Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all. First post here in the garage. Thought I would share the outcome of a front tow hook install on my 2014 JGC Summit. I have see a few that scared me away from doing them myself so I ensured that the dealer included this with my purchase. They realized they were also in over their head so they sent my Jeep to Performance Collision Center in Indianapolis (Indianapolis Collision Repair | Auto Body Indianaplolis | Indianapolis Body Shop | Performance Collision Center). They were able to to an excellent and very clean job with the Jeep know that I would be unhappy if it wasn't done well. Though it is a tight fit, they were able to cut just the middle "mesh" row on the outside of each side. I have ensured that I can attach hooks or straps (snug fit) without issue. Hopefully it helps others that might be looking to add tow hooks to their 2014 Summits.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BziX-BJYCJGlU1VtVXBtQXdHZkE/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BziX-BJYCJGleUd2V1pFWW5HeEE/edit?usp=sharing

I’ll be taking these pictures to my garage that does custom installs to be sure they can match this look! Do you think I should get red tow hooks? :)

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,848 Posts
I’ll be taking these pictures to my garage that does custom installs to be sure they can match this look! Do you think I should get red tow hooks? :)
Na no Red, on summit you want them to blend in and hide not stick out. I like how the black hook blends in with the lower grill on mine you barely know they are there when walking by it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Na no Red, on summit you want them to blend in and hide not stick out. I like how the black hook blends in with the lower grill on mine you barely know they are there when walking by it.
Guess you are right. The black ones would look better on my Summit. I have a Sangria Summit which really to most it looks black. Only in direct sun you can see the glint of dark purple.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Guess you are right. The black ones would look better on my Summit. I have a Sangria Summit which really to most it looks black. Only in direct sun you can see the glint of dark purple.
My fascia web is different from the 2014. I have a 5.7 and also skid plates. Hope they won’t cause any problems!

Going next week for an estimate.

·
Registered
2015 GC High Alt.
103 Posts
This is a great thread! I'm actually thinking of putting some led off road lighting exactly where you guys are placing the tow hooks. I need more lighting on country roads and think this may look best. Need to do a little more research.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Place was re-opened today. Got there and saw the estimator and main tech. Explained to him that I want tow hooks installed. He looked through the main window and he saw my Summit . He said that it could not be done! I asked why. He said that there is no way to add tow hooks because there is no place to fasten them. He also added that the electronics were in the spot where the tow hooks would come through.
He said sorry!!!! My surprise was that he never looked under the vehicle and I got the idea that he was thinking the tow hooks would be on the outer edge. When I said that the plastic grate would have to be cut he said it was the chrome bezel that was the concern.
This is a place that does a lot of work for the local Ford and Jeep dealership in the area. I was told they would be the experts on the installation. I was not too happy at all. He also added Summit does not have any tow hooks from the factory and are not necessary , so why would I want them?
I am looking for another place to get another option!

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,342 Posts
Place was re-opened today. Got there and saw the estimator and main tech. Explained to him that I want tow hooks installed. He looked through the main window and he saw my Summit . He said that it could not be done! I asked why. He said that there is no way to add tow hooks because there is no place to fasten them. He also added that the electronics were in the spot where the tow hooks would come through.
He said sorry!!!! My surprise was that he never looked under the vehicle and I got the idea that he was thinking the tow hooks would be on the outer edge. When I said that the plastic grate would have to be cut he said it was the chrome bezel that was the concern.
This is a place that does a lot of work for the local Ford and Jeep dealership in the area. I was told they would be the experts on the installation. I was not too happy at all. He also added Summit does not have any tow hooks from the factory and are not necessary , so why would I want them?
I am looking for another place to get another option!
Don't you have a 2018? He might be right that the grill (and other stuff) is different on a 2018 from the 2014's. Many have done the 2014's but you might be the first to try it on a 2018!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't you have a 2018? He might be right that the grill (and other stuff) is different on a 2018 from the 2014's. Many have done the 2014's but you might be the first to try it on a 2018!!!
Had to go back to the dealership because of a mix-up with Sirius Guardian and spotted the Service Manager. I mentioned what the assistant service advisor said about the warranty and he did not agree . He started to look info on his computer for part descriptions and said he needed to look under my Summit. We went to the parking area and he crawled under. He said there would be no problem with cutting a slit for the tow hooks but had to check any wiring because it controls the air bag deployment in case of a front end collision. He will get back to me with any info maybe next week after he talks with Mopar parts.
He also said he did not understand why the parts listed tow hooks for a 2017 but not a 2018 Summit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got a call back.
Service manager called Mopar to ask about the tow hooks for the 2018 Summit. They said in September when the new catalogs come out there should be part numbers for the hooks.
Since this is a leased vehicle the parts must be genuine and installed by the dealership.
I already checked with the leasing company and they agreed with the dealership rules about installation. Gotta wait but it looks promising.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got a call back.
Service manager called Mopar to ask about the tow hooks for the 2018 Summit. They said in September when the new catalogs come out there should be part numbers for the hooks.
Since this is a leased vehicle the parts must be genuine and installed by the dealership.
I already checked with the leasing company and they agreed with the dealership rules about installation. Gotta wait but it looks promising.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 CC/LB
85 Posts
Pasadena 2018
Great photo's thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 CC/LB
85 Posts
Here is a photo of my 2016 JGC with the Tow Hook Modifications.
So we can use our RoadMaster Nighthawk Tow Bar

We also added running boards to the JGC.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 CC/LB
85 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Installed the Ohio Diesel Summit-style recovery points on my 2015 WK2 today. Did it without removing the front fascia at all using a Dremel to make the holes. Only needed to remove the plastic splash shield where the skid plate will be soon. The hardest part was holding the parts up while threading the bolt.

Next project will be to address the surface corrosion on the undercarriage when I install the skid plates.

You might get a deal on a pair if you contact them directly.

Part Link: https://www.ohiodieselparts.com/pro...it-tow-hooks-recovery-point-years-11-17-black

Reactions: jbburf

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am still trying to get tow hooks for my 2018 Summit. Mopar first said that I need the red hooks and also the kit from the silver ones. But it stated that they are not compatible on a 2018. So parts at Mopar said sorry.
Went to the local Jeep dealer and they are afraid to install tow hooks because of the camera and other sensors. The service manager said the sensors would be compromised. Also at the dealership they do not want to cut in the fascia.
So I need to find someone who has done it to a 2018 Summit with success!:confused:

PS. The general manager said it will spoil the look and a Summit does not need tow hooks. I asked why I could get skid plates? He said the tow hooks are not made for a Summit and that’s why Mopar diesn’t have them available for dealer install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Summit is 2014 export version. Is true that I had to cut the fascia, but it did have the threads for the bolts. At least the angle of the camera is not on the way of the hooks, do not know about other sensors, particularly on the 2018. I prefer to put the hooks than to tow it form the wrong place if it get stuck somewhere.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts