Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a bit of insight, I have the Mopar Maxcare Lifetime warranty on my Jeep and it's made a habit of finding it's way back to the dealership for odds and ends every 8 months or so.I went in for a dashboard recall and while in there I mentioned I had heard a clunk at takeoff appear within the last week or so and asked that they took a look into it. I dropped it off expecting to be w/o my vehicle for a few days and just found out that the entire front end needs to be rebuilt and that I have to wait for an inspector from Chsyler due to the cost of repairs. Any insight or experience would be welcome as the whole thing came out of left field for me and has me a bit worried. I've never had problems with the warranty before and they did a repair on the AC about two years ago that totaled ~3k. The rough quote from the dealership is that it needs ~10k of parts+labor, guessing that amount triggered the need for an inspection from Chrysler?

Thanks in advance,
Charles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for a bit of insight, I have the Mopar Maxcare Lifetime warranty on my Jeep and it's made a habit of finding it's way back to the dealership for odds and ends every 8 months or so.I went in for a dashboard recall and while in there I mentioned I had heard a clunk at takeoff appear within the last week or so and asked that they took a look into it. I dropped it off expecting to be w/o my vehicle for a few days and just found out that the entire front end needs to be rebuilt and that I have to wait for an inspector from Chsyler due to the cost of repairs. Any insight or experience would be welcome as the whole thing came out of left field for me and has me a bit worried. I've never had problems with the warranty before and they did a repair on the AC about two years ago that totaled ~3k. The rough quote from the dealership is that it needs ~10k of parts+labor, guessing that amount triggered the need for an inspection from Chrysler?

Thanks in advance,
Charles
I would imagine they might do better giving you a different Jeep - a year or so newer - with less of a demanding repair problem. If I were the "REP" from Chrysler, that would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What does front end rebuilt really mean, and for $10k? Suspension, transmission, axles, what??

With the used car market prices of used Jeeps GC's have remained high. I doubt the cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle, which if it did, they could deny the claim per the agreement. Lifetime is only good so long the repairs do not exceed the actual market value of the vehicle. I would immediately ask for a detailed estimate from the dealership before the rep comes in. Then compare that report to what the rep presents so there's no blurred lines on what is recommended be repaired by the dealer vs what the rep actually approves. If the dealer says it needs fixed, it needs fixed. Just giving you this advice to stay ahead of the eight ball so they don't only repair 80% of what it needs, etc.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
306 Posts
Posts like these make me wish I got the lifetime instead of 8 year warranty. I hope everything works out smoothly for OP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my main concern is that prior to this any repairs required a phone call to Chrysler. After hearing about an inspector being required I started reading online and seeing that it's akin to an insurance agent that looks for reasons to deny repairs. Times are tough in the kingdom and from what I read it looks like Chrysler is trying to be more fiscally conservative in these issues. I do keep meticulous service records though so I'm only a bit worried, it's serviced per the book guidance.

As far as what the front end entails, I'm being told the front air suspension shocks are leaking and need replaced along with the lines. In addition an engine mount failure occurred as well as control arms and bushings need to be replaced. It just hit 110K miles. I know they don't base the value of the vehicle using KBB but KBB came back at ~20K for the value so the repair value won't exceed the current cost of the vehicle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess my main concern is that prior to this any repairs required a phone call to Chrysler. After hearing about an inspector being required I started reading online and seeing that it's akin to an insurance agent that looks for reasons to deny repairs. Times are tough in the kingdom and from what I read it looks like Chrysler is trying to be more fiscally conservative in these issues. I do keep meticulous service records though so I'm only a bit worried, it's serviced per the book guidance.

As far as what the front end entails, I'm being told the front air suspension shocks are leaking and need replaced along with the lines. In addition an engine mount failure occurred as well as control arms and bushings need to be replaced. It just hit 110K miles. I know they don't base the value of the vehicle using KBB but KBB came back at ~20K for the value so the repair value won't exceed the current cost of the vehicle.
I don't see how that's $10k. Maybe closer to $5k in my opinion. Probably looking at $3-$4k in air suspension and another $2k on the very high side for a motor mount and some suspension components. I could be way off, but $10k for what you described seems ridiculous.

Also, what your technically speaking of needing replaced does not require continued maintenance. It's not like you have to service the front/rear diff, transmission, engine oil, etc. Those are completely independent of what you have going on. What you have are just part failures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see how that's $10k. Maybe closer to $5k in my opinion. Probably looking at $3-$4k in air suspension and another $2k on the very high side for a motor mount and some suspension components. I could be way off, but $10k for what you described seems ridiculous.

Also, what your technically speaking of needing replaced does not require continued maintenance. It's not like you have to service the front/rear diff, transmission, engine oil, etc. Those are completely independent of what you have going on. What you have are just part failures.
I agree, I just mentioned the maintenance records as when the dealership told me I had to wait for a FCA inspector I did some reading online and found that within the last two years these inspectors are looking for reasons to not cover components. I hope it doesn't come to that as the warranty has been fantastic so far. As it is, it's my only vehicle and rentals are ridiculously priced right now so it's grocery delivery and Lyft for me until I get this sorted which is sounding like it will be about a week and a half for a decision from FCA. After that, I hope parts are available otherwise I may have to find a secondary beater to limp me through this.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,068 Posts
Typically a clunk when setting off is the transfer case letting you know you've neglected its fluid changes.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee Summi
43 Posts
Shouldn’t the warranty be providing a loaner vehicle? My Chrysler contract includes this benefit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shouldn’t the warranty be providing a loaner vehicle? My Chrysler contract includes this benefit.
Once FCA approves the work they should but I was wrong about the mileage. The odometer is right next to 100k and the dealership told me they may deny it as the warranty does not cover a rental after 100k.

·
Registered
JGC
510 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the inspector coming out to review and approve it. Two years ago they did the same thing to me when I took it in for the Water Pump, then they discovered the HD Radiator needed replacing, and then they found an A/C line leaking, and I believe one other small item. They told me at the time that it was common for Mopar to send out an inspector when they find multiple items (to keep the dealers honest). Took two days for the inspector to make it there, but then was approved shortly after the visit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the inspector coming out to review and approve it. Two years ago they did the same thing to me when I took it in for the Water Pump, then they discovered the HD Radiator needed replacing, and then they found an A/C line leaking, and I believe one other small item. They told me at the time that it was common for Mopar to send out an inspector when they find multiple items (to keep the dealers honest). Took two days for the inspector to make it there, but then was approved shortly after the visit.
I hit my two day mark tomorrow so I'm expecting to find out more tomorrow. I feel like I did the equivalent of googling medical symptoms and using WebMD when I searched for more information about why FCA would require an inspector. A few accounts of inspectors denying claims within the last two years given the current state of things made me a bit worried I'll admit.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
310 Posts
I had some suspension parts replaced about a year ago on my 2018. It was just over 36,300 miles so I was hoping the "inspector" was going to say this wasn't a MaxCare issue and cover it under the mfr warranty. Nope! (long story). The jeep sat there for 10 days waiting for the inspector to get there. Praise the lord they got me a rental after the first 2 days - and covered the rental for the repair. Some of the parts were backordered to boot, and they couldn't order them till the inspection. It was difficult for sure, but the dealership later apologized and made things right. So I guess things worked out in the end. So far it is the only time I've used MaxCare, but any repairs going forward will be under MaxCare. The "free" rental car has been a lifesaver so far. Although that benefit expires after 7 years I think.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Charles
Hi, Charles. If you don't find the answers you're looking for from your fellow forum members, we are here to assist. We can discuss your situation further in private message at anytime.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, Charles. If you don't find the answers you're looking for from your fellow forum members, we are here to assist. We can discuss your situation further in private message at anytime.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks Kate, I was able to call the MaxCare line and get more information as the dealership isn't returning calls very quickly. (not throwing them under the bus, I understand things are busy and tough) The inspector did go out and disputed a few items as not needing to be replaced so I can only hope that the dealership works it out if they continue to feel those items need repairs. Just hoping parts are available and that the dealership doesn't let it linger to long for the items the inspector agreed needed repairs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got an update that the dealership does feel that the inspector was incorrect in their initial assessment and so they are going to send out a second inspector. I appreciate that the dealership is sticking with their assessment however I'm being told that as a result they have no authorization yet on the findings the first inspector approved so they cannot order parts or start on anything. This means that it will be at the earliest day 10 before we can even order parts. Asked about the rental coverage in the warranty and the dealership says my odometer reads 100500 so I just missed eligibility.

·
Registered
JGC
510 Posts
@K_Charles That bites that you just missed on the rental car. But just be happy that you have the lifetime MaxCare ... mine ran out a year ago at 7 years and 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since the dealer challenged the first inspection I'm being told the items that the inspector agreed needed to be fixed could not be ordered and work could not be started as asking for a second inspection rescinded their authorization from the first inspector. I'll be lucky if we get parts ordered by day 12 and I'm hoping they're in stock. I went from joking about a backup vehicle to starting to look around given rental car prices are absurd at the moment and this is looking like it'll be close to the end of the month before my Jeep may be out of the shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today is day 10, second inspection has been completed but I am being told the report needs to be reviewed by Chrysler before the dealership gets any additional information. Rental vehicles are currently $588/week on my dime. I'll be lucky if we get authorization tomorrow to start procurement and with current supply chain disruptions I just hope these parts are reasonably available.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts