Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts? What are the reasons for each? Going to be purchasing in 5.7 4x4, but can't see a ton of reason to go to the Summit. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Summit ----> Preference is for luxury on the road with very limited/mild or no off-road desires. Gain best audio system, distinctive styling and a unique interior treatment with the available brown leather. Limited number of exterior colors.

Overland ----> High-end appointments inside with off-road capability outside at the sacrifice of a few bells and whistles only available on the Summit. Off-road options available; three interior colors plus most exterior colors.

Which you choose should be based on what you intend to do with it. Off-road automagically puts you in the Overland, for example.

Reactions: Megatron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100% on road for me. Odd why they don't have simple things like Remote Start / LATCH system in a higher priced vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good thread. I wanted to post the same thought a while ago.

I prefer the looks of the Overland; I hate the wheels and the lower front fascia of the Summit. However, I really want the H/K sound system, which happens to only be on the Summit. Don't care too much for the other added appointments on the Summit, makes it look too bloated.

The perfect JGC for me would be the Overland with the at least the option to order the H/K sound system (should be standard to begin with) and the addition of the chrome grille found on the Summit.

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Couldn't agree more. At least make the HK an upgrade
They are not offering this to keep the exclusivity of the Summit trim level. Same with the brown interior with "copper" highlights. If you could option out an Overland to the same exact thing as the Summit, there would be no reason to have the Summit. Remember, this is marketing... ;)

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,305 Posts
Just replace the front speakers in the overland with some upgraded alpines etc and that will improve your sounds. Nice little upgrade without having the hk system and your ears will be pleased,any good and knowledgable stereo shop should be able to handle this quick job or you can do it yourself.... Start your search at crutchfield.com

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
100% on road for me. Odd why they don't have simple things like Remote Start / LATCH system in a higher priced vehicle.
Errrm, they both have those features.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
Rhino Trackhawk
85 Posts

I prefer the looks of the Overland; I hate the wheels and the lower front fascia of the Summit. However, I really want the H/K sound system, which happens to only be on the Summit. Don't care too much for the other added appointments on the Summit, makes it look too bloated.

The perfect JGC for me would be the Overland with the at least the option to order the H/K sound system (should be standard to begin with) and the addition of the chrome grille found on the Summit.
I agree as well. Going to order my CRD tomorrow. Originally I was going to get an Overland like the '12 I have now, until I found out the HK was only on Summit.

I too like the looks of the Overland a bit more, plus i get tow hooks standards. I am leaning toward the Summit and having the dealer swap me the Overland wheels.

I do lots of driving and about 5-10% off roading so I am sure either JGC will perform as expected.

I still have a few more hours to decide. I am going to sit in both again tomorrow morning to try and decide.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts

Amen to that ! It was such a disappointment when I found out that the summit wont have some offroad specs and overland wont get the sound system . What I did was ordered the overland with the promise that after some time ill upgrade the sound to smth even better than the summit :)
don't care about adaptive headlights at all.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Not that I'm complaining but I wonder why Jeep gives the Summit 4X4 V8 Quadra Drive standard, since its obvious they don't really intend for it to go off road?

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
QD isn't just for off-road...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not that I'm complaining but I wonder why Jeep gives the Summit 4X4 V8 Quadra Drive standard, since its obvious they don't really intend for it to go off road?
Other than the lack of underbody protective plates, the Summit is as capable on off-road vehicle as the Overland. The plates can be dealer installed if you really need them.

But, unless you're going to be doing extensive rock climbing they don't serve much. For regular rough trail riding the Summit will be better than just about any luxury vehicle except (maybe) a Range Rover. The Overland too, of course, but why give up the extra Summit goodies if you can afford them?

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Other than the lack of underbody protective plates, the Summit is as capable on off-road vehicle as the Overland. The plates can be dealer installed if you really need them.

But, unless you're going to be doing extensive rock climbing they don't serve much. For regular rough trail riding the Summit will be better than just about any luxury vehicle except (maybe) a Range Rover. The Overland too, of course, but why give up the extra Summit goodies if you can afford them?

Michael
Let's see ... what's the extra on Summit? Upgraded audio and adaptive headlights plus a bucket worth of chrome. Not a big deal for me ... The only thing that I wish I had an option to get is headlights. Don't like the chrome on Summit though ... Also I like Indigo interior which you can only get it on Overland. Still I wish I was able to get Saddle.

On the other hand, I think you should be able to spec out Overland to Summit by adding headlights and better audio just like you can do with Limited or even Laredo to almost bring it up 1 trim level up.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Let's see ... what's the extra on Summit? Upgraded audio and adaptive headlights plus a bucket worth of chrome. Not a big deal for me ... The only thing that I wish I had an option to get is headlights. Don't like the chrome on Summit though ... Also I like Indigo interior which you can only get it on Overland. Still I wish I was able to get Saddle.

On the other hand, I think you should be able to spec out Overland to Summit by adding headlights and better audio just like you can do with Limited or even Laredo to almost bring it up 1 trim level up.
You can't order the upgraded Summit sound system or headlights with washers in the Overland.

---

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can't order the upgraded Summit sound system or headlights with washers in the Overland.

---
I dot think he was saying you can spec it out, just that he wishes you could spec it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
I dot think he was saying you can spec it out, just that he wishes you could spec it.
If so, I misunderstood ... :eek:

If they allowed that, the Summit wouldn't be quite as special.

---

1 - 20 of 93 Posts