Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
621 - 638 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
2019 JGC Trailhawk
60 Posts
I cannot find this and these ceiling lights are bugging the hell out of me to the point where I'm ready to just "unplug" them, especially since they are literally right over our baby's car seat and shining in her eyes.

What are they technically called so I can try to be more efficient with my search?
Anyone?

·
Registered
81 Posts
DeAuto - so I actually went with a full Morimoto setup for rear brake/turn signal and reverse lights (3157, 7443, and 921 bulbs) and wasn't impressed. Couple questions can you post pictures of those actual bulbs - I would like to see the LED array. Also, do they have full coverage for the bulbs, meaning the LED's being directional don't just direct light in one direction (many of the 921 designs are like this). Lastly, are the 7443 and 921 rated at similar lumens, I've seen some where the 7443 is brighter than the 921 and it looks odd. If you can show me images of the bulbs and provide lumens rating I would inclined to purchase a set for my 2019 GC.

·
Vendor
524 Posts
DeAuto - so I actually went with a full Morimoto setup for rear brake/turn signal and reverse lights (3157, 7443, and 921 bulbs) and wasn't impressed. Couple questions can you post pictures of those actual bulbs - I would like to see the LED array. Also, do they have full coverage for the bulbs, meaning the LED's being directional don't just direct light in one direction (many of the 921 designs are like this). Lastly, are the 7443 and 921 rated at similar lumens, I've seen some where the 7443 is brighter than the 921 and it looks odd. If you can show me images of the bulbs and provide lumens rating I would inclined to purchase a set for my 2019 GC.
Hi, we have heard this before. Many switched are very happy with the setup. We have new 7443/3157 and our 921/7440 reverse are still very bright.

At this time we feel lumen ratings do not paint the full picture on what you will see in your housing. That is why all LEDs are tested in your housing to make sure you are seeing the best quality. While a bit more money (not much) it is worth it as you will see a drastic difference vs many others on the market. They have people that switch after seeing their friend's with deAutoLED and the huge difference in light output and beam angle.

If you email [email protected] the team can help you better and set you up with a discount if purchasing all at once.

Thank you

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, we have heard this before. Many switched are very happy with the setup. We have new 7443/3157 and our 921/7440 reverse are still very bright.

At this time we feel lumen ratings do not paint the full picture on what you will see in your housing. That is why all LEDs are tested in your housing to make sure you are seeing the best quality. While a bit more money (not much) it is worth it as you will see a drastic difference vs many others on the market. They have people that switch after seeing their friend's with deAutoLED and the huge difference in light output and beam angle.

If you email [email protected] the team can help you better and set you up with a discount if purchasing all at once.

Thank you
Sent you guys an email. Do you have any info on the bulbs such as what LED's are used, quantity, etc? Any pics of the bulbs would be nice.

·
Vendor
524 Posts
Sent you guys an email. Do you have any info on the bulbs such as what LED's are used, quantity, etc? Any pics of the bulbs would be nice.
They do not share the info as there is no fair comparison on the market so it won't mean much. What they do is test their diodes and how it looks in the specific car they are selling it to and why many other "higher" rated lumens are not as bright.

If you do not mind me asking, what would be the point of knowing the lumens, diode type and photo? What would it be compared to exactly to better help you make your decision? I only ask honestly as this is the honest reason why they do not share the info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well to be honest if you go look at most reputable LED bulbs MFG's they either list the type of LED used (CREE, Samsung, Epistar, etc.), the "Effective" lumens if measured, and generally include pictures of the bulbs.

To be honest, I'm not asking for much. Just something to compare to other options as a consumer to make an informed decision. At minimum posting pics of the bulbs just to maybe get a better judge of the design and quality would be nice. Saying your bulb is better than X, Y, and Z is nice and all but why not let the consumer decide? All I'm asking is the share a bit more info or a bare minimum some pictures of the bulb. Overexposed night time pictures of the reverse lights on only tells a small part of the story in my opinion.

·
Vendor
524 Posts
Well to be honest if you go look at most reputable LED bulbs MFG's they either list the type of LED used (CREE, Samsung, Epistar, etc.), the "Effective" lumens if measured, and generally include pictures of the bulbs.

To be honest, I'm not asking for much. Just something to compare to other options as a consumer to make an informed decision. At minimum posting pics of the bulbs just to maybe get a better judge of the design and quality would be nice. Saying your bulb is better than X, Y, and Z is nice and all but why not let the consumer decide? All I'm asking is the share a bit more info or a bare minimum some pictures of the bulb. Overexposed night time pictures of the reverse lights on only tells a small part of the story in my opinion.
While your concern is valid I don't feel it relates to being reputable or not. For reputable: they have been manufacturing lighting products that work error free where others have not for a long time. They also have some of the brightest LEDs on the market tested by 3rd party testers. They stand by their products and offer the best warranty and customer service in the industry.

I feel I gave a fair and truthful answer: The only way to really tell if it will be brighter is by using and comparing the product.

The team should be able to send you a photo of the bulbs though.

I am not sure where the photos are overexposed. Many have shared photos and they all look the same. Many have enjoyed the reverse while seeing more light vs competitors:

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I state reputable I mean brands such as:

Morimoto - Pictures and Lumens presented
GTR Lighting - Pictures and Lumens presented
VLED - Pictures and Lumens presented
DiodeDynamics - Pictures and Lumens presented
Philips - Pictures and Lumens presented

Those are the companies I speak of to name a few and whom I'm sure most cross shop. My point is you consistently deflect two simple questions A) Have you tested these or have effective lumen ratings B) can you at least put up pictures of your product like EVERY other vendor/MFG here does?

In my experience companies that can't simply provide pictures of their product either have Copyright Infringement issues because they are using somebody else's design or utilizing lower quality Chinese MFG components. Not saying that is you but I do find it odd why you continually deflect questions like above. Lastly, are you the same brand as MHF Auto...your parts share the identical descriptions and utilize the same vehicle images. Ironically, they have pictures of their bulbs on their site though? I would happily purchase a set of your bulbs if you can clarify some of the above (y)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm afraid I have to agree here. I bought all my LEDs from V-LEDs and Diode Dynamics (multiple vehicles) because of the vagueness of the product descriptions posted by this vendor. They just felt like "trust me, I know what's best for you and you don't actually have to see the product until you pay for it." Very much like what a scam artist would say (I'm not accusing them of being scam artists - just pointing out similarities).

The design of the bulb and placement of the LEDs has a significant impact on how well a bulb fills the reflector with light and therefore how bright the lights appear. There are LED bulbs that are flat and have diodes only on two sides, flat ones with additional diodes on the edges, round ones with diodes all around, tower bulbs that are round but taller than a normal bulb, square bulbs, triangular bulbs, even bulbs that have their own circular reflecting cone in the base. Surely it can't be all that difficult to post photos of the design that we're being sold? Specs would be even better. The more deflecting and hyperbole I see, the more it sounds like a politician avoiding direct answers and the less likely I am to deal with them.

·
Vendor
524 Posts
I will start again by saying I do not disagree that photos and specs would be a nice addition. I do however 100% disagree to what you feel this means.

I honestly think they would really benefit from listing the lumens as they have some of the brightest bulbs. Another company tested it and rated them one of the brightest:

I do feel bad and apologize this is your opinion without ever trying the product but I can say the two do not correlate at all.

deAutoLEDs are brighter than many if not all of those brands based on 3rd party testing I have seen and real customer feedback. If they posted lumen ratings and they are less then other brands but in person theirs are brighter it doesn't really make for a fair comparison.

"trust me, I know what's best for you and you don't actually have to see the product until you pay for it."
--This is not their mentality and it is more because it is tested by real customers and real customer feedback that allows you to trust them and not them simply saying it. They never had a return or complaint when people switched to them from competitors and only have good feedback. The photos will show the true difference especially with the brake LEDs vs OEM. If you are not seeing a big difference like that with the competitor and you are not able to see the red light in direct sun light (big issue) then it is not the same even if their lumens are more than deAutoLED.

The reason they are in business is due to this feedback and honest real customers leaving their feedback. Many bought the product without a photo, diode type or lumen rating. At the end all that matters to them are happy customers and that is all you will find.

Thanks for allowing me to explain this better.

I spoke to the team that will consider it. Since this post they sold out of their brakes/reverse - they will be in stock 10/30/2019 Wednesday - no worries :)

They have no issue sharing lumens with people contacting them if they understand the reason why they do not. It is about consumer awareness and the consumer being knowledgeable. The "trust me" statement gets me because people will be installing these and seeing the results for themselves and at that point it is not about trusting deAutoLED but trusting their own eyes and seeing that the LEDs they just purchased from deAutoLED ARE in fact brighter and better.

They will if you email them make sure the consumer has more info by stating:

- asking what would you compare the lumens to as a bulb can be 1000 lumens and not be as bright as a 400 lumen bulb due to the diode array and how they align within that housing.
-many will simply compare to another amazon/ebay saying their bulbs are 10000 lumens and it isn't always accurate. Imagine that you have a 1500 lumen rated bulb installed and you don't feel it is bright and you then see deAutoLED is 800 lumens - a consumer will naturally think their bulbs is not as bright and keep looking. This is what they want to avoid
-they feel the testing/customer feedback/videos photo etc. can help you decide instead of a lumen rating.

Not sharing lumens and photos allowed for this conversation and I feel maybe if you understand how they make a sale and their stats a few people that have an issue outweighs the thousand of others using their product and seeing a difference from their current setup.

Thanks again for allowing us to share this information

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm afraid I have to agree here. I bought all my LEDs from V-LEDs and Diode Dynamics (multiple vehicles) because of the vagueness of the product descriptions posted by this vendor. They just felt like "trust me, I know what's best for you and you don't actually have to see the product until you pay for it." Very much like what a scam artist would say (I'm not accusing them of being scam artists - just pointing out similarities).

The design of the bulb and placement of the LEDs has a significant impact on how well a bulb fills the reflector with light and therefore how bright the lights appear. There are LED bulbs that are flat and have diodes only on two sides, flat ones with additional diodes on the edges, round ones with diodes all around, tower bulbs that are round but taller than a normal bulb, square bulbs, triangular bulbs, even bulbs that have their own circular reflecting cone in the base. Surely it can't be all that difficult to post photos of the design that we're being sold? Specs would be even better. The more deflecting and hyperbole I see, the more it sounds like a politician avoiding direct answers and the less likely I am to deal with them.
I completely agree here, I almost went with the VLEDS's but ended up going with GTR Lighting bulbs (got to see some first hand and they were impressive). The location of the LED's and the componentry used (CREE for VLED's and Samsung for GTR) make a substantial difference...pretty sure any "reputable" MFG will agree with that. Many that don't are using Chine knockoff components and seem to deflect any reasonable answer to this question.

I also agree the hyperbole and consistent deflecting was a big red sign to me. Both their responses and defensive emails were a complete turn off. The ability to not directly answer questions, provide any meaningful specs, or at bare minimum provide a picture of their product is massively suspect.

DeAutoKey - it might not matter to you but again not providing pictures, not providing any specs, and failing to answer why you have other companies with the same pictures/description seems suspect. I spent some time browsing other forums and others share the same sentiment. Just a word of warning - many consumers don't like being told to defer to various unproven customer feedback or having email conversations that come off as completely dismissive and rather defensive. I can say I won't be purchasing any of your products any time soon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Here's something that people might find interesting...

After reading the protestations from the vendor, I thought I might just order a pair of amber rear turn signal LED bulbs to see if their claim of being the brightest was true. I figured, what have I got to lose? I've already got a pair of very bright LED bulbs from V-LED so let's see how these measure up. I can always return them if they aren't as bright as claimed.

So I went on their site to order a pair of bulbs. You know those claims that they have been individually matched to each vehicle for best brightness? Well maybe Volkswagon. They have no less than 14 individual VW models listed but for Jeep it's just "all years + trims". Then the rear turn signal bulbs are listed as "Universal Rear Turn Signal LED Fits All Car Models". That section doesn't even tell you which bulbs fit your Jeep - you have to select the correct bulb number yourself. Not a big problem, I know which ones to order but I bet a lot of people don't. Oh yeah... they have a link saying click here to look up your bulb type. It doesn't go to a listing by make/model as one would expect - it goes to an email form to request information... a form where the bulb number is a required field! (if you knew the bulb number, you wouldn't be filling out the form).

But then I looked at the return policy to make sure I can send them back if they aren't all they're claimed to be. Guess what? There's a 10% restocking charge for returns! (Plus return shipping of course). The only photos are of bulbs in tail lights. I could make my existing LED bulbs look like aircraft landing lights with the right exposure settings so those photos aren't much help.

Now I'm not saying that these bulbs aren't everything that they say they are. I'm saying we have no way of knowing prior to purchase and I'm not about to spend the money to find out - especially since it still costs me money for restocking if they aren't as good as the ones I already have. If the vendor wants to waive restocking fees, I could be tempted to buy a pair of amber rear signal bulbs to compare to the ones I have now. If they are at least as bright then I'll keep them. Otherwise, I'll return them (I'll pay return shipping but not a restocking charge). Either way, I'll post my findings here so that members can read an unbiased opinion.

·
Vendor
524 Posts
Update - everything is back in stock and ready to ship:

All orders shipped today as they are seeing an increase of sales due to the thread and hope some honest feedback is shared. :)

Here is some photos/review of the deAutoLEDs from a customer:

------

@The Wizard

Thanks for giving our brand a shot. Are you comparing these to the VLEDs that are $160 and need resistors? If so that is not ones that were compared due to the price tag being 3x and requiring the bulky resistors. They have compared the stand-alone LEDs from VLEDs.

A customer did a review on the vleds stage 2 7443 red in their Tacoma vs ours and ours were brighter. They use the same diode/setup in the Jeep 3157.

But every single feedback/review you see is honest real feedback where customers liked their LEDs so they wanted to share them. Most people know you can change settings on a camera to make the LED brighter than what you see in person but what you see in the photos is what you will see in person.

The 10% restocking fee is not true and a mistake on their site so thank you for pointing this out. They do not charge a restocking fee on returns unless it is returned damaged and even then it is rare as they always work with their customers. They updated it to be more clear on their site as anyone that worked with them can confirm there is no restocking fee.

We cannot wait to hear your feedback. You could always contact them too [email protected] for help with purchasing the bulb. If you need a specific bulb not in a model specific listing and know the bulb number you can just shop their universal area:

------

I completely agree here, I almost went with the VLEDS's but ended up going with GTR Lighting bulbs (got to see some first hand and they were impressive). The location of the LED's and the componentry used (CREE for VLED's and Samsung for GTR) make a substantial difference...pretty sure any "reputable" MFG will agree with that. Many that don't are using Chine knockoff components and seem to deflect any reasonable answer to this question.

I also agree the hyperbole and consistent deflecting was a big red sign to me. Both their responses and defensive emails were a complete turn off. The ability to not directly answer questions, provide any meaningful specs, or at bare minimum provide a picture of their product is massively suspect.

DeAutoKey - it might not matter to you but again not providing pictures, not providing any specs, and failing to answer why you have other companies with the same pictures/description seems suspect. I spent some time browsing other forums and others share the same sentiment. Just a word of warning - many consumers don't like being told to defer to various unproven customer feedback or having email conversations that come off as completely dismissive and rather defensive. I can say I won't be purchasing any of your products any time soon.
Many switched to deAutoLED and saw a brighter LED - as long as their customers are happy and people know what they offer that is all that matters at the end of all of this.

I understand your concern and I suggested to the team to add more information. But everything else you are saying is 100% incorrect and simply not true. I am sorry you feel this way and agree that photos and specs would be helpful but beyond that I cannot agree with the accusations because I know for a fact that is wrong and customer feedback says the opposite.

"Chine knockoff components" - no idea how you can conclude this. With a lifetime warranty these LEDs must work and last or they'd be out of business with failed LEDs. They have to use the highest quality material. But they also use the highest quality material so you can have a bright bulb you are happy with using daily.

deAutoLEDs = bright = happy customers = what you see online you see in person.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for giving our brand a shot. Are you comparing these to the VLEDs that are $160 and need resistors? If so that is not ones that were compared due to the price tag being 3x and requiring the bulky resistors. They have compared the stand-alone LEDs from VLEDs.

The 10% restocking fee is not true and a mistake on their site so thank you for pointing this out. They do not charge a restocking fee on returns unless it is returned damaged and even then it is rare as they always work with their customers. They updated it to be more clear on their site as anyone that worked with them can confirm there is no restocking fee.

We cannot wait to hear your feedback. You could always contact them too [email protected] for help with purchasing the bulb. If you need a specific bulb not in a model specific listing and know the bulb number you can just shop their universal area:
I am currently using the V-LED high visibility standard 7443 amber bulbs (not the Tritons) for my rear turn signals. They are $30 each so fairly comparable to the $50 / pair of your bulbs. I could not use the Tritons because there is no room for their large heat sink behind the tail lights. Also, I have the vehicle wired to strobe the turn signals and backup lights while providing safety support for all-day charity bicycle rides and the controller for the Tritons is not a good match for the strobe flasher module.

Other than those, I have tried Diode Dynamics, JDM ASTAR, iBrightstar, and a couple of no-name products from Amazon. The iBrightstar bulbs are by far the brightest in my Mustang but not so much in the Jeep - further proof of how much bulb design can affect performance in different lamp reflectors. If you have another vehicle besides a JGC, I would highly recommend trying them... they are noticeably brighter than any of the others and have held up to the abuse of being turn signal, DRL, and strobes for over two years now (most LED bulbs don't handle the heat of constant DRL use well).

I just placed an order for a pair of 7443 amber LED bulbs from deAutoLED.com. I don't know how long their free shipping takes but I'm not in a hurry and didn't want to pay extra for expedited shipping. When they arrive, I'll put one in one side and compare to the existing V-LED on the other side. If they aren't as bright then I will pack them up and return them. But if they are at least as bright (or perhaps even brighter?), I will keep them. Then I will try them during the local Diabetes Association ride coming up in a couple of weeks to see how they handle the stress of constant use as strobes. I would hope that they can match the resilience of the iBrightstars that are less than half the price. In any case, I will post here to keep everyone updated on how they do.

·
Vendor
524 Posts
I am currently using the V-LED high visibility standard 7443 amber bulbs (not the Tritons) for my rear turn signals. They are $30 each so fairly comparable to the $50 / pair of your bulbs. I could not use the Tritons because there is no room for their large heat sink behind the tail lights. Also, I have the vehicle wired to strobe the turn signals and backup lights while providing safety support for all-day charity bicycle rides and the controller for the Tritons is not a good match for the strobe flasher module.

Other than those, I have tried Diode Dynamics, JDM ASTAR, iBrightstar, and a couple of no-name products from Amazon. The iBrightstar bulbs are by far the brightest in my Mustang but not so much in the Jeep - further proof of how much bulb design can affect performance in different lamp reflectors. If you have another vehicle besides a JGC, I would highly recommend trying them... they are noticeably brighter than any of the others and have held up to the abuse of being turn signal, DRL, and strobes for over two years now (most LED bulbs don't handle the heat of constant DRL use well).

I just placed an order for a pair of 7443 amber LED bulbs from deAutoLED.com. I don't know how long their free shipping takes but I'm not in a hurry and didn't want to pay extra for expedited shipping. When they arrive, I'll put one in one side and compare to the existing V-LED on the other side. If they aren't as bright then I will pack them up and return them. But if they are at least as bright (or perhaps even brighter?), I will keep them. Then I will try them during the local Diabetes Association ride coming up in a couple of weeks to see how they handle the stress of constant use as strobes. I would hope that they can match the resilience of the iBrightstars that are less than half the price. In any case, I will post here to keep everyone updated on how they do.
Ok. I do not think they have a 7443 amber. They only have 7440 turns and the red 3157/7443 models. Please check in with them prior to purchase so they can better assist you. Their amber has been tested among many in direct sun light which is most important. As many amber LEDs are lost in direct sun light. Try that out and see what you find.

Thanks for sharing your experience. And yes this is correct it has a lot to do with the diode array and the housing itself and why deAutoLED does this testing for each model before launching it. They found the 3157 brake/tail, reverse and interior were the best for each location.

Returns are fairly simple: no restocking fee but they do remove shipping cost and customer pays return shipping. That has always been their policy. But if something else is an issue they always bend their policy to help their customers. But again no restocking fee and not something they have charged so they have edited their policy to reflect what they actually do.

Thank you

·
Registered
81 Posts
Many switched to deAutoLED and saw a brighter LED - as long as their customers are happy and people know what they offer that is all that matters at the end of all of this.

I understand your concern and I suggested to the team to add more information. But everything else you are saying is 100% incorrect and simply not true. I am sorry you feel this way and agree that photos and specs would be helpful but beyond that I cannot agree with the accusations because I know for a fact that is wrong and customer feedback says the opposite.

"Chine knockoff components" - no idea how you can conclude this. With a lifetime warranty these LEDs must work and last or they'd be out of business with failed LEDs. They have to use the highest quality material. But they also use the highest quality material so you can have a bright bulb you are happy with using daily.

deAutoLEDs = bright = happy customers = what you see online you see in person.
Okay, I'll give it one last response then I'll leave it be to not clutter this thread anymore. I've asked you VERY simple and direct questions and you haven't answered ANY of them. So let's try this a different way, I will list some FACTS that leave zero interpretation.

1. I asked for pictures of your product. You provided nothing but make references to DeAutokey as "them" and why they wont? Do you not work for "them" or not have the ability to post said pictures? To make it even clearer, I have ZERO intention to compare against other cheap bulbs. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure brands such as Philips, VLED's, DiodeDynamics, etc. are some of the most expensive and each have proprietary designs (and VERY clearly list specifications and components used)...
  2. I asked for simple specifications of your product. You consistently refuse and deflect this because you obviously don't have this information. Your response is to point to some other forum reviews that include absolutely zero factual input besides "OMG these are so much better than stock".
  3. I asked what diode/LED MFG you use. Again, you refuse and deflect this answer because either A) You don't know B) They are a made in China. If you actually used Samsung, CREE, OSRAM, etc. I guarantee you would proudly list that as every other MFG does.
  4. I asked why you have another Website listed as MHFAuto that seems to sell the EXACT same product and uses the exact same description. You have yet to even acknowledge this...
Everything I just stated above are Facts. You can answer them and provide the proof if there are falsities listed in those questions and/or statements. It's ironic, but many of the "reviews" you point to are often the VW/Audi/Toyota forums where you have a large presence and have been asked these very same questions a multitude of times and you fail to answer every time. You dig deep enough in those forums and it's widely discussed why DeAutoKey products comes in nondescript packaging. Also, seems to be a strong consensus you don't wan't your products compared to other cheap Chinese knock offs sold on Ebay, Amazon, AliExpress, etc. because they just happen to look identical...

You know what would clear this all up???? Statement like this: We make our products in X location utilizing Y components. Here are the specifications for YOU as the consumer to make an informed decision. Heck, you know what, here is a really cool picture showing the product we actually make!

One last thing - took me all but 5min to find a picture of your 921 LED bulb on the Tacoma forum you pointed too. Why did that have to be so difficult....

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,663 Posts
Closed until i decide what needs done

621 - 638 of 638 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.