Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how common this is, or if any of you have experienced it. Recently, I had one of the lifters fail in my 2014 SRT, it had ~ 50k miles on it at the time of failure. The failure of the lifter (which rotated 90 degrees) caused the cam lobe to wear out.

The repair ended up costing a little over $7000CAD (~5600USD). Unfortunately in Canada, us SRT owners get stuck with a 36k/3 year warranty, so I was out of luck with that, and Chrysler did not offer to help (although they did say I could go to the dealer for a free re-fix of my brake booster fix -- thanks).

Quite concerning is the fact that I am apprehensive that it may happen again because I don't truly know what the root cause was, and/or how common it is.

Attaching pictures of the camshaft & failed lifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
More common than it should be imo

Happened to my 2012 around 68K. Cylinder #6 lifter failed also wearing down the camshaft, causing a domino effect of other issues. In my case, cylinder #6 is also one of the MDS cylinders. The tech who did the repair said they see lifters failing most frequently on these cylinders because of the poor design/spring of the lifter itself. Really nothing you could have done to prevent it. Some get lucky and have 100k+ on their rigs and others, like you, see issues much sooner.

·
Registered
GC 2014 SRT 6.4, Nissan R34 GTR.
9 Posts
Can other people shed more light on this? Is it common? If so around what miles / kilometers is it happening? e.g. should we be replacing lifters after a certain distance?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can other people shed more light on this? Is it common? If so around what miles / kilometers is it happening? e.g. should we be replacing lifters after a certain distance?
That's the same answer I'm trying to get (i.e. how common is this - I'm led to believe that it is fairly common). I don't think it makes sense to proactively replace the lifters, I think the cost of the lifters plus labor wouldn't make sense. Fwiw the camshaft was a little over $100 but the lifters were well over $1k. And a lot of labor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Happened on my 2014 recently at about 65K miles. Failed lifter on #6, leading to replacement of cam, all lifters and passenger side head under powertrain warranty. I love my SRT, but I won't be keeping it once the MaxCare warranty runs out.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,272 Posts
Happened on my 2014 recently at about 65K miles. Failed lifter on #6, leading to replacement of cam, all lifters and passenger side head under powertrain warranty. I love my SRT, but I won't be keeping it once the MaxCare warranty runs out.
Just extend MaxCare problem solved :thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was at the dealership last summer and they had a 2014 SRT / 70K kms and the cam and lifters were getting done, mechanic said it is a common problem.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Because the lifter retainer is plastic it can break or spread apart and allow the lifter to rotate which it is not designed to do. other designs connect both lifters together with a tie bar or other designs. Also if the retainer screws loosen the lifter will fall out and again same problem.

·
Registered
2014 WK2 SRT
65 Posts
Happened to mine around 45k miles. Fortunately I was still under warranty. Don't think I can stomach it happening again.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,272 Posts
I'm at 101k Miles on MY12 SRT, I think it's luck of the draw honestly.

I change the Oil every 3 to 5k using the SRT oil filter. Every now and then ill toss some Liqui Moly Ms02.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys -

Just happened to my '14 at 45k miles. At the dealer now - trying to find parts (lifters on backorder). Sounds like also caused cam failure.

Thankfully covered under powertrain warranty (also have CNA extended). I'm glad the dealer here in Raleigh (Leith) has been good to work with.

Should get more details soon. Sorry for those paying out of pocket - that sucks. Especially on a common problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update on mine... Just picked up and we're back to normal... no knocking.

Attached is the official write-up.

Lifters and cam we're both on backorder and other dealers had stocked-up and we're trying to get my dealer to pay MSRP. Runaround for a few days but got it figured out.

The techs were really good. He said they work on a lot of the 6.4 and know what to look for. Got it all back and noticed some coolant leakage so had to get that fixed.

Overall, took quite a while but Leith Jeep in Raleigh serviced it well. All under powertrain warranty (45k miles).

Good luck guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had the same happen on my ‘13 SRT...went the aftermarket route, but the performance shop I deal with suggested lifters from the 6.1 Hemis as the 6.4’s were on a 3 month backorder everywhere. Also went a Comp racing cam. Runs like a scalded cat now. Lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2012 Jeep SRT with 80,000mils had lifter failure with a misfire on piston 6 . upto 2500revs.
only felt misfire and Engin stutter above 2500 revs below 2500 revs no issues. Engine seized upon me the same day I drove to the dealer to book it in .. This is a known manufacturer fault why is this not being replaced under warrant.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keat, so sorry to hear about your lifter failure. Mine was never covered under warranty. Sadly a year after the lifter and cam replacement, a valve spring broke requiring an engine replacement. So disappointed with my SRT/Hemi experience.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts