Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking to plastidip the chrome tail light pieces and I took the tail light off today and undid the one screw holding the chrome piece on but I still couldnt get it off the tail light. Does anyone know if there are any hidden screws or if the pieces are just double sided taped on?

Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you are using PlastiDip you shouldn't need to remove the chrome piece. Just put tape on the clear center portion, and tape around the outside. Leave roughly 1/8" to 1/4" between the tape and the chrome. Since there is a hard edge around the entire chrome piece when you pull the tape off the PlastiDip should peel off perfectly along that edge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am going to try to plastidip them. I will give that a try. That seems much easier then removing them completely. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Any time...just remember to put it on THICK for the last 3 coats (light for the first 2), and peel slowly...it should leave a nice clean edge. I did this to mine last year just the way I described...I am a PlastiDip hater all the way, but for the tail light bezels it just makes sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. Im not too fond of plastidip either but the black parts are expensive so I figure it can't hurt to give it a try before I order OEM ones.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yep, I hear you on that. I ended up painting all the chrome and window trim on my Jeep last year with SEM Trim Black Euro Jet, turned out great and held up amazing through the winter we've had up here so far. It's a lot of work, but I only spent roughly $120 to do all of it. PlastiDip and glossifier were only used on the tail bezels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm... never heard of the SEM.. would this be a better option overall? Because I am planning on doing the same thing. I was considering getting the chrome window trim vinyl wrapped but maybe this is a better option. Is the SEM removable or is it just paint?

·
Registered
747 Posts
SEM is a paint, and is very durable...being better is a personal opinion, but I think it's far better than a vinyl wrap. You'll have a heavy process ahead of you since you have to sand the "shine" off the chrome before you can paint, then apply adhesion promoter, then the paint. I also did the roof rails in their "grey" color, and painted all the black textured plastic with their satin black.

Here are a few pictures of the SEM applied over chrome and the window trim.

IMG_1473.JPG

Painted Window Trim 3.JPG

Painted Window Trim 4.JPG

IMG_1600.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! This is exactly what I want to do... I might try the wrap first if if all else fails I'll use SEM but I want to avoid the sanding of the trim since it so difficult to replace if i screw it up.

BTW your cars look awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts