Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Negotiator
5,363 Posts
Welclome to JeepGarage!! The mounting points should still be there on the summit as it is still the same frame as the other models. You'll just have to buy that and probably can have the dealer install them.

·
Administrator
11,462 Posts
While the mounting points are still likely in the frame, the fascia most likely will need to be modified (cut out) to accomodate installing the towing setup...from the photos of the Summit, those spots may be covered up.

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Summit 5.7L 165,000mi going for 200K
26 Posts
Anyone tried to install the front hooks on the '14 Summit yet ? I want to ! Only problem is finding a nice clean looking bezel to snap into the opening I would need to dremel out of the lower grille. Wish they had "knock-outs" but I'm sure they assumed nobody would buy a Summit and want Tow Hooks. Any ideas on how to dress it up clean ? BBrowning - any updates ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone tried to install the front hooks on the '14 Summit yet ? I want to ! Only problem is finding a nice clean looking bezel to snap into the opening I would need to dremel out of the lower grille. Wish they had "knock-outs" but I'm sure they assumed nobody would buy a Summit and want Tow Hooks. Any ideas on how to dress it up clean ? BBrowning - any updates ?
Picked my Cherry Red Summit on the 6th. I have purchased a Blue Ox Base kit for towing behind my motor home. It's for the 2013 models but I believe it will work for the 2014 Summit as well. I will have to modify the lower fascia to accommodate the kit. I will be doing this next month, so I will post the procedure when I'm done.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy
534 Posts
The skid plate and tow hooks are my two biggest concerns about getting the summit. Apparently we're not supposed to want a nice stereo when we offroad :confused:

It looks like I can just order the skid plates from mopar, but without holes for the tow hooks, I'm not sure what I will do :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any update on this? I purchased my 14 Summit three weeks ago and was considering installing the tow hooks, but I too have no idea how it will work without the factory installed holes that are on the Overland or previous Summit models. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
Your gonna have to cut the lower facia grille for the hooks

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Mounts are the same as all other jeeps EXCEPT Australian models - apparently we get special GC that never get bogged, so Detroit made sure we cannot fit recovery hooks - very thoughtful of them.. Agh!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I cannot understand why Jeep dropped the tow hooks from the Summit. They were standard on the 2013. All I had to had was the skid plate package. Seems like anyone would tow hooks on the premium model.

·
Administrator
11,462 Posts
I cannot understand why Jeep dropped the tow hooks from the Summit. They were standard on the 2013. All I had to had was the skid plate package. Seems like anyone would tow hooks on the premium model.
The simple and specific answer is that the MY14 Summit is marketed as a luxury 4WD vehicle, not an off-road 4WD vehicle...key word "marketed". If you want to add the tow-hooks you can do it after the fact, but it does require cutting out the front lower fascia to get to the mounting points and provide clearance for the tow-hooks, themselves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased the tow hooks. But i could not figure the best way to remove all of the front bumper and the front guard is not knock out, and I do not want to cut it myself. Any solutions? By the way all the mounting holes are intact and ready for use.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,928 Posts
I just purchased the tow hooks. But i could not figure the best way to remove all of the front bumper and the front guard is not knock out, and I do not want to cut it myself. Any solutions? By the way all the mounting holes are intact and ready for use.

yeah I was considering doing the same but need a clean look and going to either modify a cover or a bezel. Depends on how far out the hook sits looks like it sits very far back so maybe cutting/modifying a cover like this will work. same pattern and material and only $10 bucks so I ordered one going to see if I can create a cover before I decided to cut the lower grill. if that doesn't come out well may try the same on a bezel. If it doesn't look right no big deal only a ten dollar loose.

problem is the that lower grill material on summit is tiered not flat like some of the covers out there so may be hard to get a clean look.

ideally being able to extend the hook out a little farther and then just cut a small hole to accommodate the shaft would be cleanest but modifying the hook would be no easy task and not one I would want to attempt. so will see how this goes :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Jeep
38 Posts
Silvermax... Did you bail on this project as well? I bought the hooks and started looking at add them to my 14 Summit... Major pain to remove and install like on Overland. I agree, a pain just looking at everything. That lower fascia on the Summit is different I think than the Overland (besides the panel cutouts).. I am going to do some more research before jumping into it.... First observation might be to use a piece of flat bar 3/4"x2" about 8" long. Use the bracket in the tow hook kit for a template to drill mounting holes to frame. The two mounting holes to the frame are pretty easy to get to. Maybe lay flat bar in place and use to mark inside of the grille from frame side. Then cut out flat bar hole. Rebuild the hook portion and bolt or weld to the flat bar. Could be installed then by sliding through hole and bolt in to frame. I believe it would be strong enough to be pulled out from getting stuck... I believe it would be as strong as factory setup... An opinions or suggestions here cheerfully accepted..... Will continue post once decided what path I am going down....

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,928 Posts
Silvermax... Did you bail on this project as well? I bought the hooks and started looking at add them to my 14 Summit... Major pain to remove and install like on Overland. I agree, a pain just looking at everything. That lower fascia on the Summit is different I think than the Overland (besides the panel cutouts).. I am going to do some more research before jumping into it.... First observation might be to use a piece of flat bar 3/4"x2" about 8" long. Use the bracket in the tow hook kit for a template to drill mounting holes to frame. The two mounting holes to the frame are pretty easy to get to. Maybe lay flat bar in place and use to mark inside of the grille from frame side. Then cut out flat bar hole. Rebuild the hook portion and bolt or weld to the flat bar. Could be installed then by sliding through hole and bolt in to frame. I believe it would be strong enough to be pulled out from getting stuck... I believe it would be as strong as factory setup... An opinions or suggestions here cheerfully accepted..... Will continue post once decided what path I am going down....
Just recently completed it. I pick up on another thread where someone had done it and I started posting there. Take a look here if you want to see how it went.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/2014-summit-front-tow-hooks-76230-2.html#post1046986

·
Registered
`15 High Altitude 5.7
143 Posts
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/wk2-front-tow-hook-installation-pic-heavy-15288-12.html#post850756

I installed them on my '14 summit. I had to cut the facia. I cut more than i was hoping to, so added some trim to clean it up a bit. Bumper is much harder to remove but doable. Mounts are the same as all other jeeps.
Thanks for the great pics and documentation. I just picked up my 2014 GC Summit last week and I'd like to add red tow hooks (among other things). Your post has been really helpful. I'll post detailed explanation and pictures once I do my installation.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.