Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when I got in my Jeep it smelled like a wet dog! The car is not even 1 week old so I'm not sure what is going on ... That's not the "new car smell" that I envisioned. This was the first day that car sat in the sun all day long. Usually it is parked in a garage and leather up until smelled very nice.

I'm thinking that the leather caused this by being exposed to sun all day. Anybody else is getting this? This is on Overland (Indigo) with leather dash.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep, I just parked mine and went on a business trip and when I arrived this evening it didn't have a good smell for sure.. smelled like rawhide or something, but not new car smell for sure. Mine is a week old as well and first time in the sun...

I assume this will get better over time as the glues etc burn off their smells. i hope...

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is just a glue and stuff I'm fine with it. Just hope that there is nothing growing out there ...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had/have that in my 2012 Summit. Same smell when it gets hot and humid. Smelled like it was coming from the vents, but changed the filter and still smelled it. The good thing is the smell disappears after a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
Put the system on recirculate and spray some Lysol into the air intake.

They sell more expensive stuff ... because the label says "Automotive", but Lysol works fine.

---

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could but shouldn't have to do that on a new car. The wife drives it and she's allergic/sensitive to deodorizers. Those just mask the smell that will most likely come back after a couple weeks anyway. If someone who had the problem can let me know if it goes away after time...and after how long...that'd be great.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Could but shouldn't have to do that on a new car. The wife drives it and she's allergic/sensitive to deodorizers. Those just mask the smell that will most likely come back after a couple weeks anyway. If someone who had the problem can let me know if it goes away after time...and after how long...that'd be great.

When the 14's were just coming out, there were a lot of people who had water build up in different parts of their vehicles, due to drainage issues and what-not. Search "sloshing sound" on the forums and you will probably find it... I will look for the post after I type this, too.

If water built up somewhere, that could be the cause for a 'wet dog' smell.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When the 14's were just coming out, there were a lot of people who had water build up in different parts of their vehicles, due to drainage issues and what-not. Search "sloshing sound" on the forums and you will probably find it... I will look for the post after I type this, too.

If water built up somewhere, that could be the cause for a 'wet dog' smell.
Two threads worth looking at:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/sloshing-sound-from-under-the-car-15542-14.html

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-summit-ac-59613.html

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
I know a lady at work that has the 14 Laredo that had a water leak in the cargo area. the top carpet wasn't wet but did smell it. One of the drainage areas was clotted and had to get it fixed. They cleaned her car and the issue was resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Yep, I just parked mine and went on a business trip and when I arrived this evening it didn't have a good smell for sure.. smelled like rawhide or something, but not new car smell for sure. Mine is a week old as well and first time in the sun...

I assume this will get better over time as the glues etc burn off their smells. i hope...
Isn't that what your dash is covered in and baking in the sun :)

Least you know it's the real thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not the sun in our case. It stays parked in the garage. I'm looking at some tips in the links above for water draining in the car this weekend. We've had other cars with leather dashboards etc etc and none if them ever stank like wet dig, death, rotten fish like this Jeep. I'll update as we find out more...if we do.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Not the sun in our case. It stays parked in the garage. I'm looking at some tips in the links above for water draining in the car this weekend. We've had other cars with leather dashboards etc etc and none if them ever stank like wet dig, death, rotten fish like this Jeep. I'll update as we find out more...if we do.
I was just joking around. Where he said it smelled like rawhide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah. I saw you were just kidding around with the :) and no offense taken or meant. I'm just still frustrated with the dealer having it for over a week, saying they need to replace the condenser coil because the coating on it either wasn't there or applied right, then telling me it's just how they smell...even though it took a week and a half to start smelling. Anyway, the joke is all good. Remember that concept that had the rawhide looking interior with the baseball stitching a few years back? Actually looked cool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.