Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Overland 4x4
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 JGC Overland 4x4 V8 and like it a lot. Except for the uconnect media center, which is slow but also which I can NEVER SEE because of the glare from the sun. I often drive with the sunroof down which makes it worse.

Can anyone who has owned both models give a comparison? Is the new model based on an LED screen (higher contrast ratio)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 2012 JGC Overland 4x4 V8 and like it a lot. Except for the uconnect media center, which is slow but also which I can NEVER SEE because of the glare from the sun. I often drive with the sunroof down which makes it worse.

Can anyone who has owned both models give a comparison? Is the new model based on an LED screen (higher contrast ratio)?
I only drove a 2012 for a short time however the new uconnect light years better. It's fast. It has a few bugs but I'm expecting a software update to fix it. Glare is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I never have issues with seeing my 430N. Actually, I take that back. When I back out of my garage, and the headlights are on (screen dimmed), and the sun comes through JUST right, I can't see it. This is fixed in about 10 seconds when it turns the headlights off and goes back to full brightness.

·
Registered
2012 Overland 4x4
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never have issues with seeing my 430N. Actually, I take that back. When I back out of my garage, and the headlights are on (screen dimmed), and the sun comes through JUST right, I can't see it. This is fixed in about 10 seconds when it turns the headlights off and goes back to full brightness.
Wow, I wish that were true for me. The issue is non-stop for me. When you take the weak contrast ratio, add sun glare, have the sunroof open, and then put on sunglasses, it basically means it is impossible to read the screen.

Can anyone confirm if the new Uconnect 2014 model is an LED type screen (AMOLED?) In the photos the contrast looks vastly improved, but all the photos I've seen so far look like they were not taken in direct sunlight.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Are you wearing polarized sunglasses?

I usually only buy polarized sunglassess and they make it hard to read most of the displays in most of my cars.

Make sure you have the daytime brightness set as high as it can go and try another pair of sunglasses to see if they don't distort the screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ctrlbrk have you messed with the interior dimmer switch? Even if you think it's set to brightest there's one more notch to go up and it will set the screen to brightest especially useful if you have glare or sun shining inside the vehicle. I would be very surprised if the screen was not bright enough on this setting.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know that the 8.5 inch screen in the 2013 chrysler 300C is very bright...

Zero issues here, with the pano open, at noon..and i'm in the middle east (hot &sunny).

so i think the jeep being the 2nd gen of the 8.5 screens, it's going to be better

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,883 Posts
I know that the 8.5 inch screen in the 2013 chrysler 300C is very bright...

Zero issues here, with the pano open, at noon..and i'm in the middle east (hot &sunny).

so i think the jeep being the 2nd gen of the 8.5 screens, it's going to be better
It might be second generation uConnect, but the Nav system is a different brand.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
For glare, you can try some sort of screen protector -- like for Ipad use. I'm pretty sure they make anti-reflective ones -- which you could cut down. I use protectors on both my 430Ns, but I don't think they help for glare (don't have that problem). The screen protectors do help for fingerprints, and scratches.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Wow, I wish that were true for me. The issue is non-stop for me. When you take the weak contrast ratio, add sun glare, have the sunroof open, and then put on sunglasses, it basically means it is impossible to read the screen.

Can anyone confirm if the new Uconnect 2014 model is an LED type screen (AMOLED?) In the photos the contrast looks vastly improved, but all the photos I've seen so far look like they were not taken in direct sunlight.
Nobody takes pictures of their screens in direct sunlight. I think you've probably got the brightness setting down, my 430N has quite high contrast.

That said, with my polarized sunglasses, I can move my head to a position where it blacks the screen out some. It's tough and involves leaning forward and tilting and such (found it wile trying to reach into the back).

AMOLED is a Samsung proprietary technology, so you're definitely not going to get that (also, it basically winds down to being a special LED backlight). LED is the same as LCD, just with a different source of backlighting. Standard LCDs use a normal bulb, LED displays use LEDs to backlight an LCD screen.

It's possible your unit just has a bad bulb (ie warranty issue). I drove with my roof open back in sunny South Florida and had no issues seeing the 430N, despite direct sunlight that was very intense.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts

·
Registered
Limited
1,660 Posts
Sunglasses or not I can barely see my screen if the sun is out. Don't have this issue on cloudy days. This is really frustrating because it makes the back up camera useless. I still love my Jeep but this was not an issue with my prior vehicle.
Maybe I need to check the settings........

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
With or without my polarized sunglasses, I have not had one single issue seeing the screen in any kind of light. Not so with my Lexus navigation. Polarized glasses would turn it black with the slightest head tilt.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I ran into this problem today. I had the sunroof open and the sun was shining directly on the screen. I could see, but the glare was making it more difficult to make our some of the buttons on screen and song text. I closed the roof and that solved the issue for me. I'm planning on tenting the front windows this Friday, so that should resolve the issue with the side windows before I even experience it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts