Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned today that Parksense will complain loudly if a bike rack is installed. I also discovered the hard switch (as opposed to the soft switches in "Settings") that disables the Parksense thing.

After mounting the rack and trying to back out 80 feet through the breezeway between our house and garage, the chime drove me crazy until I was able to shift out of reverse. Finding the shut up button was a relief.

It did get me to wondering if this switch has to be thrown when backing up a trailer as in, do the sensors get upset by the proximity of a trailer?

Anyone hsve experience with this?

· Administrator
12,136 Posts
Yes, when I have the trailer on, I have to push the button. I leave it on while backing the ball under the hitch (and generally get that in one shot due to the backup camera pointing directly at the top of my hitch ball... :) ) and then kill it once everything is hooked up.

· Administrator
12,136 Posts
Yea, the chime is, um...persistent...

· Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Carry my bikes on a hitch rack all the time. Push the button when I back out of the garage or parking place, no problem. :D

· Registered
19 Posts
My 2014 JGC Summit beeped maddeningly when I backed up a trailer for the first time with it today. I was used to having an off button on our Ford and Honda Pilot, so figured there must be one on the Jeep. Couldn't find it, so went to the manual. The manual says there is one below the climate controls and even shows a picture. My Jeep has only 2 buttons there -- ECO and Stability Control -- spaced differently than the picture. Seems my only option is to put it in park and fumble through the touch-screen menus.

Is the Summit not supposed to have a button to turn off the park sense? Did they hide it somewhere?

· Registered
56 Posts
My 2014 JGC Summit beeped maddeningly when I backed up a trailer for the first time with it today. I was used to having an off button on our Ford and Honda Pilot, so figured there must be one on the Jeep. Couldn't find it, so went to the manual. The manual says there is one below the climate controls and even shows a picture. My Jeep has only 2 buttons there -- ECO and Stability Control -- spaced differently than the picture. Seems my only option is to put it in park and fumble through the touch-screen menus.

Is the Summit not supposed to have a button to turn off the park sense? Did they hide it somewhere?
My Overland has one...

· Registered
34 Posts
It must have to do with the fact that the summit has both front and rear park sense and would therefore need two buttons to control the system? It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't have put a switch in to control at least the rear tho??

· Registered
19 Posts
The manual (page 39) shows 4 buttons, from L to R: Parksense Off, Forward Collision Off, ECO On, Stability Control Off. The next page describes the front & rear parksense sensors, as well as the button to turn them off.

The marketing brochure has an interior photo of the Summit -- it shows four buttons. Now I'm starting to think the buttons really are missing.

· Registered
34 Posts
The manual (page 39) shows 4 buttons, from L to R: Parksense Off, Forward Collision Off, ECO On, Stability Control Off. The next page describes the front & rear parksense sensors, as well as the button to turn them off.

The marketing brochure has an interior photo of the Summit -- it shows four buttons. Now I'm starting to think the buttons really are missing.
That's what my Overland has on it. Looks like you need a summit owner to chime in here.

· Registered
789 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
My 2014.5 Summit only has the 2 buttons (ECO and ESC) on it... I was wondering about that also but never enough to actually research it... :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know how the forward Parksense functions. When I am in reverse it works fine. I see the display and hear the beeps. However, when I have to park facing a 4 foot wall at work I do not get any warning as I approach the wall and end up jumping out to see if I will hit it. Does it only work in the rear on my 2014 Overland? Do I need to set something to activate forward Parksense? Thanks for any info.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.