pretty good.

I think that sums up my thoughs on it for now, I have not registered the uconnect should I wait or register now?
I test drove a 2014 JGC yesterday and also noticed the downshifting issue you mentioned. It was much more noticeable in sport mode.

·
Registered
65 Posts
These are my issues at 500
Tail gate does not chime when car is in gear and open.
Navigation does not hear locations, pretty bad VR
Radio volume and screen froze after engine was off and door open
Climate controls go to default once and awhile
After phone call screen does not go back to navigation screen
Back button does not work on dash
All settings go to default once and awhile
Noisy squeak in center arm rest
Navigation slow to respond takes three minutes to get back to route guidance after gas station stop
Wipers do not sense rain or snow right away when car starts up.
Air height system flashes “RISING” and will not go off unless you change settings
Heated seats and steering wheel button need buttons not screen (imbedded too far) Seat is too hot. System was better on 2011 jeep.
Mirror take down lights need to stay on for 60 seconds not 5 seconds.
Had blue screen of doom when SD card and Ipod in at same time, system completely froze and went into a factory reset.
UConnect System does not pass over any files not MP3 and freezes.
No switch to un-dim mirrors
Heater controls takes up to 5 minutes to change temperature of forced air, interior temperature does not stay constant.
In Eco mode transmission sluggish

·
Registered
148 Posts
These are my issues at 500:
Tail gate does not chime when car is in gear and open.
Navigation does not hear locations, pretty bad VR
Radio volume and screen froze after engine was off and door open
Climate controls go to default once and awhile
After phone call screen does not go back to navigation screen
Back button does not work on dash
All settings go to default once and awhile
Noisy squeak in center arm rest
Navigation slow to respond takes three minutes to get back to route guidance after gas station stop
Wipers do not sense rain or snow right away when car starts up.
Air height system flashes “RISING” and will not go off unless you change settings
Heated seats and steering wheel button need buttons not screen (imbedded too far) Seat is too hot. System was better on 2011 jeep.
Mirror take down lights need to stay on for 60 seconds not 5 seconds.
Had blue screen of doom when SD card and Ipod in at same time, system completely froze and went into a factory reset.
UConnect System does not pass over any files not MP3 and freezes.
No switch to un-dim mirrors
Heater controls takes up to 5 minutes to change temperature of forced air, interior temperature does not stay constant.
In Eco mode transmission sluggish
Wow, that's some list !! Makes me 2nd guess wanting to place an order later this week :confused:

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Wow, that's some list !! Makes me 2nd guess wanting to place an order later this week :confused:
Keep in mind that not everything on the list is a defect in the Jeep, but may have to do with personal preference. I would have preferred buttons for the heated seats, but found the controls are one touch away. If the seat is too hot, set it to low or turn it off.

If things like that will upset you, then run, don't walk, to the next brand.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Keep in mind that not everything on the list is a defect in the Jeep, but may have to do with personal preference. I would have preferred buttons for the heated seats, but found the controls are one touch away. If the seat is too hot, set it to low or turn it off.

Yeah, I looked at that list and didn't think some of those are true problems, but instead are user preference.

·
Registered
148 Posts

No I understand that about preferences.

I am more concerned with all of the Noises & Squeaks that are being reported this early on (engine, tail gate, center arm rest) along with the Navigation and Touch Screen Issues and Electrical Grounding and Dash Warning Lights and Water in the headlights. I can live with some "growing pains" but not pulling over to reset a system or posting YouTube videos of a metal noise many people are reporting.

If there are that many Squeaks & Issues now, what's going to happen at 100,000 miles ? I am buying a Summit to last 6 years and 120,000 miles so if that aint gonna happen then yes, I am getting nervous for $55k.

In comparison my 2007 Acura MDX has yet to make it's first Squeak at 122,000 miles and the only warranty issue was a TSB was for a faulty gas door latch (knock on wood !!) I was also spoiled with the 50,000 Mile Acura Warranty. But I just love everything about the '14 JGC and I am ready for a Change - I just need it to last !!

Looking back I can also remember enjoying my Ford Explorer for 50,000 miles and then everything hit the fan and I don't want my Summit to do that too !! Everybody has said you can't compare an Explorer to a JGC and they are built on completely different platforms etc., but I was kinda hoping they meant the Jeep was "better" !?!

Again, at that price point I have every right to be a little apprehensive & nervous !!

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts

Again, at that price point I have every right to be a little apprehensive & nervous !!
Ok :thumbsup:

It seemed like it was one person's punch list you were concerned about.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts

I am more concerned with all of the Noises & Squeaks that are being reported this early on (engine, tail gate, center arm rest) along with the Navigation and Touch Screen Issues and Electrical Grounding and Dash Warning Lights and Water in the headlights. I can live with some "growing pains" but not pulling over to reset a system or posting YouTube videos of a metal noise many people are reporting.

If there are that many Squeaks & Issues now, what's going to happen at 100,000 miles ? I am buying a Summit to last 6 years and 120,000 miles so if that aint gonna happen then yes, I am getting nervous for $55k.

In comparison my 2007 Acura MDX has yet to make it's first Squeak at 122,000 miles and the only warranty issue was a TSB was for a faulty gas door latch (knock on wood !!) I was also spoiled with the 50,000 Mile Acura Warranty. But I just love everything about the '14 JGC and I am ready for a Change - I just need it to last !!

Looking back I can also remember enjoying my Ford Explorer for 50,000 miles and then everything hit the fan and I don't want my Summit to do that too !! Everybody has said you can't compare an Explorer to a JGC and they are built on completely different platforms etc., but I was kinda hoping they meant the Jeep was "better" !?!

For someone who can spend $55k on a Summit, get lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for around 2 grand and relax. It won't bankrupt you.

Just remember that for every 1 complaint on a forum, there are 500 without an issue. Especially with Jeeps...there are SO many of them on the road...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just remember that for every 1 complaint on a forum, there are 500 without an issue. Especially with Jeeps...there are SO many of them on the road...
Good Point......I wish we would get more of those Positive Reports !!

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
Good Point......I wish we would get more of those Positive Reports !!
Andoskyy has made a good point. There is a very small % of people on here compared to all the ones that have been sold that might or might not have problems. There have been quite a few people on here that have gotten their new Jeeps and don't hear from anymore. But rest assured that once they do, we will all hear about it.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
Andoskyy has made a good point. There is a very small % of people on here compared to all the ones that have been sold that might or might not have problems. There have been quite a few people on here that have gotten their new Jeeps and don't hear from anymore. But rest assured that once they do, we will all hear about it.
And maybe...those of us with no issues don't want to say they have no issues so it doesn't come back to bite us :D

·
Registered
2012 GC 4x4
305 Posts
"Back Rattle"

I had that when I got my 12, after about 10 minutes of tinkering around in the back, I popped my flipper glass and noticed a bolt just lying on top of the seal. Turns out it belonged to the spoiler. I just put it back in its place, tightened the other one, it was loose too and haven't had a rattle back there since.

I know your back window can't be opened and haven't checked out that spot on a 14, so I don't know how they or where they attached the spoiler. But maybe now you can get to the spot from just opening the tailgate.

On a side, after seeing the evic and new 8 inch, I'm a little jelly of you guys.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just want to say I do really like this jeep and the list of 4 or 5 things I had are just anoyances or things that need to be improved. As far as sqeaks and rattles those are quality issues and should not be present on a new 50K dollar vehicle. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that I use for work and now has a little over 50K miles on it and it is a cheap crappy car but it doesn't have any rattles in it.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I just want to say I do really like this jeep and the list of 4 or 5 things I had are just anoyances or things that need to be improved. As far as sqeaks and rattles those are quality issues and should not be present on a new 50K dollar vehicle. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that I use for work and now has a little over 50K miles on it and it is a cheap crappy car but it doesn't have any rattles in it.
I wish I could say the same about my 2010 Impala I drive for work. What a POS...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
As someone who has owned Japanese cars for a long time (Toyota & Lexus) I can tell you that you won't find the Jeep as trouble free and solid over time as your MDX. Ours is 19 months in and 26k miles and while its a great truck and I love it, it has had its share of little electrical glitches, switches that stop working, or only work sometimes, USB ports that don't always work, rattles and buzzes in spots.

Lets just say this, I have not had it to my independent mechanic for service because every time it needs service there are several little warranty items that need to be addressed, so I take it to the Jeep dealer to kill two birds with one stone. I have easily had more warranty work done on this Jeep than on the past 6 Japanese cars I've owned combined.

Nothing major, but definitely a lot of little things, and coming from Japanese cars as you are where things like that just do not fail, it will be an adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts
Im just the opposite....my wifes lexus IS250 alone was in more for warranty items than any of the three of my ChryCo's....2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 Durango Heat and 2013 Jeep SRT.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts